Why Doesn't My Headset Fit?

liam n

i have a NEW FSA ORBIT XL2 MTB HEADSET (1 1/8")

and an onza comp (1 1/8" )

the headset doesn't slide in nor does it really fit in , this is by fractions of a mm

wy is this? should i hit the headset in gentley with a hammer or sand it a tad?

help me out :P

thanks liam

Press it in with a vice. or smash the f**k out of it with a hammer, either way it should be snug and not slide in
Don't listen to this.

If you use a hammer to fit a headset you are unlikely to fit it straight and there is also a good chance you will wreck the frame! Get a bike shop to fit it using the proper tool!

Pressing headset cups into frames is one of the only jobs I get the local bike shop to do for me...

• Like 1

do not do either of those things. If you are not confident take it to a bike shop. The best way to fit a headset without damaging anything is with a headset press, if you dont have one a vice works ok but you need to be careful to get it straight or else you could damage the frame. The last option is the hammer and a block of wood (I often do this myself) this is not recommended as it is most likely to damage stuff. If you must do it then line everything up properly, put a block of wood on the headset to protect it and then gently knock it with a hammer (should not take too much force). If you are careful and you know what to do you can use any method safely but I would still recommend getting it done properly.

Don't listen to this.

If you use a hammer to fit a headset you are unlikely to fit it straight and there is also a good chance you will wreck the frame! Get a bike shop to fit it using the proper tool!

Pressing headset cups into frames is one of the only jobs I get the local bike shop to do for me...

the hammer bit i was being sarcastic about :P but the vice works plenty good enough so long as your not cack handed about it

I just line mine up square so it is holding in itself but sticking out.

Then I get hold of the frame at the chainstays/seatstays and whack it once on a block of wood with a good swing.

Does in in one hit.

and yes I am serious I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

Edit: the block of wood is on top of a wall/bench

Edited by Matt Vandart

You can make the tool yourself with a long section of threaded bar, some large washers, some smaller washers and some large bolts.

Large/ small washer at either end of the bar on either side of the headset cup, tighten a bolt onto either end, if the washers are the right size it will slide in nice and straight.

Ive used big bits of wood and hammers to put headset cups in for years aswell, better if you can squeeze it in slowly with a vice though. You can make a press with a bit of threaded bar, nuts, washers and couple of squares of thick plywood :)

Hahaa, I've only ever beat cups into frames and have so far not felt any symptoms of a flared headtube.

I'm relatively careful though..

I've seen someone on here I think, who made a press out of some threaded bar and some other bits. It wouldn't take much to make one.

Just a general question:

Are headset cups supposed to be lightly greased or not prior to installation? I've heard both sides from many different sources, but leaning more towards installing it dry? Curious.

Ive never greased one yet, it might help reduce any creaking though if the cups arent a snug fit in the frame (old frame which has seen many headsets).

I've seen someone on here I think, who made a press out of some threaded bar and some other bits. It wouldn't take much to make one.

Whatever gave you that idea? :shifty:

You can make a press with a bit of threaded bar, nuts, washers and couple of squares of thick plywood :)

Just a general question:

Are headset cups supposed to be lightly greased or not prior to installation? I've heard both sides from many different sources, but leaning more towards installing it dry? Curious.

I/we do it without. If your head tube is reamed and faced then it should be pretty straightforward to do with a press (or with a hammer 'n' stuff I guess - in my "smash it with logs" days, non-reamed/faced head tubes made life a lot harder).

Ive never greased one yet, it might help reduce any creaking though if the cups arent a snug fit in the frame (old frame which has seen many headsets).

If your headset's able to move enough when everything's all tightened down to make any sort of noise, you're probably riding on a pretty munched frame.

Don't listen to this.

I work in a bike shop and a guy who has worked there for years told a customer to twat it in with a hammer rather than buy the tool

If your headset's able to move enough when everything's all tightened down to make any sort of noise, you're probably riding on a pretty munched frame.

Well yeah naturally, I guess Im going back to my bmx days 15 years ago when flared head tubes and destroyed headsets were much more common, was alot of frame and fork swapping at our trails - RIP wordsley spinney!

DONE IT, used a long bolt to flat peiece of metal and a bolt worked beautifully :)

(Y)

I work in a bike shop and a guy who has worked there for years told a customer to twat it in with a hammer rather than buy the tool

I am a big fan of the hammer technique when done carefully, however the majority of people who have not done it before, or are not careful, or who do not have a correctly reamed headtube can easily damages their frame or headset and it is something that as a mechanic I would never tell a customer to do. 

• Like 1