V Brake Cables

isitafox

Spray down the outer and either some wet lube on the inners or a little grease in your fingers and give it a really light coat (so it's effectively just oiling the inner, rather than putting so much on it can gunk up)

Always gave problem/resistance-free running for me over the past 10 years or so (both trials and other riding!) :)

Spray down the outer and either some wet lube on the inners or a little grease in your fingers and give it a really light coat (so it's effectively just oiling the inner, rather than putting so much on it can gunk up)

Always gave problem/resistance-free running for me over the past 10 years or so (both trials and other riding!) :)

THIS

are linear cables much better than standard cables? What's the actual difference in them to standard?

Linear cables still work with a tight bend in em so good if you do tailwhips or even if you just want to run an awkward cable route. Also it's easier to get a nice flat end when you cut them which gives better performance/feel. Regular slic cable is still fine in the right situation if you grind the ends flat.

you lost me? Perpendicular to what sides? Do linear cables offer a smoother lighter pull?

It's easier to explain with a picture

cable-cuts.gif

The one on the left will not seat properly and will make the brake feel mushy. The one on the right will seat nicely and feel loads better.

If you have a slic cable already it should work fine providing you have a good cable route, grind the ends and don't want to do tailwhips. If you're looking to buy a new cable it's probably worth getting a linear one.

Edited by Chris Borneo