Rockman 144.12

trialsmax04

If you suspend the outer over a vice and put a BB tool into the interface, tapping the BB tool will press the bearing out. They are kinda tricky to get back together again though with all those pawls, so I would recommend removing both the seals from the bearings instead (prise them out carefully with a sharp object) and spraying thin lube in through the bearings instead. Give the freewheel a spin as you do it and this should thin out the grease.

Yeah, the bearings are press fit.

Think I'll take the seals off and try and clean out the grease, put in a nice thin lube and see how it goes. Used it for another 2hours tonight but still skipping even when going along the road.

Think I'll take the seals off and try and clean out the grease, put in a nice thin lube and see how it goes. Used it for another 2hours tonight but still skipping even when going along the road.

This was to me almost inevitable, I wont dismiss it until i hear reviews on a few that have been used for a while, but this seemed the obvious route..

I hope it turns out I'm wrong I'd love to see this working and from what has been said at least the quality of them is good, i wait to be impressed.

something doesnt add up for me. If you have to remove the grease that has come out of the bearings, the bearings arnt going to last 5 minutes.

The bearings will push out the excess grease by themselves as they run in, thinning it stops the excess grease making the pawls sticky and not engaging/releasing properly.

Edited by craigjames

Yeah, they don't mean degreasing it and running the bearings dry, just thinning the quantity of grease and using a lighter lube to keep things running smooth.

Yip just what he said. It's just a case of using a quality thin lube, the grease is possibley to think and causing it to skip. I'm going to keep using it for awile as I do think it will bed in and stop skipping after I use it for afew more rides with thin lube.

Yip just what he said. It's just a case of using a quality thin lube, the grease is possibley to think and causing it to skip. I'm going to keep using it for awile as I do think it will bed in and stop skipping after I use it for afew more rides with thin lube.

Hi Gary, I'm sure your very mechanically minded so if I were you I'd probably strip it down after bedding in and give the pawls and mechanism the once over. Not necessarily required but I imagine it can't do any harm to remove any swarf from the mechanism and ensure all the pawls will engage nicely.

If purchasing these freewheels causes so much trouble for the buyer then surely it would be better if they were bedded in at the factory? Then there would be no problems and no such stories which are bound to hurt sales. Besides, if it's the bearing grease thats causing this issue then why on earth didn't they seal them properly form the inside and have them expell grease outside the freewheel?

Hi Gary, I'm sure your very mechanically minded so if I were you I'd probably strip it down after bedding in and give the pawls and mechanism the once over. Not necessarily required but I imagine it can't do any harm to remove any swarf from the mechanism and ensure all the pawls will engage nicely.

right i stripped it down today and gave it a gt85 wash down to clean the grease out, everything seemed sound,pawls,springs etc. put it back to geather then popped the seals off and used a hi quality motal chain lube (oil) not wax to lube it all up. sounds a hundred times better and feels better. will be out allday tomorrow so will see how it goes. fingers crossed.