Pedal Kick

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I could do with a little help/advice regarding the Pedal Kick.

I can lift the front wheel up with a 1/4 crank turn, but as soon as I pull the rear brake on, the front end goes straight down.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that I am not bringing the front wheel up high enough?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help guys! (Y)

I've got another question though :

I prefer to have my left foot forward when I ride, and I feel more balanced with it forward.

The problem is, I feel that I can lift the front wheel higher/easier when using my righ foot (so right forward) but it doesn't feel as natural or as well balanced.

Which should I do it off?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for all the help guys! (Y)

I've got another question though :

I prefer to have my left foot forward when I ride, and I feel more balanced with it forward.

The problem is, I feel that I can lift the front wheel higher/easier when using my righ foot (so right forward) but it doesn't feel as natural or as well balanced.

Which should I do it off?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Don't worry about it. Balance and lift the front wheel with which ever feel the most in balance. You sound like me. My good foot is my left, but I pull a wheelie, ie bring the front up with power with my right foot forward. It confused me at first but then i soon realised that with more powerful momentum based moves i need to lift the front with my right and launch with my left as it comes around, such as a pedal up or rolling pedal kick. I hope that makes sense :S Im by no means an expert and a lot more people on this forum could probably do a better job of explaining it!

What I would say though is get your balance nailed before you get stuck into pedal kicks. Try to get to a stage where you can balance without rocking (or a minimal amount) and without your front wheel turned. Then when you have this practice squatting down with your weight over your rear tyre and loading your good foot. Then once your there practice gently releasing your rear brake and letting your front come up slowly and in a controlled manner as you stand up straight to meet the bars. You should have enough control by then to raise the front back up if it dips by cranking the pedals slightly.

Hope that helps. It worked for me. :)

Don't worry about it. Balance and lift the front wheel with which ever feel the most in balance. You sound like me. My good foot is my left, but I pull a wheelie, ie bring the front up with power with my right foot forward. It confused me at first but then i soon realised that with more powerful momentum based moves i need to lift the front with my right and launch with my left as it comes around, such as a pedal up or rolling pedal kick. I hope that makes sense :S Im by no means an expert and a lot more people on this forum could probably do a better job of explaining it!

What I would say though is get your balance nailed before you get stuck into pedal kicks. Try to get to a stage where you can balance without rocking (or a minimal amount) and without your front wheel turned. Then when you have this practice squatting down with your weight over your rear tyre and loading your good foot. Then once your there practice gently releasing your rear brake and letting your front come up slowly and in a controlled manner as you stand up straight to meet the bars. You should have enough control by then to raise the front back up if it dips by cranking the pedals slightly.

Hope that helps. It worked for me. :)

Thanks alot, That is some useful information! (Y)

So are you saying that you would lift the front up with your right foot, then carry on rasing the front (pedal kicks) with your left foot? So basically, instead of a 1/4 crank turn it is about 1/2-3/4 (Guessing) crank turn to lift the front end?

Thanks!!!

I think that's just how it is, I'm right foot forward and I use the left to raise the front wheel. Which is why for pedalups, you use your left to raise the front then kick with your good foot to raise the bike.

So if I am better balanced with my left foot forward, I should use my right to raise the front wheel (which is what I find easier in terms of power) then use my left foot to do the pedal kicks?

So as I said before, a 1/2-3/4 crank turn?

Thanks a lot BTW!

Yes, pedal kick with your good foot and half pedal with your bad foot so that once you've lifted the front with your bad foot you've got your good foot in the right position to give a pedal kick.

When you say my good foot, do you mean my left foot (better balanced and prefer it forward)?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Sorry my previous reply may of been a confusing ramble :S

Yeh like Revolver says your good foot is the one you have forward when you balance.

Use this foot to raise the front to get onto the rear for a pedal kick from a stationery position. If you need some momentum i.e climbing and object or a bigger gap, then you would lift the front with your right foot while traveling forward, and launch with your left as it comes around.

All though you will feel better balanced with your good foot forward, it may feel weird at first using it to raise the front. Persevere.. it will become second nature and practice to do it in a slow controlled manner, it will be better for your stability on the rear wheel in the long run.

Here are some videos of me trying to do a pedal kick :

Sorry for the rubbish riding, I'm new to this and I wasn't on the best of form (not that I am any good when I am on best form lol).

The problem is that I seem to struggle to get on the balance point while on the rear wheel. On the 2nd video you can see me get in it (balance point) where I jump off, I forgot to pull in the back brake.

Any tips or advice? (Especially for getting into the balance point!)

Thanks

BTW, Videos are going to take about an 2 1/2 hours to convert, so there is no point looking at them tonight.

James

I would advise forgetting about the pedal kick for the moment. I'm not saying your not getting it, but you could be making life hard for yourself. By this i mean, you could really do with riding with some other trials riders who can advise you first hand, even check over your brake set up etc, as it all makes a difference. Put a post up to see if there are any riders in your area.

if this is no possible I would advise you forget about the pedal kick for the moment and get your balance nailed first. Try rocking with the brakes on if you have too and decrease the amount of rock as your balance gets better, until your rocking is minimal. While your doing this weight your pedals and get a feel for the bike, shift your weight around, squat over the back wheel, see how it all effects the bike and your balance. Then try punching the bike forward with a pedal kick while both wheels are on the ground. Again this will give you a feel for the bike and pedal kicking action.

You will struggle with your pedal kick on your rear wheel until your comfortable in a balance.

You use the same foot to raise your bike for pedalkicking, as you pedal kick with.

Practice wheelie-stopping. Pedal and bring your wheel up, lock the brake, then jab the pedals and wheelie forwards, lock the brake, jab again, and so on.

If you can do a few of these, put a jump in when you jab the pedals - instant pedal kick.

The wheelie stop method is the absolute best way to learn them.

Initially, to help with the trackstands, try relaxing a little. You look really tense on the bike and not moving your weight around enough; hips, knees, shoulders, elbows, ankles and neck can all be used to alter your balance point. As it is it appears youre locking on the brakes and hoping youre at the balance point, try to relax and keep youre weight more neutral and then move about to keep the bike upright; the brakes dont need to be locked on to trackstand, infact its always good practise to be able to do it brakeless :)

With the rear wheel balance point, try placing your front wheel up on a block with the brakes locked (obviously balancing as above) and gently rocking your weight backwards until it lofts the front wheel in the air. You should soon get the hang of where your weight needs to be in order to hold the balance point. Once youre comfortable with the balance point you can start adding little stationary hops (not pedal kicks) to get used to the movements required, from then you need to learn to co-ordinate your brakes and pedals and start actually kicking when hopping. Time and practise, it will eventually become second nature though, very good advice above about finding some other trials riders to practise with.

Hi again Guys!

Thanks ever so much for all the help and advice, Very useful.

I have been practicing balance and just general riding.

I have also been starting to do Wheelies, as I have taken your advice and not tried to do the pedal kick for now.

Anyway, I am getting better at doing a wheelie, I can find the balance point a lot easier now. I'm still pretty rubbish but I can do a Wheelie for a small distance and I know when I am in a balance point.

I have a couple of questions :

I find the brake lever too far away to use with only 1 finger on it. It is a Avid BB5 Brake Lever. I only have short fingers. I prefer to use my index finger, but I can't reach it that well, and I struggle to pull it in easily/defiantly.

Any ideas on how I could make it easier for myself?

Also, I find when I do a Wheelie compared to a 1/4 crank turn to lift the front wheel, that I have my bum further back and I pull on the handle bars more (when wheelieing). It may just be feeling it differently, but I will take a video and compare them.

Does this oftenly happen?

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help!

James

I have a couple of questions :

I find the brake lever too far away to use with only 1 finger on it. It is a Avid BB5 Brake Lever. I only have short fingers. I prefer to use my index finger, but I can't reach it that well, and I struggle to pull it in easily/defiantly.

Any ideas on how I could make it easier for myself?

Also, I find when I do a Wheelie compared to a 1/4 crank turn to lift the front wheel, that I have my bum further back and I pull on the handle bars more (when wheelieing). It may just be feeling it differently, but I will take a video and compare them.

Does this oftenly happen?

1) You need a tiny tiny allen key. There will be a little grub screw which is the reach adjuster.

2) You do perform those moves differently, but a video of them both can't hurt to help us if you need it.

1) You need a tiny tiny allen key. There will be a little grub screw which is the reach adjuster.

2) You do perform those moves differently, but a video of them both can't hurt to help us if you need it.

Thanks Revolver.

I have adjusted the reach to the brake lever tonight, and it feels a lot better!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to ride or take a video for a little while, due to Rugby mainly. Got quite a few Sevens tournaments and it doesn't half make you stiff, tired and sore. Never mind if you have a picked up a nice injury.......

But I will defiantly get a video up some time, especially if it helps you guys help me!!! ^_^

Thanks!!