Busted Bikez.

I-LUV-TRIALS

Hey guys, i know theres a few of you on here with motorbikes so thought i would spread the word.

i own a motorcycle salvage and repairs garage in cornwall.

website is abit naff at the moment but its www.bustedbikez.co.uk

you can access my ebay shop from there aswell.

Also like the facebook page here im always putting updates on there

cheers for helping out a fellow trials rider :) the more i can earn the more i can ride :)

Adam.

well cheers for the support guys.

was only asking for a little bit of help seeing as ive just started my own business and im completely skint and thought people might be able to help me out but it would appear that thats too much to ask.

Thanks for nothing, Adam.

Busted Bikez.....

My concerns are two fold:

1. 'Busted' Bikez - This makes me feel as if I might be buying something which is broken. This does not interest me.

2. 'Bikez' - With a 'Z'. This makes me believe that the person in charge of the shop site is either a young teenager, or someone who is poor/chavvy/lower-class/etc. This does not interest me.

By actually using the letter 'Z' (firstly I have no idea why you would, or why the craze ever started) but it actually reads as: Bike-ez, like someone with an exceptionally stronger Gordie accent saying "Bikers". I imagine it's the word 'Bikes' that you're going for, so would suggest the 'S' is put in place, like intended.

Without being overly silly I think your negative reaction is down to your lack of effort. No one on here owes you anything so there needs to be a reason to visit the site and support your business. I'm not sure how people get it so wrong. Look at Tartybikes, look at all the ways they help, the services they provide, the countless times they provide exceptional service.....that's why they've got their reputation, so you need to do something to build yours. Not be whiney and sullen.

Liked it (Y), Think its a awesome idea myself, The name itself is very down to earth (bikers are basically big teenagers lol) and bikers will like it :)

How can you possible down to lack of effort? i find that hard to believe, Have you been there and judged yourself?

Edited by trials owns

I don't think I've ever said this before, and will probably never say it again, but here goes...

I agree with Matthew62.

My tips for making this business work:

• Either sack the current website off, or hire a designer to start from scratch. It instantly reflects you and your business, which at the moment shows me you're badly thought out, rushed/half-arsed and most importantly, black.
  • Change the name, at least as far as Broken Bikes, because then it doesn't use a z instead of an s, it doesn't use the word busted (sounds a bit too American to me), and you get a bit of a play on words. (Broken Bikes, bikes that have ceased to be working bikes, that are now being split up and sold in bits.)

This isn't coming from my arsey b*****d side I usually post on here from by the way, but from my web designer/buyer of second hand bike spares for about 10 years side.

Liked it (Y), Think its a awesome idea myself, The name itself is very down to earth (bikers are basically big teenagers lol) and bikers will like it :)

How can you possible down to lack of effort? i find that hard to believe, Have you been there and judged yourself?

Have I been there......? What to either his online shop or his ebay shop? You know, his online presence, that your visit, er, um..online.

Busted Bikez.....

My concerns are two fold:

1. 'Busted' Bikez - This makes me feel as if I might be buying something which is broken. This does not interest me.

2. 'Bikez' - With a 'Z'. This makes me believe that the person in charge of the shop site is either a young teenager, or someone who is poor/chavvy/lower-class/etc. This does not interest me.

By actually using the letter 'Z' (firstly I have no idea why you would, or why the craze ever started) but it actually reads as: Bike-ez, like someone with an exceptionally stronger Gordie accent saying "Bikers". I imagine it's the word 'Bikes' that you're going for, so would suggest the 'S' is put in place, like intended.

Without being overly silly I think your negative reaction is down to your lack of effort. No one on here owes you anything so there needs to be a reason to visit the site and support your business. I'm not sure how people get it so wrong. Look at Tartybikes, look at all the ways they help, the services they provide, the countless times they provide exceptional service.....that's why they've got their reputation, so you need to do something to build yours. Not be whiney and sullen.

the whole point is its for smashed up bikes, hence "motorcycle salvage" i was just thinking seeing as its supposed to be a community on here were people help people out it wouldnt of been an issue. i know if someone else had just started up a business i would be more than happy to help them out.

the more sole traders we get the better, im fed up of big companies pushing everyone out.

I don't think I've ever said this before, and will probably never say it again, but here goes...

I agree with Matthew62.

My tips for making this business work:

• Either sack the current website off, or hire a designer to start from scratch. It instantly reflects you and your business, which at the moment shows me you're badly thought out, rushed/half-arsed and most importantly, black.
  • Change the name, at least as far as Broken Bikes, because then it doesn't use a z instead of an s, it doesn't use the word busted (sounds a bit too American to me), and you get a bit of a play on words. (Broken Bikes, bikes that have ceased to be working bikes, that are now being split up and sold in bits.)

This isn't coming from my arsey b*****d side I usually post on here from by the way, but from my web designer/buyer of second hand bike spares for about 10 years side.

the issue with "broken bikes" is theres a shop just down the road from me called broken box, and lets just say the work isnt the best and in no way would i like to be associated with them :/

to be honest adam has done everything off his own back got himself a garage got himself stock and is doing repairs spending ALOT of time there breaking bikes down and listing stuff on ebay labeling all the parts up,

when he told me about his idea i must admit i didn't think the name was right,

but he has a very nice work shop not like you see in other shitty back ally garages,

this guy has done very well for himself!

Im still struggling how u can say lack of effort, Can u prove the above?? Have u wanted questions about the products sold? How do u know how this guys service is???? Have u ordered anything? yeah though not....

What about 'Benevolent Bikes' - would suit your ethos and outlook too.....it's just the Z really annoys me, but again same as in the Muel Train (and it pains me to agree with that old duck) but as a designer it gets my goat.

Your a designer? cool Adam isn't.

He is a mechanic, i dont know you but im gonna guess you are not? im sure if he seen you work on a bike it would "get on his goat?"

see where im coming from?

Im still struggling how u can say lack of effort, Can u prove the above?? Have u wanted questions about the products sold? How do u know how this guys service is???? Have u ordered anything? yeah though not....

thanks for the support guys, the website was done as a favour from a mate for nothing so i cant complain.

im putting every penny and all my spare time into making this work.

all i was hoping for was a little bit of help from what i would class as a really close knitt community on here.

thanks, Adam.

Nicely done on being proactive and starting a business.

Right, now that I've got those ridiculous niceties out the way:

Whether it matters to you or not, I'm currently running 3 relatively successful businesses, and one of them deals specifically with improving other small businesses - so hopefully you take the following on board.

You ARE getting help from the community, you're getting help and advice from people who know what they're talking about before you push an ultimately flawed setup onto your target market. Would you prefer us all to lick your rim, tell you you're great and allow you to go ahead and not be as successful as you could? Or would you prefer to get the groundwork sorted from the beginning so that you can make more wonga?

Be honest with yourself: If you went to a trials shop online and you were greeted with a website like yours, would you buy? I said be honest, and the answer is no - not if there is a professional looking alternative. So start there, being 20 you must know someone who's studying or just starting out with web design that you can pay in beer or blowjobs. Remember the saying that you only get one chance to make a first impression? Yours is your website, and currently it's giving the wrong impression because it sounds like you've actually got a nice setup. That website screams to me that you're working out of your bedroom, or robbing the stuff you're selling.

Whether this sounds grammar nazi or not, when you're representing your business use capital letters, correct spelling and punctuation. It will boost your professionalism. That means EVERYWHERE you type online, because you ARE your business. Now that you're a business owner, you will be able to present your business absolutely everywhere that you are - every time you open your mouth or type something you could pique someones interest in you and your business, and you have more chance of doing that if you come across professionally.

In terms of the name, I personally couldn't give a flying f**k about it - I always had the same view with band names when I was playing: Just pick something and stick with it. Let's be honest here, 'Tartybikes' is hardly the coolest name in the world, but it works because it's just a word associated with a business that provides quality kit and service.

If you take a step back and realise people are trying to help and not shoot down your business, you'll be open to those suggestions and you'll get to success far quicker. I had to learn that the hard way, so I urge you to take the easy way.

• Like 3

Lack of effort regarding the initial advertisement. The advertisement on this forum. The advertisement on this forum which strictly speaking isn't allowed.

I'm a potential new customer right.....I'm being informed about a new shops/service that might benefit me....ok, and the initial advert did nothing to entice me. In fact, the negative comment was the only reason i checked the website, and that was disappointing. I explained I didn't like the name as it gives a negative impression....so that's what i'm trying to say...If i'm indicative of a typical customer then I have had a negative first impression, therefore i'm not inclined to learn more about the company. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, it is just my first hand impression. Some would call it feedback.

You seem to think i'm judging the entire business. I'm quite sure a great service is being provided, but my point is i'll never know as i'd never get to the stage of placing an order etc....so to me a slightly more enthusiastic opener, or a better name, a nicer identity etc would have created a much stronger first impression, which then may have generated some interest in me.

He is a mechanic, i dont know you but im gonna guess you are not? im sure if he seen you work on a bike it would "get on his goat?"

Nah i've worked as a mechanic also..... all be it when I was younger, but i guess it counts...no?

the issue with "broken bikes" is theres a shop just down the road from me called broken box, and lets just say the work isnt the best and in no way would i like to be associated with them :/

Fair reason that, I'd think of something completely different then. The BB/BB initials would still lead me to get them mixed up to be honest.

:lol: Eh?!

dent say nuffink.

to be honest adam has done everything off his own back got himself a garage got himself stock and is doing repairs spending ALOT of time there breaking bikes down and listing stuff on ebay labeling all the parts up,

when he told me about his idea i must admit i didn't think the name was right,

but he has a very nice work shop not like you see in other shitty back ally garages,

this guy has done very well for himself!

Excellent stuff, sounds like in the areas he's good at he's well on his way, but his online presence is lacking and will hold him back if he doesn't get it sorted.

All irrelevant as no-one has said anything about that kinda stuff? Everyone has said the website looks shit, suggesting those things.

I'm both, (better with bikes than web design actually, well 2 strokes anyway, never worked on a 4 stroke engine), but I can tell you what I'm not, a baker of fine cakes. Would I therefore make my own wedding cake? Would I f**kery. I'd pay someone who does it for a living to do it. Same logic should be applied to a website.

Edited by Muel

Nicely done on being proactive and starting a business.

Right, now that I've got those ridiculous niceties out the way:

Whether it matters to you or not, I'm currently running 3 relatively successful businesses, and one of them deals specifically with improving other small businesses - so hopefully you take the following on board.

You ARE getting help from the community, you're getting help and advice from people who know what they're talking about before you push an ultimately flawed setup onto your target market. Would you prefer us all to lick your rim, tell you you're great and allow you to go ahead and not be as successful as you could? Or would you prefer to get the groundwork sorted from the beginning so that you can make more wonga?

Be honest with yourself: If you went to a trials shop online and you were greeted with a website like yours, would you buy? I said be honest, and the answer is no - not if there is a professional looking alternative. So start there, being 20 you must know someone who's studying or just starting out with web design that you can pay in beer or blowjobs. Remember the saying that you only get one chance to make a first impression? Yours is your website, and currently it's giving the wrong impression because it sounds like you've actually got a nice setup. That website screams to me that you're working out of your bedroom, or robbing the stuff you're selling.

Whether this sounds grammar nazi or not, when you're representing your business use capital letters, correct spelling and punctuation. It will boost your professionalism. That means EVERYWHERE you type online, because you ARE your business. Now that you're a business owner, you will be able to present your business absolutely everywhere that you are - every time you open your mouth or type something you could pique someones interest in you and your business, and you have more chance of doing that if you come across professionally.

In terms of the name, I personally couldn't give a flying f**k about it - I always had the same view with band names when I was playing: Just pick something and stick with it. Let's be honest here, 'Tartybikes' is hardly the coolest name in the world, but it works because it's just a word associated with a business that provides quality kit and service.

If you take a step back and realise people are trying to help and not shoot down your business, you'll be open to those suggestions and you'll get to success far quicker. I had to learn that the hard way, so I urge you to take the easy way.

Thanks for the help maate, information like this is what i need, not people telling my i've put no effort in when they have no idea.

The website was done for free be someone, I can't design a website to save my life, but I also can't afford to pay someone to make one.

The way I look at it is Rome wasn't built in a day so for now the website will have to do, when I have more money coming in it will be the first thing on my list to get done, you made a very good point about it being first impressions and how if i went to a website and there was a better one i would go to that.

Thanks, Adam.

I'd listen to JD on this one (as well as the other guys offering constructive criticism.

If you have a nice workshop, then get pictures of it on your website! It would remove any idea that you're just selling crap out of your bedroom, which is a real risk with businesses like this.

It might be worth rethinking the opening page of the site. Like JD says, it's peoples first impression of the business, and the first sentence starts "We also..." as a visitor to the site that phrase makes it sound like you've not seen something, or are expected to have prior knowledge of the business. Something along the lines of "As well as offering a comprehensive motorcycle repair and maintenance service, we also....." might make more sense.

I don't know enough about web design to comment on the site its self, but it does look a little amateurish, a header with your contact details tends to be common place on business sites, so might be worth adding to make things look a bit more professional.

You've got some good advice and constructive criticism in this thread about the areas of your buisness that seem to be in need of work. It sounds like you've worked hard at the mechanical side, and the physical business set-up, so it's worth not spoiling things through poor advertising. Listen to what people are saying, thank them for their input, and ignore the few people who aren't being constructive, and you'll do well.

Good luck with the business.

Edited by RobinJI

Thanks for the help maate, information like this is what i need, not people telling my i've put no effort in when they have no idea.

The website was done for free be someone, I can't design a website to save my life, but I also can't afford to pay someone to make one.

The way I look at it is Rome wasn't built in a day so for now the website will have to do, when I have more money coming in it will be the first thing on my list to get done, you made a very good point about it being first impressions and how if i went to a website and there was a better one i would go to that.

Thanks, Adam.

You'd be better off just having a Facebook page 'till you can afford a decent website - remember you could be making a dodgy first impression for yourself which will be irreparable in the future. Personally I'd be trying to find someone who would do you another freebie without offending the guy who did that one too much. Someone who can throw you together a couple of page Wordpress site - it'll only take them a couple of hours to put something simple together. You could even spend a little bit of time doing it yourself - with no knowledge you could still get something together that gave a better impression than that one.

Nice work on putting effort into that post (Y) Instantly gives a totally different perception of you.

I'd listen to JD on this one (as well as the other guys offering constructive criticism.

If you have a nice workshop, then get pictures of it on your website! It would remove any idea that you're just selling crap out of your bedroom, which is a real risk with businesses like this.

It might be worth rethinking the opening page of the site. Like JD says, it's peoples first impression of the business, and the first sentence starts "We also..." as a visitor to the site that phrase makes it sound like you've not seen something, or are expected to have prior knowledge of the business. Something along the lines of "As well as offering a comprehensive motorcycle repair and maintenance service, we also....." might make more sense.

I don't know enough about web design to comment on the site its self, but it does look a little amateurish, a header with your contact details tends to be common place on business sites, so might be worth adding to make things look a bit more professional.

You've got some good advice and constructive criticism in this thread about the areas of your buisness that seem to be in need of work. It sounds like you've worked hard at the mechanical side, and the physical business set-up, so it's worth not spoiling things through poor advertising. Listen to what people are saying, thank them for their input, and ignore the few people who aren't being constructive, and you'll do well.

Good luck with the business.

Cheers for that, really good idea to get some pictures up actually, i'll try and get hold of the guy who done the site.

Thanks, Adam