Whats The Best Bike Money Can Buy?

danrobinson

It depends what suits you for size and then it depends on your style of riding. Do you like high/low BB? Long reach short reach? type of brakes? You cant say when you put it like that. If you really want a bike thats really good then make it custom spec, because then it'll ride better to you because it'll be designed to what you like.

• Like 1

Get 2? Prefrably not 2 the same wheel size, say a dd mod and a street 24", or competition stock and a street stock, ect ect?

EDIT - If it was me, I would buy the Onza Gensis stock (dual mag) then get the new mod Genesis (dual mag) and then use the rest of the money to upgrade odd bits on my current mod!

But I am greedy so do what you want aha!

Edited by CalRobbo341

Custom build one. I know I wouldn't be 100% happy with anything pre-built out there at the moment.

It said he started in June, if I'm right guessing that he's ridden for a month... He wouldn't know what he will like in terms of geo, bar height/angle etc.

Above a certain point, you just pay extra for lighter weight, or very high strength. The weight you won't notice unless you're at a very high level, or you won't be smooth enough to get away without breaking the parts while you're learning. Or if pay the extra for serious strength, you simply won't need it, unless you're either very good, or have zero self-preservation instinct! The chances are, you just don't need the greatest bike out there, and you'd just end up wearing it out before you really felt the benefit. You'd likely be fine on something with a reasonable geo and spec, that's strong enough for now, and not stupidly heavy, which you can wear out/hit against things/mess things up on for the time being until you get to a level where the bike is actually the factor holding you back, rather than your skill level.

I'd say spend what you need to in order to get a reliable, comfortable bike, and then spend the rest on time off work/weekends away/road-trips/maintenance to get better at riding the thing. Or just spend it on something other than trials, a £1000 bike will likely be great for now, then you've got £1500 to spend on your life outside trials, might be nice?

• Like 1

Also remember that a £1000 bike is a £400 bike the second you open the box. Second hand trials market is bullshit.

...for sellers.

If you're getting the money to spend as you please, the second hand trials market could happily sort you out with a tidy bike while you squirrel the money away until you've a better idea of what you want/need ;)

• Like 1

If I was a beginner I'd go for a higher spec Zoo (with an 04-07 frame, try find the best one you can second hand) and do it up with a strong bashring, wheels etc.

Personally if I was just starting out and knew what bits were best I'd do that. Go for this kind of spec:

Frame: Try out lots of different peoples bikes and see what frame you feel most comfortable on. I'd say an Onza Limey, they seem super strong, and light. I'd recommend getting the bashplate mounts grinded off.

Echo Urban double walled rims,

TryAll stiky lite tyres,

Any inner tubes are fine really,

Trialtech high rise bars (or TryAll/Rockman/Trialtech carbons),

Trialtech foam grips,

Any 150x30 stem (rockman seems best),

Echo Urban forks,

Onza sealed front & rear non disc hubs,

Front and rear 2011 hs33's with cousts and a grind!

Echo Ti front freewheel,

Whichever full bashring you like most,

Reset Ti bottom bracket,

Echo SL headset,

Any Ti 14t rear sprocket, or whatever ratio you're comfy on, 18-14 seems popular I think.

^ That's a very good strength to weight build. I'm guessing around the 9kg mark. I'm sure most people would agree with me when I say that this is a good build. Hope that helped :)

Personally i'd spend around £600 getting a top spec bike on here and keep the rest.

Always a bad decision when you come into money to spend as much of it as you can.

can't believe that came from you mr cox.

• Like 1

as a new rider you'll only appreciate a "good" bike so much, it takes a long time to really appreciate and understand why you want certain features, that doesn't mean you should settle for something shit, but theres no point buying something totally excessive even if it is sort of a freebie.

A local lad i know received a tasty insurance pay out and decided he'd get into trials, he was about to order an echo SL full build before he even got talking to us, i convinced him to buy the lite full build instead and he progressed very quickly as he had no fear in the bike being unsuitable, but the SL, or a koxx or anything like that, which offers a marginal weight saving is far to delicate to be worthwhile when your still progressing.

You're guna smash your new bike into everything for the first year or two, and you're guna do it badly to, with experience you can bail out of moves with no damage to you or your bike, but when i learnt i frequently smacked my bike around, and then the stronger hardware can really be worth the extra weight.

I'd advise an echo lite, and a pair of stronger forks being ordered simultaneously, with potential consideration to a different back brake (bb7 or hope, or maggy...) as i i found the echo discs weren't up to my personal expectations, consider that you're main new bike, as mods are easiest to learn on and the tiny wheels are indestructible.

if you want a 2nd bike it makes sense to choose something very different to give you variety but it's likely you'll stick to riding pure trials and focus heavily on learning the techniques and riding to a good solid standard for a fair amount of time before you start picking up tricks and integrating a streety style so you could benefit from two different size TGS machines, unles you know you want tricks and you've got a background of using a streety rig... it's always a bit personal and how you ride and do things is unique to you, but i'd advise at the start to stick to learning the core riding stuff on stronger machines that make the job easy, street bikes and competition builds don't make sense for a novice, in my opinion...

i was thinking this: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_trials_bikes/echo_trial/c50p11568.html

and this: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_trials_bikes/zoo_lynx_2012/c10p11722.html

i know im only a beginner but by the time i get my money i would of been riding for a few months :)

could i use the echo 24" as a dirt jump bike also?

and i want a brand new one, i wouldn't feel right spending £600-700 on a second hand bike

if you know what im saying :)