Making Your Own Magura Piston?

dann2707

Im kind of stuck at the moment after having no HS33 master piston due to mine leaking like mad.

Would it be possible to make my own piston using a lathe, out of aluminium?

If so does anyone know the dimensions of the piston? It has a 14mm o-ring I believe.

What is the nylon (yellow coloured) thing at the end of the piston for? looks like another sort of seal?

Basically any technical people would you be so kind as to give me a bit of info at all. I know Alex Dark is excellent in the workshop, and Tarty Adams pretty handy on a lathe.

Cheers!! Dan.

No reason why it cant be done, you would be better to use a bar of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene to turn the piston out of rather than nylon as it doesn't absorb water; I wouldnt use aluminium as it would be more likely to score the bore of the master cylinder. If I remember correctly, the magura master uses an o-ring and a lip seal but you could get away with a couple of plain o-rings.

Do some googling for standard o-ring groove sizes and do a drawing based on that, you can measure the magura piston to get the sliding piston fit.

Main reason is why is it leaking? Have the seals failed or is the bore scored?

JD its not the slaves I need...

Cheers for the reply Forteh :) i think its the piston that ive sanded down too much and its not holding the seal properly. Im fairly certain the bore is fine but ill double check. Really would be awesome to make. ive found a thread Adam made about water swelling thw piston and shows the diameter that it should be.

It'd be much easier, quicker and cheaper to buy one... they're not much.

...But if it's just something you want to do, rather than wanting to get riding, talk to Josh. He made an entire lever body once, was pimp as hell but something went wrong concerning the clamp which wrote it off so never got to use it :( I remember seeing it though. Made the piston out of brass, I think. (That's a massive "think", better talk to him about it.)

I cant find one anywhere to buy Flipp :(. Ill post a more conherent post later. just in uni.

The piston isn't responsible for the sealing, its the, er, seal that does that!

Surely it does? If the piston has been sanded down too much the physical seal isnt going to be held snugly around the piston is it.

Surely it does? If the piston has been sanded down too much the physical seal isnt going to be held snugly around the piston is it.

Nope, the piston is only a carrier for the seal, however if you have taken too much off the diameter then the o-ring groove may not be deep enough for it to seal.

Let me know next time we are on a ride.

And I received the parts you sent me today, they are perfectttt :D Thanks matey.

My Echo clamps are currently in the workshop and are being faced off on the milling machine so that they'll be used without washers. Ordered them metal washers just in case it goes tits up though haha.