Where Do I Stand?

planet x alan

Can I just point out, not trying to be negative but unfortunately it will be, that if you spend money you dont have, i.e. the banks money then you pay a fee, this is not a suprise to anybody, overdrawn fees have been around forever. It amazes me how people can lose track of their finances. Do you have an overdraft?

I rarely go overdrawn but have a £100 overdraft setup on both my accounts just incase I do go slightly overdrawn. I even managed to scrape through Uni with no more than a £100 overdraft.

I'm not trying to have a go and I agree overdrawn fees are ludicrously high, but, they serve as a deterrent from spending money you dont have and hopefully next time you'll learn and keep an eye on your balance, especially when it's getting low.

So I've been charged £85 for going £6.35 overdrawn last month. £25 for a £5.99 payment. and get this £25 for a £1.36 itunes payment. Plus another £35 charge.

Going to fight this obviously.

Do i stand any chances of getting the fees reduced? Or am i truly F worded? Any tips on things to say/scream at them down the phone that may help?

Cheers.

Edit: Almost forgot. Bank is Santander.

Hi, :)

I work for Natwest and OUR policy officially is unless the bank is at fault we are at liberty to refuse a refund. BUT if you go into branch and explain the situation, i assume this was a one off?, then staff are usually quite happy to waive/refund any charges..It depends how you run your account on a day to day basis, are you a responsible customer? do you stay within your limits? If not then of course they're not going to refund you every single time you f**k up.. agree with what others have said, add a small overdraft to the account if your eligible, most are interest free up to £100. :) x

Oh and P.S if you go in and shout/scream/act like a general arse they will probably turn round and tell you where to go pretty much... Its not the people who work for the bank who make rules or procedures so dont take it out on us please! :)

• Like 1

Not being funny, but surely you were fully aware of all the costs before you signed to join Lloyds - therefore this isn't a problem with Lloyds, its a problem with you failing to read the paperwork and not bothering to move your account or cancel that particular service?

Yes I am aware of this which is what I said

Can I just point out, not trying to be negative but unfortunately it will be, that if you spend money you dont have, i.e. the banks money then you pay a fee, this is not a suprise to anybody, overdrawn fees have been around forever. It amazes me how people can lose track of their finances. Do you have an overdraft?

The problem I have with this is you have to have a bank account your f**ked, and particualrly Lloyds internet site is absolute shite and it is very simple to f**k up.

Also why do they make the payment if you don't have the funds/overdraft just reject the card, it's what used to happen.

Why?

Because its a good scam thats why.

There will always be people that are shit with money (like me) and these are usually the people that can least afford these charges, its targetted and that is the issue.

So if you're in that position you of all people should be making more of an effort to know how your bank balance is looking and should be the one being more careful, rather than the bank having to babysit for you?

If you really are that crap with money then you don't exactly need a bank account for most things, it just makes life easier for the majority.

If you only spend what you have then you won't get in shit. Pretty straightforward. (Y)

• Like 1

I've had to use a fair few online banking websites, and I use Lloyds for both my business and personal and have to say it's by far and away the easiest to use that I've come across. I think the main ones I haven't used are Santander and First Direct, but out of the others they're all shit...

I'm appalling with money, or at least I used to be. I kind of thank the banks now for punishing me for being shit with money, because now I'm uber switched on to it. Just get switched on and you won't have any issues!

If you only spend what you have then you won't get in shit. Pretty straightforward. (Y)

Disagree sorry. Many people have no-one to teach them how to manage money properly and it is something that needs to be learned.

The Banks are definately wise to this.

If they are not then they should not be in business.

I've had to use a fair few online banking websites, and I use Lloyds for both my business and personal and have to say it's by far and away the easiest to use that I've come across. I think the main ones I haven't used are Santander and First Direct, but out of the others they're all shit...

I'm appalling with money, or at least I used to be. I kind of thank the banks now for punishing me for being shit with money, because now I'm uber switched on to it. Just get switched on and you won't have any issues!

Agree with this.

Disagree sorry. Many people have no-one to teach them how to manage money properly and it is something that needs to be learned.

We seemed to do okay for what, the past 1000+ years where we've had coins yet no overdrafts?

I do agree that you need to learn how to be good with money, and circumstances etc. Like I'm still a student, in about 4k of personal debt(Think overdrafts, loans from parents), plus whatever I'm gonna owe the government after I'm done. What else am I supposed to do? Walking in somewhere at the moment, and saying "Hey I'm a student, I don't want to contribute to your business, or stay with you at all, I just want a part time job" when there's a shit load of unemployed people who want full time work, you don't have a chance, gotta get in debt. Hopefully once working I'll be fine, I'm pretty good with money when it's regular, but this irregular bull shit at Uni is f**king me up son!

• Like 1