Lacing Patterns ...3X Against Radial

Alex Dark

Anyone got any idea roughly how much weight you would save radial lacing when compared to a standard 3 x build? Double butted spokes.

Cheers

edit: oh and alloy nips versus brass.... the weight difference for 32 :)

A set of 32 12mm brass nipples weighs 29g, and a set of 32 14mm nipples weighs 32g. If I'm saving time packing spokes I usually just weigh them out instead of counting them 'cos it's loads quicker. Alloy nipples are so light you can't do that at all - they're noticeably lighter when you hold a bag of alloy in one hand and brass in the other. Obviously the saving is going to be less than 29g or 32g (depending on size), but that's still a reasonable amount to save for very little effort and it's a good place to save it too (rotational weight and all that jazz). Not to mention they look pimp as shit ;)

The savings on spokes varies a lot as it depends on your wheel size and so on. Seems to usually be around 10-20g from my experience, as Ali said earlier.

While we're here... Can you run 3x on the non disk side of a, say, H hub or BUB hub with such a small flange?

You can indeed. I laced my Echo TR front disc hub to an Echo TR rim 3x both sides to try and stop flex when spinning.

While we're here... Can you run 3x on the non disk side of a, say, H hub or BUB hub with such a small flange?

I'm running 4x both sides on my rear Atomz hub. The spokes do slightly cross the spoke heads of the 1st cross, although it doesn't appear to be causing any issues and is noice and stiff!