Boredom Of Training Balance

omgnoseat

Hello,

I'm a reasonably good rider in terms of power moves. I don't have any natural or technical objects in my enviroment to train on. As a result, I never trained any "balance" moves (pigeons, wedges, riding skiny objects etc) but am reasonably good in "power moves" (sidehops, bunyhops, pedal ups, gaps). Being advanced in power moves and a noob in balance moves, makes the training in balance moves incredibly boring.

I went for a ride today and expermiented with wedges on slanted objects, but I just couldn't put any effort in it because it was sooooo boring :P

Any tips to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm a reasonably good rider in terms of power moves. I don't have any natural or technical objects in my enviroment to train on. As a result, I never trained any "balance" moves (pigeons, wedges, riding skiny objects etc) but am reasonably good in "power moves" (sidehops, bunyhops, pedal ups, gaps). Being advanced in power moves and a noob in balance moves, makes the training in balance moves incredibly boring.

I went for a ride today and expermiented with wedges on slanted objects, but I just couldn't put any effort in it because it was sooooo boring :P

Any tips to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

Wedges are FUN!!

Your a troll!! TGS WHOREEE...Sack that shit off and get out on some diffrent obstacles. Learning is all part of the fun :)

Wedges are FUN!!

Your a troll!! TGS WHOREEE...Sack that shit off and get out on some diffrent obstacles. Learning is all part of the fun :)

Haha i'm not that much of a tgs whore, I like to do lines.

Learning is fun..but not when it feels like it so much beneath my level.

Haha i'm not that much of a tgs whore, I like to do lines.

Then maybe it's more a problem with your head. What makes you think balance lines are beneath your level if you can't do them? You're only as good at balance as you are, you can't assume you 'should' be as good at them as you are with power moves. Get out there and practise till you are, and you'll be a more rounded rider (Y)

Then maybe it's more a problem with your head. What makes you think balance lines are beneath your level if you can't do them? You're only as good at balance as you are, you can't assume you 'should' be as good at them as you are with power moves. Get out there and practise till you are, and you'll be a more rounded rider (Y)

I knew this would come up :P the moves feel beneath my level because I should've mastered them if I would've taken the normal training approach. But I skipped the whole balance part because of my crappy riding enviroment, thus never learned the balance :(

take your brakes off (seriously)

Thought about this, but I think that most brakeless moves are only possible when your already advanced at the move. I couldn't imagine learning back hops without a brake :P

Balance stuff is ace fun, find yerself a long curved curb preferably with grass or dirt behind it, so it's lower than the curb and try to ride as far as you can round the curb.

That can be more fun than it sounds.

I did this today, I tried it 2 times, got bored and quit,

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Evidently it's not beneath your level as you can't/don't do it. I find it fun to mix up power moves with more techy stuff. Tends to help me out a lot more when I need it. So attack it with an "I need to do this" attitude as opposed to an "I'll give it a go but it'll be boring" one.

Maybe set yourself aside 5-15minutes or so in every ride (or everyday) to train balance. You should be able to do this without getting to "bored".

You could get a long piece of wood to put in your garage and practice skinnies on that when you get home from work every night or try working on wedge type balance up against the wall of your house or between some walls and pallets.

This should help you basic balance and then you can start integrating it with your power moves (sidehop to skinny ride for instance) and probably find it becomes an enjoyable part of your riding.

Edited by Lilley

Ride ten foot over a pit of spikes. Learn to balance or die :}

Simples.

On the flip side, assuming this is applicable to you, get the girlfriend involved... I'm sure you can work out the rest and where the motivation comes from :P