Ipad - Any Good?

Greetings

Since I move around a lot, I'm looking for a mobile entertainment device to stop me from getting bored when I'm waiting for something/someone or stuck in a mile long traffic jam. This would mostly be for in-car use, can't see it being useful anywhere else where I just use a laptop.

Has anyone got this thing and if so, would you recommend it? I'm slightly biased since it seems to be rather expensive for what is essentially a web browser, video and audio player and not much else. I'm also slightly worried that being Apple, it will keep colliding with my PC habbits - both limiting file sharing between the two devices due to lack of support for a given format and having to get used to a different interface and web browser.

So is it just a toy you'll get bored with or something that's actually handy? I'm not going to go to Starbucks and read an online newspaper every morning on it :giggle:

I am a mac-addict and I DON"T recommend you that.

It's like a big Ipod-touch. It's only good for games and web-surfing.....in case you are too lasy to go to your PC. Or if you have A smart-house and an app to manage it.

save money for Iphone-4 with HD video recording.

I absolutely love mine. Using it now, use it daily.

It's so much comfier and nicer to use than any laptop/desktop I've used. Don't regret buying it one bit.

Handy, looks nice, comfortable, portable, battery life trumps any laptop, a more natural way to read/browse the web.

I just love using it. So do the other 6 people I know that have them. It's a lovely bit of kit IMO :)

Or an HP Slate apparently.

I don't want an iPhone, I have some old Nokia that drives me up the wall with how complicated it is. Besides, I don't want a mobile phone but something with a big screen that can be mounted in the car whenever I use it. A tablet PC might not be as neat as an original tv/dvd/obc, but it's going to be a hell of a lot more useful.

Bronz, if I'm correct it has GPS, have you tried it out? Can it be used for navigation or just for pinpointing your position and map browsing?

Also, is the 32GB good enough in terms of capacity?

I had one for a while, they are awesome, much better than a laptop or those awful netbooks if you just use the web and don't need powerful programs. The 3G models have GPS built in, the wi-fi only doesn't.

I'd wait a few months, Apple might be releasing gen 2 before Christmas so the current ones will be cheaper, theres also rumors of a smaller version. If you do get one, they go on eBay for just a bit less than RRP anyway if you decide to sell.

Also I'd stay clear of other tablets coming out - iOS is awesome, it just works so well.

File format support is kinda shitty, but VLC is coming to it soon so that will sort that out to a degree!

Latest iOS is coming end of September I think, so you'll have multitasking plus a load of other stuff. I didn't find the lack of multitasking an issue though.

Ok so one more question here because I have a feeling that my mate is talking rubbish.

Can you upload music/videos that you haven't bought in the iTunes store?

Also does the lack of multi-tasking create any major problems?

I don't know if it's different between iPod Touch and iPad, but as long as you import the music you've downloaded by other means, into iTunes, then you should be able to add it to your iPad, regardless of where you've got it from.

Unless it's in a crazy format iPads are unable to play.

Same with videos, I can't remember what format it has to be, but as long as it's in the correct format, it doesn't matter where you downloaded it, it should work, just import it into iTunes. And you may have to have the file stored in "My Videos" in "My Documents", I can't remember.

It's like a big Ipod-touch. It's only good for games and web-surfing.....

That's the whole point of it. It's designed solely for surfing the web, social networking and of course, the apps.

It does these things very, very well. Better than any other hand held device in fact I'd say.

I had one for a while, they are awesome, much better than a laptop or those awful netbooks if you just use the web and don't need powerful programs. The 3G models have GPS built in, the wi-fi only doesn't.

I'd wait a few months, Apple might be releasing gen 2 before Christmas so the current ones will be cheaper, theres also rumors of a smaller version. If you do get one, they go on eBay for just a bit less than RRP anyway if you decide to sell.

Also I'd stay clear of other tablets coming out - iOS is awesome, it just works so well.

So wait, they made an ipod touch, then they made a bigger one. And now they're slowly making the bigger one smaller again? Jeeesus apple.

• Like 2

Don't own one but have used other people's a lot, even before they were released in the UK.

Surfing is a joy, as is watching video. The screen isn't very pixel dense but is still impressive. It's a great device that I would buy if I had disposable income.

However, seeing as my phone runs flash 10.1 it would feel like a downgrade in that respect - Apple's arrogance over the whole issue really annoys me.

However, seeing as my phone runs flash 10.1 it would feel like a downgrade in that respect - Apple's arrogance over the whole issue really annoys me.

Exclaimation mark-THIS-Exclaimation mark.

Apple would benefit so much from introducing flash software. If they werent so proud/stubborn.

as for ipads they are cool. i would have one if i could justify spending that sort of money, not saying i think there expensive, just that i am poor.

as for gps/sat nav - pretty sure you can download a tom-tom app - but IMO would think it would be too big to mount in your car in a way that was safe to use and convienient.

from the outside looking in your reasoning for purchasing it seem wrong, my way of perspective is, if your in doubt about buying it then you probably dont need it.could you manage with out one? if so then i wouldntt bother. just buy a tom-tom and a bumper book of su-doku puzzles to keep you occupied.

but then again it's always nice to treat yourself :P

Yeah I wondered that but apparently Apple sell millions of iPod touches. I've got an iPhone and 90% of what I use it for* couldn't be done with an iPod Touch so I really don't see the point. The iPhone is just a million times more useful. I've never seen an iPad but I reckon they would be nice to use for just general surfing though.

*When out and about, for settling arguments via the medium of wikipedia. And for cheating in pub quizzes.

P.S. Inur - I think only the 3G version of the iPad has GPS? I may be wrong on that.

, if your in doubt about buying it then you probably dont need it.could you manage with out one?

I like that.

Tomm I think you're right about the 3G having GPS. That's the one I'd go for anyway, no point in saving a few quid and then having to buy a new device to get functionality you could have got in the first place.

Perhaps I'll wait for the HP Slate, it might be more of a PC. Been reading up on the iPad and it looks like it has a few nasty limitations, the lack of multi-tasking being a bit worrying especially as I'd not infrequently be using it for navigation + video.

Still not sure though. Someone recommended I go to an iStore or whatever this place is called and try one out myself.

Perhaps I'll wait for the HP Slate, it might be more of a PC. Been reading up on the iPad and it looks like it has a few nasty limitations, the lack of multi-tasking being a bit worrying especially as I'd not infrequently be using it for navigation + video.

Multi-tasking support arrives in iOS 4.2 I believe.

Yeah the multitasking thing is stupid but they're going to fix that very soon with the next update. I have no idea why they haven't done it sooner.

I bet the HP slate will be rubbish by comparison. I hope it won't, but everyone who copies Apple seem to produce things that are way better on paper but in real life completely suck to use. We can all hope for a quicker, smaller, lighter, more open device that retains all the useability and responsiveness of an i-thing, whilst being cheaper, but it won't happen.

I bet the HP slate will be rubbish by comparison. I hope it won't, but everyone who copies Apple seem to produce things that are way better on paper but in real life completely suck to use. We can all hope for a quicker, smaller, lighter, more open device that retains all the useability and responsiveness of an i-thing, whilst being cheaper, but it won't happen.

This. Don't get me wrong - I kinda hate macs and the whole i(x) culture...

But there is no better phone than an iphone.

And

There is no better way to enjoy the internet and do simple tasks than on an ipad. The interface just makes it a great experience. Its simple, easy to use and very well designed. Flash - Blah blah blah - dont really miss it and rarely use the computer now to go on the internet - I just use the phone. The ipad is just a better version (I just cant justify the price)

Only drawback = by apples own ad campaign - "incredible technology at an incredible price..."

This. Don't get me wrong - I kinda hate macs and the whole i(x) culture...

But there is no better phone than an iphone.

Totally got the same thing for me. I really hate Mac's. The OS is just so horrible to use after having been on Windows/Linux for... since I started using computers. 8-9 years I guess.

Second to that - the price of them.

Third, because it's a fashion.

What I REALLY despise is that people get brainwashed by people in the media industries that non-Mac computers are so massively inferior that they go out and buy Mac's when they only want it for every-day browsing.

Even in media industries you don't need a Mac. Just learn to set up and maintain a PC properly, and only have to spend half as much money.

Despite all that - I've had naughty thoughts about getting an iPhone a few times now, purely because of the functionality. A few friends have them, and they really are incredible.

Especially the new one - the video quality is a real stunner, considering it's a phone.

I haven't crumbled yet, though :P

I expect there would be a similar thing for the iPad, other than the lack of Flash and USB/SD ports.

Horrendously over priced and people think they're better than they are - but the best in their category on the market for what you want.

That was almost painful to type :giggle:

Horrendously over priced and people think they're better than they are - but the best in their category on the market for what you want.

How can something be completely overpriced and be the category leader?

The knowledge of the existence of the iPad was around for a long long time before it became available. If it was possible for someone to create something as good for less money then they would have done so - what business wouldn't want to seize that opportunity? As it is, companies release similar devices which don't really come close.

I should state at this point that I don't actually see the point in the iPad, and don't plan on getting one. Although if I was pissing money I'd have one just to keep around the flat for simple 'I wonder...' queries.

Apple in general, on the other hand, I think do a great job. I have a Macbook, an iPhone 4 and an iPod (although that's now redundant with the iPhone). I used PCs for my whole computing life until about a year ago. I am proficient at building and maintaining them. With Apple/OSX, I don't have to. That's worth the extra cash for me as a busy individual who relies on these pieces of kit to be productive. Any time spent maintaining, building, virus scanning etc is time I could spend working.

How can something be completely overpriced and be the category leader?

Actually - that's a very good point.

I guess the prodcution costs for something like that would be rather high.

It's still more than anyone I know would be willing to pay for such a device, though.

Perhaps not over-priced, just... too expensive.