Tap Snapped Inside Brake Mount

planet x alan

The tap has well and truly snapped off inside the mount and not retreivable using long nosed plyers or anything like that. In hindsight i should of used better quality stuff for the job!

The question is: If i were to drill the whole lot out would it be worth it/possible for an aluminium welder to fill the mount back up and for me to re drill/retap the mount. Would the heat involved weaken the frame in any way?

Bodged it together with a jubilee clip atm and it's holding up well enough but would be nice to be able to fiddle about with brake set up while out riding!

Any input appreciated.

i've snapped a couple M6 taps before and managed to hit the the broken part of the tap with a decent center punch (and a hammer) untill the tap had pretty much disintegrated, then cleaned up the mess by drilling it all out and inserting an 8mm thread insert, bringing it back down to M6.

i'm not sure how well this would work on an M5 brake bolt, on a frame, becuase im not sure if you can clamp a frame in a vice and hit the living sh*t out of it with a hammer... if you were going to keep the frame as a spare it may be worth a try!

i understand this probably wouldn't work with a something so small

but with my crank bolt....it was completely rounded and in the end couldn't get the bolt out. so went to ally welder and he welded a metal bar to the crank bolt and put a mole grip/pipe grip on it, and with lots of pressure managed to undo the crank bolt with out breaking threads...

so a welder could possibly tac a metal bar on to the tap and you could unscrew it :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the idea of welding a bar onto it i could not seeing work, it's a 4mm hole so he'd heve to be a pretty shit hot welder to get a bit of steel in there without melting my brake mounts to bits. As for cutting a slot, as Adam said there's been a bit of torque gone through it to shatter it (Yes I did go at it with brute force and ignorance and paid the price!). I think my plan of action is gonna be to live with it with a jubilee clip holding it on until a decent frame pops up for sale cheapish!

removing a broken tap is no problem at all, providing you use the correct equipment,its something i do on a day to day basis.

in your case you need to use a carbide centre drill, followed by a carbide drill bit, preferably a spade drill, you need to run both of these at quite high speed,

once youdrill a gole through the broken bit of tap, it would be possible to shatter the outer parts of the remaining tap and it should fall from the thread,

the other option which you have is to shatter the tap with a good punch and a big hammer.

relatively easy for someone with basic engineering skills, try your local engineering firms, they'l get it out no problem at very little cost.

ash

You can't drill taps.the drill will just rub and you will get no where.

Using a diegrinder with a carbide burr could work.

If you have access to tooling make up a little spanner that fits Into the tap flutes. Something with 3 fingers that fit between the tap and the hole in the material. Make the fingers as long as the broken tap. Use a tap wrench on the top to unscrew it.

Aslong as you have maximum contact on the tap you should be all good.

I can draw you a picture of what I mean If you don't understamd

Ok I have not read all the thread. BUT I am an engineer!

Don't waste your time listening to people who are just guessing

You should be able to get the tap drilled out with a carbide drill, or by using a carbide burr, but you will need to clamp it and use a pillar drill!

Probably best taking it to a local engineer, and one decent should beable to sort it!

The tap will not come out by drilling, or by cutting a slot in it. There's been a LOT of torque applied to it in order to snap it, and it's too hard for pretty much any drill bit.

Edited by dave33

I'd get a carbide drill bit down the centre, then smash the rest into pieces with a nail and a big hammer. Job done.

Never had to do it because I've never managed to snap a tap in an aluminium thread, but I know some more ham-fisted people who have. :P