Rotors How Design Effects Performance.

Matt Vandart

Ok so I was thinking about rotors and how their design (hole shape etc) effects their bite hold and heat dissipation.

Anyone have any ideas on this.

I noticed my Mono trials got hot as f**k when I did any distance downhill and that is what got me thinking.

I am aware of vented discs I am talking about plain rotors.

I remember reading on here (don't know if it is true) that the most surface area, the more hold and the more holes, the better the bite.

I don't now how the shapes of holes effect things. Most rotors look like they are patterned just to look good, so it might just be a case of deciding on a hole/material ratio and making it look good. I'm just guessing though, so I could be miles wrong.

I'm running one of the hayes style large hole rotors with my shimano front disc and have found it tends to make a buzzing noise now. Reae that some shimano pads get snagged on larger holes and it can pull chunks off the leading edge, resulting in a buzzing sensation during use. Reckon i'll change my rotor to a superstar floating of some description.

Trials related i have just changed from an echo disc rotor to a hope mono trial rotor and the difference is night and day . The brake holds a LOT better so shape and design definately has a big effect on a disc brake.

That's on a Echo disc brake yeah? Did you find the brake a bit limp when you first bought the bike? I certainly did.

Ok so I was thinking about rotors and how their design (hole shape etc) effects their bite hold and heat dissipation.

Anyone have any ideas on this.

I noticed my Mono trials got hot as f**k when I did any distance downhill and that is what got me thinking.

I am aware of vented discs I am talking about plain rotors.

More area = more hold, less area = more bite.

Temperature's going to have a reasonable amount to do with the caliper design too (Shimano and Magura seem to agree, bearing in mind they design 'cooling fins' into their calipers)? Mono Trial brakes aren't great at dealing with heat.

That's on a Echo disc brake yeah? Did you find the brake a bit limp when you first bought the bike? I certainly did.

Echo's rotors are pretty hard compared to a Hope rotor. They usually take a while to bed in, so at first they often won't be that great.

Disc brakes are all about converting your kinetic energy (i.e. wheel rolling forwards) into heat, initially heating up the pads. Unfortunately, heat seems to cause problems to the brakes, so the idea is to get rid of the heat ASAP - hence the cooling fins and vented rotors etc - to allow the heat to be dissipated into the surrounding air. If the fluid heats up significantly, it causes problems, and that's when you get brake fade. For trials though, overheating isn't really an issue since you're never braking for long periods. Hope know this, and that's why they can build differences between the mono and the mono trials.

Disc brakes are all about converting your kinetic energy (i.e. wheel rolling forwards) into heat, initially heating up the pads. Unfortunately, heat seems to cause problems to the brakes, so the idea is to get rid of the heat ASAP - hence the cooling fins and vented rotors etc - to allow the heat to be dissipated into the surrounding air. If the fluid heats up significantly, it causes problems, and that's when you get brake fade. For trials though, overheating isn't really an issue since you're never braking for long periods. Hope know this, and that's why they can build differences between the mono and the mono trials.

Yes but why do mono trials deal with this heat worse than other designs?

I dont really understand how a lot of other companies seem to be heading towards the 24/25mm size slave piston sizes...and thus dealing with the heating issues. Im probably wrong, but aren't Formula 24mm?

As has been stated a few times, it's always been my understanding that more rotor material in contact with the pad increases hold, and the more cut outs increases bite.