Why Don't Stock Bikes Have Bashrings/guards?

o0jack0o

Hey guys, just wondering why stock bikes don't have a bashguard? I've ridden mod's with them and they make perfect sense so not really sure why they aren't on stocks. Saw something about it being to do with competition rules?, is this correct?

Edited by o0jack0o

Hmmm, maybe im mistaken then? I've looked at new bikes from onza and echo and in all the pics there are no bashguards. Possibly not on to make it look nicer? Iwas thinking the same thing about the damage haha. Thanks for clearing it up =)

You're correct about the rules. In competition, stock bikes are not allowed to have bashplates, that is wide metal plates suspended beneath the BB. They are only allowed bashrings to cover the sprocket/freewheel. There have been a couple of street oriented stock bikes which have incorporated the ability to run a bashplate but neither were that popular- those being the mark one Onza T-rex and the Base B26.

aha, thanks monkey, i didnt realise the difference between the bashring and bashplate! Yeah i meant a bashplate when i asked this and now i fully understand =) Thanks for your help guys! i'm such a noob =(

Edited by o0jack0o

aha, thanks monkey, i didnt realise the difference between the bashring and bashplate! Yeah i meant a bashplate when i asked this and now i fully understand =) Thanks for your help guys! i'm such a noob =(

Probably all of us were confused about this when starting trials mate, you learn as you go along! :)

You're correct about the rules. In competition, stock bikes are not allowed to have bashplates, that is wide metal plates suspended beneath the BB. They are only allowed bashrings to cover the sprocket/freewheel. There have been a couple of street oriented stock bikes which have incorporated the ability to run a bashplate but neither were that popular- those being the mark one Onza T-rex and the Base B26.

Also the saracen mad's had bashplates.

stocks don't need a plate, they usually have way better clearance than a mod, so it's surplus to requirement and with emphasis on uci riding style everyones ditching their plate in favour of a bash ring cause it is lighter, plates are for the newbs and comp guys, i wouldn't be suprised if plates got phased out entirely in a few more years . any thoughts on that?