Martin Hawyes

kaybs41282

Hi, I've been trying to find out why he packed in and stuff but there is very little info on the web...anyone know what happened?

I know he is talking about getting a bike and pottering again but I'm just curious as to why he gave it up.

Certainly after the success of Chainspotting and Tricks & Stunts...

Certainly after the success of Chainspotting and Tricks & Stunts...

Success within the small mountainbiking world in which he was (in my opinion) massively outshone by Martyn... Which kinda, dare I say it, sums up his trials career. I honestly don't think he'd have done nearly as much or been nearly as 'popular' if his name hadn't been Martin or if he simply hadn't hooked up with Martyn.

Remember that whilst Martyn has been continually riding with demos and being in the scene a little more with the brand, Hawzie was off as a rep for Fisher, doing various other bits and bobs and having a life outside of riding trials.

If he'd have carried on as a critical part of the trials community, who knows where he'd be now. He's still floating about, so who knows where he might rear that ugly mug :P

n828138624_1332826_9842.jpg

• Like 1

I remember when I rode years ago (99ish) and Ashton was settled with his missus and just had a kid whilst Hawyes was doing the nationals still to keep his sponsor I suppose but was up against strong competition from Chris Akrigg.

I'll try and dig out my old results forms and get them scanned in and posted!

Met up with Hawyes when I was exhibiting at the Cycle Show a couple of years back. He was saying he's more into the moto trials nowadays but still doing a lot of work within the industry.

The martyns/martins were and still are huge icons. Thanks to MBUK and vids like Chainspotting and Tricks n Stunts probably also the inspiration and role models of half the UK members of this forum. If I was them I'd want to stake my claim firmly in the spokesperson/development side of the industry as a career actually riding bikes can't last forever!

I'm sure he was representing Norco at the Cycle Show (this was back in 2009)

Ta

Edited by cant_ride
  • Like 1