Deciding On A New 19" Rear Rim

Jake.

My old rim was a Try-All, came with a bike I bought second hand. However the sidewalls folded after a month or so after doing a small drop, so I'm now looking for a new rim. I've not been riding for about a month as I'm that bad at making decisions and due to a holiday, and need to get a new rim sooner or later to keep riding...

I've heard good stuff from this Try-All reinforced rim, but I was also interested in the Try-All hOle rim, but as it's single wall I'm not so sure. I was going to call up Tarty but due to my hearing loss, I decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Any replies helping me decide on a rim will be appreciated. :)

I had the Try-all Reinforced rim before, smashed it to death, literally the sidewalls fell off. That was second hand with a few grinds though. The Try-all hOle rim on the other hand, had it for about a month but it's showed no signs of even buckling. Can be down to wheel build but there's been no flaws on it other than the rim surface for braking performance

If you're really bothered about yoyr brakes consider getting one of the trialtechs, they're supposed to be better aluminium according to the tarty site.

Edited by Jamie_Trials

Ive gone through a few try all rims in the past just because the sidewalls seem pathetic. even the non drilled try all reinforced rim, now i have a trialtech and it seems loads stronger, not had a problem with it at all! and the sidewalls seem strong. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/19_inch_rims/trialtech_sport_rear_19/c517p10479.html

I run an echo TR 19", it's extremely strong, no dents and about 1mm of buckle on it, only because I've rimmed it on stairs a few times with a very low tyre pressure and a slick!

I personally run it smooth, however my step brother runs a grind on the same rim and his is still very sharp after a few months of use!

Ahh thanks for all the replies, I'm sold on the Echo TR so far. Sounds like Try-All don't do good rims ha.

Echo TR vs Trialtech Sport?

521g vs 491g

£35 vs £40

44mm vs 47mm

Relying on you experts to point me in the right direction. happy.gif

From what i've gathered over the past year TR's seem to hold a grind a shit ton better than the Trialtechs - and heard lots of decent pad compounds not working so well on the trial techs. As with pretty much anything on here though, its pretty much hearsay (It's pure and simple, i'll be there for you)

• Like 1

What, you don't like them? ohmy.gif

From what i've gathered over the past year TR's seem to hold a grind a shit ton better than the Trialtechs - and heard lots of decent pad compounds not working so well on the trial techs. As with pretty much anything on here though, its pretty much hearsay (It's pure and simple, i'll be there for you)

Cheers, if it can hold a grind better then I'll probably go for that. A fiver cheaper too. I'm using Steves cousts, which are amazing with a grind (although my rim only lasted one and a half rides with the pads). And I can get it in gold, which will match my front rim and that's a bonus.

Edited by OnzaKid

Which compounds might they be? I've personally used LGMs on a Trialtech rim and found they were awesome. I know Stan's used RockMan Blues, Heatsink Yellows, Trialtech Sport, TNN Belaey and TNN LGMs on an SL rim and his brake's always been pretty good too...

Which compounds might they be? I've personally used LGMs on a Trialtech rim and found they were awesome. I know Stan's used RockMan Blues, Heatsink Yellows, Trialtech Sport, TNN Belaey and TNN LGMs on an SL rim and his brake's always been pretty good too...

I think it was LGM's and heatsink yellows. No doubt they were probably just set up wrong ellipsis

Mark, I hear no word of cousts there... I could have sworn that they're just as good as LGM's

There is no sarcasm whatsoever in that post.

It reminds me of the time there was another guy who blessed us with a fresh new font to look at, instead of the default one. Sometimes, I would compliment him on his fine choice of font.

Well I'm sorry, I was just making it so that the information below the names of the rims were easier to understand that they were comparing against the other rim.

Mark, I hear no word of cousts there... I could have sworn that they're just as good as LGM's

I found my "original" Cousts (yes, bought from the Coustelliers, blah blah blah) weren't really anything too special. They had a reasonable amount of hold, but they didn't have much bite. LGMs seem to work way, way better for me.

Still, I wouldn't let someone's actual experience of using both the pads guide you much, there are plenty of rumours about pads on here that can keep you entertained for hours ;)

I found my "original" Cousts (yes, bought from the Coustelliers, blah blah blah) weren't really anything too special. They had a reasonable amount of hold, but they didn't have much bite. LGMs seem to work way, way better for me.

Still, I wouldn't let someone's actual experience of using both the pads guide you much, there are plenty of rumours about pads on here that can keep you entertained for hours ;)

Damn, I want to ride LGM's now. That's the next on my Tarty shopping list after the rim, but now I've got to wait until my cousts die. However I did find that the cousts had a good bite if the setup was just right (were you using Steves pads or the other cousts that people go on about?).

Haha yeah, I've read through quite a lot of topics and reviews on brake pads here. They should perhaps make a rim reviews section. ;)

It was just a block of material I got indirectly through Michel Coustellier.

Steve's heatsink cousts and Micheal Coustellier's cousts don't seem much different to me other than one gets all the pads sanded down on all sides...

Anyway, I don't care. Tnn LGM's are next on my list and Echo TR's too most likely.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Edited by OnzaKid

Still, I wouldn't let someone's actual experience of using both the pads guide you much, there are plenty of rumours about pads on here that can keep you entertained for YEARS ;)