Is Old School Making A Return?

Danfoss - BANNED

I wouldn't say it's so much 'old school' coming back as some people being more open to the streety style that was around a long while ago. I suppose the whole seat and stuff could have come back because Danny, Ali, Rowan, Mark etc have all been rocking that look for a while now.

I'm riding something seated, short and old school, but I'm still trying to be unique and individual where I can rather than aiming to imitate 10 years ago.

Agree with the above, i think streety 24"s are bringing "old school" riding back.

To me it's more the mentality of the riders than the style of the riding; the people i ride with have all more or less moved along with the developments and ridden new school rigs (myself included, except a few who are OLDSKL4LYF) and then gone back to how it used to be to put some fun back into it.

Not looked back once B)

yup back in the early naughties it was about testing yourself and fun not how many grams you can shed buy using stupid looking frames to make it easy as hell, i rode a new bike recently after 8 years and it was so easy it wasnt pleasing at all! id much rather ride an old school bike and work for it

In my eyes, these things make a bike old school.

A hub you have to throw a ninja kick to get an engagement. Or if you were good or watched Bi-king you would find the "bite point".

Kool stops. Not only because they were better than blacks, they matched the side wall colour of your rear El Gato (or El Kujo if you didnt like punctures) and front mythos XC.

25.4 bars, cos thats standard beatch.

As has been said, it never left...

I've only just become 'new school' then apparently. Except for the hub. 27 excellent points of engagement. I've never actually felt the difference though really - maybe it's because I have always done that 'bite point' lark...

In my eyes, these things make a bike old school.

A hub you have to throw a ninja kick to get an engagement. Or if you were good or watched Bi-king you would find the "bite point".

Kool stops. Not only because they were better than blacks, they matched the side wall colour of your rear El Gato (or El Kujo if you didnt like punctures) and front mythos XC.

25.4 bars, cos thats standard beatch.

As has been said, it never left...

A'men !

I must admit i'm not a fan of holey rims. I get them and so on but i must say my DMR Dv24's have caused me so fewer issues than any holey rim ever has.

I've been shot down for it many times but i still stand by the fact that i think it's a joke that many trials rims don't have eyelets. I ride 24"/street any can ride trials fast on occasion so i like a wheel with eyelets so i'd never consider something without for the sake of 50g.

I run Mavic rims on all my MTB's and they're just consistantly strong, light and reliable - if only a 24" rim ever made it's way in to the world i'd be straight on it. That's not to say there aren't other perfectly good alternatives.

For me: 24" wheels shouldn't have holes in particular. Stock bikes without holey rims look super cool!

I think that it's more new school, more of a merging of old school and current riding.

And yea, I hate rims with holes, I intentionally got ones without because my old hole one seems to get bucked constantly. D521 on the front and after almost 3 years I've only had to true it once, and I've ran it into edges and all sorts.