Any Problems With Painting In A Cold Environment?

JD™

Hi All,

Going to be spraying various bits and bobs of my bike over the coming weeks, and the only place I've got that I can make into a temporary spray booth is a shed I've got. It's a cheap, shit shed which obviously has no insulation or anything.

What I'm planning to do is just chuck everything currently in there into the back and putting some plastic sheeting between that stuff and where I'll be spraying, as well as the walls. Then I'll hang the various bits up and spray them, leaving them there overnight to dry each coat.

So, apart from the problems of the fact I'll be freezing my arse off while doing the actual spraying, am I going to have any problems with application or drying with the temperature being so cold overnight at the moment?

Go to wilkos and buy one of those 1500w halogen heaters, set it up to keep the shed warm and it will help loads :)

Will cost you a couple of extra quid in electricity though.

edit: what are you spraying with? If youre using rattlecans cant you make a spraybooth for the house from some huge cardboard boxes?

Edited by forteh

Hi All,

Going to be spraying various bits and bobs of my bike over the coming weeks, and the only place I've got that I can make into a temporary spray booth is a shed I've got. It's a cheap, shit shed which obviously has no insulation or anything.

What I'm planning to do is just chuck everything currently in there into the back and putting some plastic sheeting between that stuff and where I'll be spraying, as well as the walls. Then I'll hang the various bits up and spray them, leaving them there overnight to dry each coat.

So, apart from the problems of the fact I'll be freezing my arse off while doing the actual spraying, am I going to have any problems with application or drying with the temperature being so cold overnight at the moment?

In short, yes. Spraying in cold weather causes all sorts of problems. The paint goes harder between the can and the object you are spraying, meaning you'll have to move the can closer and it is more likely to run. Also once the paint is on the object the cold temperatures give the paint strange properties and it doesn't dry normally and can become streaky and discoloured. I tried to spray my frame when it was too cold and instead of it being black like the rest of it, it turned out to be a washed out grey colour :/

You may have trouble with the moisture as much as the temperature. You may find the shed and potentially the components will be susceptible to condensation overnight.

In the past i have found gloss black particularly, can go milky if it is cold, or damp. I dont know what colour you are using, but just thought id add that, as you may well experience it with other colours

It's not ideal, and can lead to a rubbish finish but there are things you can do to make it easier.

Once you have finished preparing a part, clean it well and then leave it inside to dry and warm up. Put your spray cans in a bowl of warm water for 5 mins before you use them, and make sure they are warm to the touch when in use. Obviously make sure you shake them thoroughly as well. Then I just take one part into the garage at a time to spray them, so they don't get a chance to cool down too much. Leaving them to dry in the cold isn't much of an issue, but obviously it will take much longer. I tend to just bring them inside and have car/bike parts hanging all over the house :turned:

Go to wilkos and buy one of those 1500w halogen heaters, set it up to keep the shed warm and it will help loads :)

Will cost you a couple of extra quid in electricity though.

edit: what are you spraying with? If youre using rattlecans cant you make a spraybooth for the house from some huge cardboard boxes?

Yea planning on using rattlecans. If I still lived alone I'd have no problem with doing the cardboard box route, but I don't reckon Leanne would deal with it - mainly the smell rather than the disruption. Plus we got some pretty young guinea pigs so might be a bit worried about them with the fumes and that.

In short, yes. Spraying in cold weather causes all sorts of problems. The paint goes harder between the can and the object you are spraying, meaning you'll have to move the can closer and it is more likely to run. Also once the paint is on the object the cold temperatures give the paint strange properties and it doesn't dry normally and can become streaky and discoloured. I tried to spray my frame when it was too cold and instead of it being black like the rest of it, it turned out to be a washed out grey colour :/

Fair one, I'll think about leaving it till the summer then - I'm not in the biggest rush, it's just I have a giftcard which will just about cover the cost and it's burning a hole in my pocket!

Damn phones are so slow. Agree with what you are saying theta2

I've painted before and it was fine, But I laquered my frame last night and it's gone milky in places, so I'd advise against laquering! Was a custom colour too so a nice waste of money. The heater idea Is perfect as long as you can leave it on all night.

That's more down to how you were lacquering and had prepped the frame and not the lacquer itself.

Dunno how I missed this reply first time round, sounds like it should work so I'll probably give it a go tomorrow if the weather stops me riding. Cheers

If it takes you any longer than an hour to fully prep, primer, spray and lacquer a trials frame you're doing it wrong! :P

Eh? I'm planning on doing a proper-ish job, how will that be possible in an hour with all the coats and that?

If it takes you any longer than an hour to fully prep, primer, spray and lacquer a trials frame you're doing it wrong! :P

Im sure hes joking here. In best conditions paint can dry in 15 minutes, so itd take well over an hour just in drying time between coats! Unless you're only doing one coat per paint type :lol:

Dont forget to degrease too!

I agree with what THETA Matt and Luke say in this topic.

Take note of these tips plus USE A HEAT GUN

For stripping walls, you can use it to heat the part and the room and keep the can warm if you have to.

You can spray a whole frame, primer colour and clear in less than 1 hr.

POTENTIALLY RIDICULOUS QUESTION ALERT:

In the absolutely certain event that I cant and/or dont want to buy a heat gun, would a hairdryer be a completely stupid thing to use?

Spraying my Fourplay with tinted lacquer spectacularly failed because of how cold it was in the warehouse. It just didn't really ever dry properly, which sucked. Other than that, 'normal' paints seem to be OK, just take a little longer. Try not breathing on the frame too so you don't get condensation on it...