Mission Impossible: Checking My Bank Balance Online.

JT!

This is getting a little out of hand now. This is the process I have to preform to log into HSBC to see my accounts.

1. Enter in a big long random number that starts with two letters. I can not change this and I know I shouldn't have it stored in a notepad but I do.

2. Answer a personal question that appears to be the same every time, similar to mothers maiden name or fathers middle name etc.

3. I then have to turn on this stupid little keychain thing they sent me.

4. Enter in my 4 digit code to access it.

5. Press a button to get a randomly generated number.

6. Enter that number into the site.

This is ridiculous! I understand phishing is a problem, but is this really the best way around it?

What does that keychain number pad thing do anyway? Just give you a number by some kind of algorithm that only they know?

I'm with Natwest, they're trying to make me use that f**king keypad to log in but I keep clicking no. I have to:

• Put in my customer number (DOB followed by 4 digits, win).
  • Enter 3 digits of my online PIN
  • Enter 3 letters of my online password
  • Click no I really don't want extra security.

Mine is

Account number

Card in reader

Pin in reader

Random 8 digit code into computer

Done. Nice and simple as I 'lost' a lot of the readers so I have them dotted around everywhere. Which is handy, with 4 accounts to check daily!

I'm with Natwest too, have no idea what that little calculator they give you does, I can only assume its for working out how little interest they're going to pay me this month.

Online transfers. But only if you want to add a new payee. If you're sending to a payee you've used before you can do it without.

I love Natwest, they think about these things. After all, why would a baddy want to steal my monies by sending it to my Mum or my landlord?

I'm with HSBC and have the same setup, you should be able to change your IB number to something more memorable to yourself, then you can use either the IB or your personal logon. You still need to put your security number into the keypad and answer the questions but its not too bad once you get used to it, remembering the IB number was my biggest problem :)

I still have no idea how those keypad things work!

Pretty sure the keypads aren't used much for personal banking yet, as Muel said just for setting up a payee. With the business accounts I have to use them for practically every step of the banking. It's like anything though, a ballache to begin with then you just do it on autopilot.

Pretty sure the keypads aren't used much for personal banking yet, as Muel said just for setting up a payee. With the business accounts I have to use them for practically every step of the banking. It's like anything though, a ballache to begin with then you just do it on autopilot.

You need the keypad for HSBC just to log into the account, you can then do anything (send/transfer money etc. etc.) without having to use it again; that is for personal, it might be different for business. What I don't get is how on earth the log in website knows what secure number the keypad generated! If someone could give a reasonable explanation it would be cool :)

You need the keypad for HSBC just to log into the account, you can then do anything (send/transfer money etc. etc.) without having to use it again; that is for personal, it might be different for business. What I don't get is how on earth the log in website knows what secure number the keypad generated! If someone could give a reasonable explanation it would be cool :)

I'd imagine, although I'm not sure, that it'll be a algorithm which takes in your account number, sort code, time and date, your pin, and some sort of checksum which will change regularly to spit out an 8 digit number. That'd be why if you leave it a couple of minutes before punching stuff into the keypad it gives you a code which is 'wrong' on the computer.

EDIT: Chip Authentication Program

Edited by JD™

I just memorised my HSBC IB number years ago and it's fine. I don't like the calculator thing though - too easy to misplace.

The HSBC calculator thing isn't like other ones - you don't put your card into it. I think the way it works is the first time you register, it asks you to choose and input a random 4 digit PIN (you don't tell the bank or the website this pin) however the bank does know the serial number of your Secure Key pad. The pad has an algorithm (depending on the device's serial number) that converts your PIN into another number (6 digits). If you know the algorithm (presumably the HSBC servers do) and your initial response then you can predict which 6 digit the device will come up with on subsequent uses. Similar to RSA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(algorithm) - the Secure Key's serial number would be the 'public' key) although I don't think it's quite as secure as full-blown RSA - it's just an additional layer of security.

This is getting a little out of hand now. This is the process I have to preform to log into HSBC to see my accounts.

1. Enter in a big long random number that starts with two letters. I can not change this and I know I shouldn't have it stored in a notepad but I do.

2. Answer a personal question that appears to be the same every time, similar to mothers maiden name or fathers middle name etc.

3. I then have to turn on this stupid little keychain thing they sent me.

4. Enter in my 4 digit code to access it.

5. Press a button to get a randomly generated number.

6. Enter that number into the site.

This is ridiculous! I understand phishing is a problem, but is this really the best way around it?

What does that keychain number pad thing do anyway? Just give you a number by some kind of algorithm that only they know?

I have to do the same thing apart from 1. is a username I chose.

I like it because its a lot of effort so im less inclined to check my bank balance meaning i get less depressed. :)

Lloyds = User Number >> Password >> Use drop down boxes to select random 3 digits from memorable information.

Nationwide = User Number >> On card reader screen click link 'Log in using memorable data' >> Memorable Data >> Use drop down boxes to select random 3 numbers from pass number.

Nationwide did send me a card reader ages ago but I never used it, I have been bypassing the card reader screen and using the memorable data thing for ages now so binned the card reader!

I don't think Hsbc's all that difficult really. It does give you the option to change you're number to a name. I just type in my name, answer my secret question and then generate a code.

What is a pain in the arse, is having to generate another number, and entering the last 4 digits of the account number when transferring money.

I personally find hsbc alot easier than natwest/barclays etc in terms of online banking.