Plazmatic Coating For Rims.

Laurence--Trials

OTN find.. thought some people on here would be interested (link here) to the topic.

OTN Quote:Originally Posted by Le@TNN Engineering

Not sure if many of you know this Mr Chris Russ is the original maker of the Plazmatic CRM pads (Chris Russ Magura). Has partnered with us (TNN) from day one. He came up with the idea for the rim coating and got the first batch produced in Australia.

Pros:

-Extremely high performance (like braking on 300 grit sandpaper)

-Never wears

-Consistent performance in all conditions. Virtually no slip in the dry

-Won't chip off

Cons:

-SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! $150 per rim which make this too expensive by the time it reaches the public. Approx $300 for a rim

-if you get oil on it (blown Magura line) very difficult to clean. Can't use a grinder to clean it.

-if you buckle your rim your investment bye bye

Sounds amazing, but with that price tag i think its for top comp riders/ comp daddys etc.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Plaz coating is real old school! I remember someone saying that the harshest coating would wear out a set of magura black pads in a matter of weeks! it did however work amazing, or so they said!

I once ran a Mavic Ceramic coated rim (unsure if they still make these) on the back of my bike, this was also an amazing coating, pads would barely wear but work realy well in any weather, my koxx browns on that rim were very impressive! these rims were generaly about £50-60 compared to the standard D521 at £25ish

Adam

yeah, this was something you could get years ago, I remember it being on goatwheels.com.

I haven't personally tried the Plazmatic coating, I have tried other types (less harsh) and they are pretty sweet. I think for most riders rims are too expendable to consider having the treatment though.

So why exactly isn't it heard of nowadays? Surely if it was amazing as everyone making it out to be then we would/should have kept using it, right?

EDIT: also, how is it put on the rim? and what exactly is it? is it grit in the paint or something a peice of material stuck onto the rim?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

So why exactly isn't it heard of nowadays? Surely if it was amazing as everyone making it out to be then we would/should have kept using it, right?

Cons:

-SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! $150 per rim which make this too expensive by the time it reaches the public. Approx $300 for a rim

-if you get oil on it (blown Magura line) very difficult to clean. Can't use a grinder to clean it.

-if you buckle your rim your investment bye bye

its put on as a plasma jet (not a paint) which is a very expensive process. As I said, people class trials rims as almost a throw-away-able item. Rims are so light weight and so minimal it would seem a little crazy to add a $150 coating for the rim to be replaced in less than 12 months.

its put on as a plasma jet (not a paint) which is a very expensive process. As I said, people class trials rims as almost a throw-away-able item. Rims are so light weight and so minimal it would seem a little crazy to add a $150 coating for the rim to be replaced in less than 12 months.

Very true i suppose.. Surly the smooth comp riders like vince, gilles etc could keep their rims for longer than than?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rigida-grizzly-26-(559)-mtb-css-rim-black-32-hole-prod14245/

Sound alot like the CSS coating used on some of our Rigida rims

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Naa, just the whole link isn't link'd, if you know what i mean.

Just copy and paste the whole lot into the address bar

This topic really is mighty oldschool, almost like googling something that's no longer around. No links work, no pictures work and there's very little information :P

I've always wondered what this coat is exactly and still don't know. Plazmatic made some rather interesting stuff in the past like special trials-specific rotors and disc brake pads. Although for some reason I always thought that Plazmatic was Tim's venture, not something from Oz.

That's like Mavic Ceramic coating, quite a bit different.

"The carbide is projected at seven times the speed of sound on to the rim embedding it into the alloy. Unlike a ceramic surface it cannot flake away as it is part of the rim (not a layer)"

The Mavic and DT Swiss ceramic rims were just coats, which were aweful for flaking off.

The Carbide rims are a super harsh rim surface, hence why specific pads are needed