Homemade Pad Backings

Sam T

Hey guys,

I'm doing a project at school, of which is too make a set of brake pad backings. I am going into this completely blind, am I have only basic ideas in my head.

Basically, I am asking if i am doing anything obviously wrong, or something i need to watch/look out for whiles doing this?

I have started of with:

post-23842-0-53045200-1288887926_thumb.j

I have worked out basic measurements from observing a TNN backing.

post-23842-0-62702200-1288887995_thumb.j

From there i have worked out :

post-23842-0-20803000-1288888039_thumb.j

post-23842-0-68373800-1288888067_thumb.j

Any constructive advice is much appriciated!

Thanks,

Sam x

You need to recess them for the pads to fit into, otherwise the material is just gonna come straight off unless you have some uber glue/ some other kind of attachment method

This isn't my final peice, it's just how far I am at the moment. Thanks for the advice. :)

This isn't my final peice, it's just how far I am at the moment. Thanks for the advice. :)

Sweet, they're just gonna look like the rockman backings to be honest, but if it's the work involved that the project is based on, then win (Y)

Do you have access to a milling machine? A recess will be hard to cut without one

Sweet, they're just gonna look like the rockman backings to be honest, but if it's the work involved that the project is based on, then win (Y)

Do you have access to a milling machine? A recess will be hard to cut without one

I have at school, i wanted to do the whole thing using CAD, but our milling machine isnt small enough. Hopefully it will be ok to make the recess. :)

I have at school, i wanted to do the whole thing using CAD, but our milling machine isnt small enough. Hopefully it will be ok to make the recess. :)

I don't follow this bit?

Nice job so far. As a heads up, the 'standard' dimensions for the pad recess are 47mm long x 7mm wide x 4mm deep, with an 11mm x 7mm x 2mm central section. Unless you're going for specific TNN versions, then it's probably best to use these dimensions as many more pads will fit 'em!

You'll probably need a custom tool to be made to make the recess for the O-ring, and also be aware of the tolerances on that section as they're very tight! (I had a bit of a nightmare when deciding to use 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 or 2mm O-rings! :S )

Good luck,

Why?

Because a couple of years ago (I think, maybe a bit more) a band of Mod's got particularly annoyed at the 12 year olds on the forum saying things like "pyfons *** innit", and put a word filter on "F-T-W". I'd guess they simply never removed it.

Ask OBM - I seem to remember him being one of the figureheads :P

It was because the more regular members started using it in pretty much every post to take the piss out of those who used it seriously. It was originally filtered to 'and jam' so that you'd end up with something like 'yea i rekkon pyfons and jam' which was, of course, hilarious.

EDIT: Turns out and jam is filtered too...

Edited by JD™

Random insult about there being no point in having senior members.

I figure it actually gives a solid piece of evidence for the 'point' of SMs. Every rule needs an exception, and SMs are the exception to the swear filter rule. Peace at last, where's JT when he's needed?

That's all tongue in cheek by the way, mentally insert the emoticons where you see fit.

Edited by JD™