The Car Thread

MadManMike

What did you do to lose the trapped air in the system? I think I have the same problem with mine...

I've replaced the fuel filter as a bit of a precautionary in case that was adding to the issue, so bled the air out then. Had one slight moment of power loss on the first trip out afterwards but only a moment of slight hesitation rather than anything major which I assume was the engine running on air for a stroke, but that's all. Now running as well as ever which almost makes it a shame to see such a brilliantly reliable little £500 motor go, but it's just not quite enough fun :P

what is the power:weight on that little thing anyway? I remember you saying it was 228bhp, forget the weight.

About 390bhp/ton (589kg). However, doing some calcs, it shoudn't be able to do 125mph and still going (speedo showed 130 and I set it a bit over for road driving) if it has that amount of bhp, due to the drag and frontal area. So it might have a bit more.

I'm going to do a bit of work on the intake system that will mean a RR session, so we will see...

Where have you got your frontal area and drag coefficient figures from Adam? A lot of text books and online sources tell people to use methods of calculating it that are hideously inaccurate, especially with cars like yours.

I managed to get the Scirocco fired up early this afternoon :D Since then I've been fiddling with finishing bits, fitted a smaller radiator fan and continuing to modify the new clutch master cylinder. I should have most of it finished by tomorrow evening and ready for an MOT first thing wednesday. Can't wait to have a car again, especially something that's a good laugh! The exhaust's a little louder than I'd have liked, so it'll probably get a centre box added sooner or later to quieten it down a bit, but for now I just want it on the road!

• Like 4

Haha, Thanks, don't mention wheels to me! I bought a nice set of Azev's (ok they're copies, I don't care!) for the Scirocco, but the mate who collected them in North Wales for me never made it down last week because of work, so won't get them until he comes back down in another foughtnight, so I'll be running some borrowed Revolutions for now, doesn't sound too bad, but they're Vauxhall fitment meaning epic tuck, haha. Still, I'm bloody lucky to have mates who'll lend me a set of wheels with near brand new tyres on them!

Is it just the vid or are you really easy on the brakes? I guess that thing won't have ABS but it sounds like you're miles away from the wheels locking up, or am I wrong?

Haha, yeah no ABS, the only electronics run the spark plugs, rad fan and the lights! Yeah, I was taking it pretty easy on the brakes. A few reasons... the front discs are cross drilled (I didn't spec them!) and have small cracks, the lockup at 40s put me off a bit (they were being very strict with cars causing red flags, as in, cause more than one and you go home), with the car being so light and stiff (and 55% rear weighted) you have very little weight transfer to the front wheels under braking and it's very easy to lock them up, so only when you get some tyre temperature can you start to lean on the brakes (22.15 in the vid). The was the first time all day I could feel the tyres start working - there was too much traffic the rest of the day to build any heat in those conditions.

390 per ton?!!!! Fuuuuuuuucccckkkk! :D

....please do Snetterton again soon! :P

Haha, I plan to :) Won't tell you about it or invite you along though :P

Where have you got your frontal area and drag coefficient figures from Adam? A lot of text books and online sources tell people to use methods of calculating it that are hideously inaccurate, especially with cars like yours.

It was a Caterham owner's website, don't suppose you know anywhere that has reliable data / info please? If not no worries!

Did a couple of little bits this afternoon which I have been meaning to do for a while.

I've needed to properly debadge the boot for almost 3 years...

374475_10151515662795130_1167603042_n.jpg

533525_10151515663370130_453198612_n.jpg

I want to find a new boot plinth that isn't bubbly too, I CBA to fill this one.

And I sprayed the IC pipes again to touch up the stone chips.

603989_10151515662405130_605821654_n.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the boot, in fact I'm not really that happy with it at all. It looks fine until you inspect it and then it looks a little hazy and there is a small run, so I am going to flat it down tomorrow and re-lacquer it.

To be fair I did to it on the road outside my house, with no masking at all and only a can of Halfords gloss black and a cheap can of lacquer haha.

Got around 14k to spend on a new motor any suggestions?

Nothing vauxhall please never again been looking at seat Cupras seem nice enough motors with decent enough power

I think you'd even find a decent AMG, Audi S or BMW M for that kind of money, so perhaps that's the way to go rather than getting a small hatchback? You'll definitely enjoy the quality/finish these cars have to offer.

Got around 14k to spend on a new motor any suggestions?

Nothing vauxhall please never again been looking at seat Cupras seem nice enough motors with decent enough power

Porsche 996?

Brand new Dacia duster?

E46 M3 (with change)

TVR chimaera

Audi S6

Megane Renaultsport

Need to narrow it down a bit. What do you need / want from a car?

• Like 2