Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while.

Got a question for y'all. Im looking to install Windows 7 on my old macbook pro running Yosemite. Because Yosemite just hogs disk space! Only problem is, I only own an 8gb SD card. I know how to manually create a bootable USB/SD Card via Terminal. But when it comes to using Boot Camp and going through the process, it only allows me to use USB and not the SD Card.

Does anyone have any solution or workaround? I don't want to be running OS X at all.

Better if you can get hold of a USB stick, can be had for a few £. I've turned a spare one into a Windows 7 boot drive only so I no longer need the disc. So handy, especially now I don't have a disc drive no more.

Muel, and or anyone else in here.

If you were going to build a box to meet recommended specs for Project Cars, on a budget because you'll probably not get much chance to actually play it, what would you get?

Muel, and or anyone else in here.

If you were going to build a box to meet recommended specs for Project Cars, on a budget because you'll probably not get much chance to actually play it, what would you get?

It sounds like a very very thirsty game... Recommended CPU is an ivy bridge i7, so there's £250~ there at least, and at least a £200 graphics card to go with it. Probably looking at a £1k build.

I'm gonna need to see a picture of this.

Will grab some later, got some tidying to do first. Boxes and packaging and cabling everywhere at the moment. :lol:

Recommended gpu is a 600 series gtx, I got my gtx660 for 65 quid, hardly 200 :P

Also the minimum cpu is a core2quad, hardly a powerful processor by today's standards, I very this will run quite happily on a i5 2400 which is far from expensive. As an occasional player asking for a budget build its a bit daft to tell him to go buy a 3770 and a gtx960 :)

Mines a i5 4670k but I do have 2 GTX 660 SC in SLI. I only game in 1920x1080 though, in Project Cars I have most settings on Ultra or one under. FPS stays 60 and only dips down to the 40s when there's lots of cars in front of me, like 10+.

There you go 1k build not required :)

Sav, what ratio of gpu usage is there in sli, does it scale across to the second card much?

In Project Cars or in general? Using Precision X OSD it's showing about 60% GPU usage in both cards with all settings maxed out in single player 30 car race. FPS pretty much stayed at 60. But online it drops a bit. I'm only using a 24" 1920x1080 monitor, which is a perfectly fine resolution for that monitor size.

But in general the rule of thumb for SLI is that adding a second card you get about 50% more performance. But that really depends on your other specs and how well the game is optimised for SLI.

I meant in project cars specifically, not all games scale well across sli. Realistically you'll still see around 40 fps with a single 660 on maxed settings? I'd say that's not really all that taxing graphically.

JD, what's your budget, new or second hand? I reckon about 500 quid will get you a good new build, about 2-300 for a second hand build.

I meant in project cars specifically, not all games scale well across sli. Realistically you'll still see around 40 fps with a single 660 on maxed settings? I'd say that's not really all that taxing graphically.

JD, what's your budget, new or second hand? I reckon about 500 quid will get you a good new build, about 2-300 for a second hand build.

40fps sounds like it. I'll pull a card out later and report back.

To be honest I've seen whole gaming PCs go on eBay for £500 including, monitor, gaming mice and keyboard and the specs aren't far behind mine.

Sounds to me like an excuse to finally get an Xbox one instead. Being as any build of this quality would be used pretty much exclusively for that game, I might as well get something cheaper :)

Recommended gpu is a 600 series gtx, I got my gtx660 for 65 quid, hardly 200 :P

Also the minimum cpu is a core2quad, hardly a powerful processor by today's standards, I very this will run quite happily on a i5 2400 which is far from expensive. As an occasional player asking for a budget build its a bit daft to tell him to go buy a 3770 and a gtx960 :)

Go back to your i3 tight arse. :P

I just went off the recommended shit and assumed that JD would rather buy his kit new. Never heard of the game before so not up to speed with it.

Mines a i5 4670k but I do have 2 GTX 660 SC in SLI. I only game in 1920x1080 though, in Project Cars I have most settings on Ultra or one under. FPS stays 60 and only dips down to the 40s when there's lots of cars in front of me, like 10+.

Going off that, I'd say a GTX960 4gb would do well in this game then?

But in general the rule of thumb for SLI is that adding a second card you get about 50% more performance. But that really depends on your other specs and how well the game is optimised for SLI.

The main point of SLI is to look cool though. :P

Sounds to me like an excuse to finally get an Xbox one instead. Being as any build of this quality would be used pretty much exclusively for that game, I might as well get something cheaper :)

I'd go for this personally. If I wasn't already struggling to do work stuff on my old system I wouldn't have bought a new one just for gaming. With a console you just plug it in and go right? Depends if you prefer using a keyboard/mouse though?

Go back to your i3 tight arse. :P

Pfft, bet it would play project cars pretty well :P

Seems quite rare for an i7 to be specified as recommended, the game must be very well threaded to require a hyperthreading quad core.

Interesting, I suppose the next step would be for the game to take into consideration the boarders of the monitors so it spaces out correctly.

Interesting, I suppose the next step would be for the game to take into consideration the boarders of the monitors so it spaces out correctly.

I think the next step would be to make them match up colour wise, but maybe that's just me ;)

• Like 2

I could never game across 2 or more monitors, the monitor bezels bug the hell out of me just looking at them. For work things then yeah multiple monitors help if you want to separate windows and what not. I'd rather spend the money of 3 monitors and buy one single ultra wide monitor.

but then you'd be missing parts of the picture?

Yeah I guess so. But I think I'd prefer it that way. Plus you'd get extra at the very ends too.

I think the next step would be to make them match up colour wise, but maybe that's just me ;)

I think he has all 3 of the same monitor so they should be identical.