Real Coust Pad=Phat Backings (Up Date, Page 2)

gary-mac

Hi guys, well i was very interested in people going on about the so called (real cousts pads) so i orderd afew pairs from trialsprod last week, they arrived today so i thought why not give them a proper test and fit them to metal backings. This is the out come, not a bad job for my first go at cutting them. One thing i noticed was the colour is slighty darker than the HSB cousts but that means nothing, i have tried hsb coust and find they lack hold but the bite is brilliant so i will be comparing the 2. Just need to test them now and see if they can live up to all the hipe!!. I will be very surprised if they can match the HSB yellows.

will up date soon

IMAG0300-1.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

Edited by gary-mac

Im running Heatsink "fake Coust"'s in rockman backings, and quite frankly there amazing. there is no difference bewtween the ones from trialprod and heatsink, cos my pads perform the same if not better as another riders ones from trialprod in plastic backings..

This is my point of doing this test as i don't believe there is any difference as steve does a great job of his pads and wouldn't sell so called fake cousts. I find hsb coust awesome in the front, there deadly in the wet, very sharp i just find they slip/lack hold on the rear if i don't make a big gap or up to back quite right.

This is my point of doing this test as i don't believe there is any difference as steve does a great job of his pads and wouldn't sell so called fake cousts. I find hsb coust awesome in the front, there deadly in the wet, very sharp i just find they slip/lack hold on the rear if i don't make a big gap or up to back quite right.

Monster of a grind will sort that out :P

Think i'll be trying some of these after my LGM's.

How do they compare with heatsink yellows?

Have not tried the so called real coust yet, only fitted them tonight so will test this week, will take a good few hours to bed them in so can't comment yet but as for the yellows i myself think there unbeatable IMO with a medium sharp grind. Not all people think this but they work for me and i've tried them all.

Have not tried the so called real coust yet, only fitted them tonight so will test this week, will take a good few hours to bed them in so can't comment yet but as for the yellows i myself think there unbeatable IMO with a medium sharp grind. Not all people think this but they work for me and i've tried them all.

Man, you just killed the work of Michel, he glues these pads with experience and knowledge. These pads you made will never be near the performance of real Coust pads in their original backings and unmodified. They also need no time to bed in, they bed in instantly as Michel pre-beds them... Just like TNN Belaeys. I hope you'll be happy with them though. If you don't, test some unmodified real Coust pads, you'll be amazed!

Otherwise just get back to Heatsink Yellows as they hold better on a dead grind and don't eat the grind as fast as Coust pads do.

Man, you just killed the work of Michel, he glues these pads with experience and knowledge. These pads you made will never be near the performance of real Coust pads in their original backings and unmodified. They also need no time to bed in, they bed in instantly as Michel pre-beds them... Just like TNN Belaeys. I hope you'll be happy with them though. If you don't, test some unmodified real Coust pads, you'll be amazed!

Otherwise just get back to Heatsink Yellows as they hold better on a dead grind and don't eat the grind as fast as Coust pads do.

wouldn't say i've killed them but yeah i know where your coming from. I'll try the other cousts i have in the plastic backings aswell. I always bed my pads in with a belt sander then fit to bike, always seems to take 10/15mins to work properly if set up perfectly square.

thanks for the comment though i'll def take note of it. as said i'm only personally testing and messing about as it gives me something to do. (Y)

Monster of a grind will sort that out :P

:giggle: don't worry i'll try all sorts.

Edited by gary-mac

Hmmm, never amused by this talk of coust pads sold by heatsinkbikes being "fake". Please contact Michel Coustellier to confirm the situation!

Gary, are those coust pads glued together by Michel really stuck on top of the magura backings with no portion of the pad submerged ?

Peace and love,

Steve

Hmmm, never amused by this talk of coust pads sold by heatsinkbikes being "fake". Please contact Michel Coustellier to confirm the situation!

Gary, are those coust pads glued together by Michel really stuck on top of the magura backings with no portion of the pad submerged ?

Peace and love,

Steve

They are indeeds.

Peace and love,

Steve

Hi steve, there only glued with a rubber resin not cut into the backing at all, couldn't believe it when I seen it, surely this could cause a accident if it were to fall off.

Hi steve, there only glued with a rubber resin not cut into the backing at all, couldn't believe it when I seen it, surely this could cause a accident if it were to fall off.

he glues these pads with experience and knowledge.

No chance of that Gary! :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, i tried doing that with my coust material when putting them in rockman backings, f**king thing fell out so i had to cut them about.

I rode with Josh Kydd at the 3sixty trial at the weekend, he was using Coust pads. They came direct from Coust, I had a feel and couldn't get them to slip no matter how much force I put through the back wheel in a forwards and backwards motion. I was thoroughly impressed.

I know Heatsink sell Coust pads, now are these the same pads ( same material/compound, made the same)?

I would love a set of those pads, but only want the ones that Josh had if they are different, if they are the same then I'll be contacting Steve for some.

I rode with Josh Kydd at the 3sixty trial at the weekend, he was using Coust pads. They came direct from Coust, I had a feel and couldn't get them to slip no matter how much force I put through the back wheel in a forwards and backwards motion. I was thoroughly impressed.

I know Heatsink sell Coust pads, now are these the same pads ( same material/compound, made the same)?

I would love a set of those pads, but only want the ones that Josh had if they are different, if they are the same then I'll be contacting Steve for some.

The one's on the plastic packings from Michel are available from Trialprod.net, that's the one's Josh has got. They've always seemed amazing when i've tried them on peoples bikes. Currently got some Heatsink cousts, ordering some from Trialprod just so I can make a comparison.

The one's on the plastic packings from Michel are available from Trialprod.net, that's the one's Josh has got. They've always seemed amazing when i've tried them on peoples bikes. Currently got some Heatsink cousts, ordering some from Trialprod just so I can make a comparison.

Cheers Craig, so is there actually a difference between the two pads?

Well Josh had the Heatsink Cousts on before he had the ones from Michel and yes there is a difference. I don't know why, they just bite and hold better, different noise (which is most likely down to the backings)and they wear better; it's been the same on all the bikes I've tried with them. Thought I'd give it a go myself, back to back comparison, to see if there is a difference for me.

Email them Nick, didn't cost me that much!

Edited by craigjames

Well Josh had the Heatsink Cousts on before he had the ones from Michel and yes there is a difference. I don't know why, they just bite and hold better, different noise (which is most likely down to the backings)and they wear better; it's been the same on all the bikes I've tried with them. Thought I'd give it a go myself, back to back comparison, to see if there is a difference for me.

Email them Nick, didn't cost me that much!

Emailed, had a reply and sorted, just gonna order a pair.

The pads in my picture are the same as josh has. got them from trialprod in plastic backings and took a set apart and cut them into metal backing. haven't tried them as am to busy at work but will test them over the next wk when i get a chance.

Edited by gary-mac

The pads in my picture are the same as josh has. got them from trialprod in plastic backings and took a set apart and cut them into metal backing. haven't tried them as am to busy at work but will test them over the next wk when i get a chance.

I've just ordered the same Coust pads in plastic backings from Trialprod.

Hopefully they'll work just as well for me, unless I need to do a harsher grind.