Should I Be Better?

Conradm94

I didnt really want to start a new topic about this but couldnt find anything else.

Right so I started riding about 3 months ago,(24') and I feel like its coming along really slowly.

I can hop 2-3 times on back wheel, bunny hop(proper kind!) 180 front wheel pivots, ok balence + trackstand, nearly getting 180s, and can do small sidehops off pavements.

should i have progressed further than this? BTW i ride between 1-2.5 hours in a week.

this probably sounds stupid but I'd like an answer..

Cheers :)

I didnt really want to start a new topic about this but couldnt find anything else.

Right so I started riding about 3 months ago,(24') and I feel like its coming along really slowly.

I can hop 2-3 times on back wheel, bunny hop(proper kind!) 180 front wheel pivots, ok balence + trackstand, nearly getting 180s, and can do small sidehops off pavements.

should i have progressed further than this? BTW i ride between 1-2.5 hours in a week.

2.5 hours a week isnt much at all so it may take longer to learn stuff.

keep practising the rear wheel hops and focus more of you attention on learning the pedal kick. forget the bunny hops and 180 pivots for now ;). once you get the pedal kick down your progress will shoot up.

• Like 1

2.5 hours a week isnt much at all so it may take longer to learn stuff.

keep practising the rear wheel hops and focus more of you attention on learning the pedal kick. forget the bunny hops and 180 pivots for now ;). once you get the pedal kick down your progress will shoot up.

This this and this. As soon as you learn how to hop forward on the back wheel your options are opened dramatically. Then you can progress to going up curbs, small walls and get bigger and bigger.

Hopping on the back wheel will get your balance up for sure but theres no point having loads of balance without being able to do anything with it.

this is my problem. I proper struggling to learn pedal hops, ended up on my arse loads of times. the hopping about bit and getting up stuff up to about 3 ft high is ok, but I struggle with anything higher.

Hopping on the back wheel will get your balance up for sure but theres no point having loads of balance without being able to do anything with it.

On the other hand, a lack of balance is a severe limiting factor in riding. I'd know...

Having sick balance also makes learning stuff easier because you can concentrate on the new technique rather than trying to balance badly too.

this is my problem. I proper struggling to learn pedal hops, ended up on my arse loads of times. the hopping about bit and getting up stuff up to about 3 ft high is ok, but I struggle with anything higher.

your struggling to learn pedal kicks but you can get up stuff 3ft high?

I've been riding Dirt jumps and DH for 2 years, I can bunnyhop high, pedal kick (only once in a row) and nose pivot and I'm about to get my first trials bike.

It really depends on what experience on a bike you have. Your all round skills really go into trials!! :turned:

i started in 1999 :D back then it took me about 3-4 months before i got into lurching the bike on the back wheel.

i quickly got the hang of getting onto walls and doing sideways drop offs.

i rode trials till 2001 by then i could 180 drop off. lurch onto a wall 2' high from standing start and land on the back wheel. i could geto onto wals around 4' high and get a dh bike onto a 2'5" box.

since i rode northshore, dirt, skate parks, xc, downhill ect...

startred up trials again 3 months ago, got back into it pretty quickly and learned way more in 3 months than i did in 3 years before.

i thnik if you have ridden before, the skills you have got from bmx or dh street riding will help you get better quicker, if you didnt ride much before then you are learning from scratch and it will take time.

i would recomend doing some dirt jumps or skate park jumps thought it will improve your confidence loads on the trials bike

that's a very small ammount of time you spend on your bike, so I don't think that you are a slow learner. I would recommend you to learn backwheel hops, they make you alot safer on your bike, and this will improve your overall riding :)

you said that you're ended up on your arse when trying, is your brakes good? Because that might be a reson why you end up on youre arse.

I can also recommend "www.trashen.com" they have very good guides. (Im not quite sure about the spelling of the website, but it is something like that) :)

ignore that JD idiot he thinks he's hilarious always cracking wise never funny

Or, of course, I could just have realised that there's more to riding than 'being better' for one thing. For another, everyone is individual and has different levels of natural talent as well as different learning speeds. How good someone is isn't just down to what they concentrate on and how long they do so. The main thing is that fun should be had while riding. I've been riding for 12 odd years, and absolutely suck. Yes, I 'should' be 'better', but who gives a rats arse?

Obviously, I could just be an idiot trying to be hilarious :rolleyes: Clearly you know exactly what I think before I post.

I can also recommend "www.trashen.com" they have very good guides. (Im not quite sure about the spelling of the website, but it is something like that) :)

Just for clarity, it's www.trashzen.com (Y)

Edited by JD™
  • Like 4

ignore that JD idiot he thinks he's hilarious always cracking wise never funny

8 POSTS! Listen to this dude, he's obviously a forum veteran, and is above us all!

Like said above, everyone progresses at their own level. For me it took 3 months to learn to hop on the back wheel, and yet now after only 18 months I seem to be pushing my riding to a level I never dreamed of. Just ignore everybody else and practice when you want.

I still struggle to see why people feel the need to compare themselves in such a small sport, when in reality we should be supporting and pushing eachother.

James