Karbon / Headset Scary Noise.

Greetings

I've ridden my Karbon fork maybe 20 hours since I got it and it's recently developed an awful noise, reminiscent of an about to snap aluminium fork. Perhaps it's worth noting that I couldn't have killed it, it takes me 1 whole season to get through a pair of 4-bolt SL forks.

There is no play anywhere, this clicking noise is only present when rotation is applied - be it when riding or when you just turn the bars with the wheel in the air which suggests to me that something is bent. It will click only once maybe twice in each direction, after that no more clicking occurs when it rotates in the air until you ride it for a very brief moment. A pivot is enough to get it clicking again.

Headset is new, took some effort to squeeze in, everything else is nice and tight. The fork rotates freely, there are no signs of it getting tight anywhere.

Now the only thing other than the fork that could make a noise is the headset. It's a Bonz Pro Light and the split ring in the top race doesn't seem to want to go deep enough into the top bearing race. I'd assume it should level out with the cup, instead it sticks out about 1mm. This is the only odd thing I've noticed in this headset that doesn't seem 100% right to me. I don't recall seeing this on complete Ozonys bikes.

Headset:

bonz_externa_033.jpg

Perhaps someone else on here had a similar problem with this fork?

Are you running an insert ? If not don't ride it till you have one in. Could be that there about to go mine are flexing more than when I first put them on, luckily I am out the country and will have an insert to put in by the time I get back .

Yep, got an insert. Wouldn't want to ride without one.

That's some sort of headtube/headset/crown race alignment issue. Bearings moving around in the cups.

Good call.

This is the strangely poking out split ring:

img4738k.jpg

And bottom, not that there appears to be anything wrong here.

img4739uy.jpg

The Echo head tubes don't need facing if I'm not mistaken so this would bring the problem down to the headset. Unless there could be a problem with the fork crown not being level? I could try changing back to an SL fork and seeing if that makes a similar noise. If not then one can rule the headset out.

Edited by Greetings

Yep, got an insert. Wouldn't want to ride without one.

Good call.

This is the strangely poking out split ring:

img4738k.jpg

And bottom, not that there appears to be anything wrong here.

img4739uy.jpg

The Echo head tubes don't need facing if I'm not mistaken so this would bring the problem down to the headset. Unless there could be a problem with the fork crown not being level? I could try changing back to an SL fork and seeing if that makes a similar noise. If not then one can rule the headset out.

Maybe it´s just the photo and dust on the cup,but it looks like the upper cup isn´t fully pressed in?

Yeah, the headtubes seem to be faced from the factory, but wouldn't harm to do it yourself to be sure.

Fitting a different set of forks may give the same noise if the crown hasn't been faced.

I would be tempted to smear grease on all the contact surfaces in the headset (bearings to races, bearings to cups) and try again. That will tell you if it's defo bearings shifting around, then you know you need to look at alignments.

Edit: Yeah, that split ring doesn't look to be the correct one for the headset...

• Like 1

Split ring is definitely from that headset or the factory made numerous mistakes. It's actually a really odd headset, not sure if you have them in stock but it seems to clamp the steerer in two places.

There's definitely some movement in the top cup. While the anodizing in the bottom cup is worn evenly, the top cup is worn in one axis.

img4741f.jpg

img4740j.jpg

img4745r.jpg

Also found this, would it be something to worry about? There's actually a fracture going into the carbon weave on the bottom of the pic.

img4752t.jpg

Move up in the world get a chris king headset.. fully sealed bearings its pretty much press the cups in and go! Had mine 6 years and have never come across any problems as of yet ( Just ensure you put a bit of grease inside the cups to keep it fully sealed in a working order and had the headset in about 5 different frames. Im not a fan of headsets like yours with all the seperate bearings n parts to go with it. Kings seems to be easy and take hassle away.

Move up in the world get a chris king headset.. fully sealed bearings its pretty much press the cups in and go! Had mine 6 years and have never come across any problems as of yet ( Just ensure you put a bit of grease inside the cups to keep it fully sealed in a working order and had the headset in about 5 different frames. Im not a fan of headsets like yours with all the seperate bearings n parts to go with it. Kings seems to be easy and take hassle away.

Don't really see the point of spending 10x more on a King headset than anything else that does the job just as well. Only briefly used a CK headset and didn't find it any better than an Echo for instance. Besides, I wouldn't buy anything from Chris King now having seen how much the hub quality deteriorated over the past few years. The reason I went for the Bonz headset is that it clamps the steerer very high up which can only be a good thing when you've got a fork that has a determined minimum stack height.

aren´t those split compression rings normally UNDER the upper dust cap???

Depends on the headset.

Anyway, re-assembled now, put grease on the contact areas and it's quiet. Will post again if problem persists.

Edited by Greetings

Don't really see the point of spending 10x more on a King headset than anything else that does the job just as well. Only briefly used a CK headset and didn't find it any better than an Echo for instance. Besides, I wouldn't buy anything from Chris King now having seen how much the hub quality deteriorated over the past few years.

I got mine for £70.00 from usa about 6 years ago and that was brand new with the shipping sent as gift. I think this was the years before manufacturers went downhill in production and quality on products.

If you are worried about price even the Tensile Ace headset is pretty much a replica of the king with the sealed bearings and half the price.

Also forgot to ask what method are you using to press your headset and crown race?

Andy

Edited by Andeee

Alternatively it's really not necessary to blow so much on a headset? You really are just paying for the name.

Grab a Cane Creek S3 headset for instance. Can pick them up for £18 brand new on a certain popular auction site.

Want uprated bearings, despite the fact that you'll never kill the normal ones? Upgrade to the S8 for under £25 instead.

A King, even at "just" £70, that's utterly retarded for a headset.

The Tensile is a better shout and a more realistic price for sure, but yeah :)

Edit; Monsieur Inur, if you did want to replace the headset at all I can;t recommend these enough. All I've run for the past few years and never had a single issue (Y)

S8 here

Also forgot to ask what method are you using to press your headset and crown race?

Just a normal headset tool, nothing fancy.

70 quid sounds good, but it's still 70 quid. I've been hanging on to a rear King for 7 years now because it works brilliantly and kind of contributes to my safety but a headset is just a headset. Each of their own I guess.

A King, even at "just" £70, that's utterly retarded for a headset.

There is a vital saying out in the world of sales and buying stuff.. " The more you pay the more you get for your money". 6 years i have had my king and not one problem.. worth every penny pal...! Some of us do like the quality and manufacturing that go into products unlike mass produced taiwan cack.

Edited by Andeee

" The more you pay the more you get for your money".

That "saying" is f**king retarded too, the "world of sales and buying stuff" need to rethink it. Unless of course you pay as much as you can for a product expecting it to be guaranteed to be better? :huh:

I'm all for quality engineering and high quality components all day long and I'm more than happy to pay a premium for it, but there's good kit and there's unnecessary. I've run CC headsets on all my bikes for the past 8 years or so and never had a single issue. Other folks I know that have done much the same also more than happy. Most people I know that've run King headsets for trials have all had the usual King "wobble" that develops (which is an easy fix, but that's not the point.)

There is a vital saying out in the world of sales and buying stuff.. " The more you pay the more you get for your money".

Unfortunately,this isn´t the case as there´s plenty of headsets just as good or even better(which don´t dig in you steerer tube like king does).I would say this is very important especially in case you use carbon forks http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset#Why_not_a_Chris_King_headset.3F .

Edited by ghostrider88

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow destroyed the bearings in my Chris King headset. It was pretty old and battered when I got it though, so I wasn't that suprised. Still have it too! Might replace the bearings one day and re use it!