Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Tried to find the tech support page and couldnt....

My computer is being quite a odd nugget at the moment. Pretty much last year I got built up a big PC so I could do video editing/game on it. Video editing on it is sweet as but for gaming is being a tit. My spec is

Intel i7-4770 3.4GHz

DDR 3 16Gb RAM

Samsung 120GB SSD / Seagate 1TB HDD

AMD Saphire 7870 256bit 2Gb Graphics card (Overclocked apparently)

The issue is, with this spec being pretty damn good apparently, I cant play old games on ultra without lag. Trying to play Far Cry 2 on medium quality graphics still results in a noticable amount of lag.

The computer was never set up for the running on internet and I am on a campus so I cant run an ethernet cable, some people from a computer shop told me to update all my drivers. Ive recently done that but for some reason it decided to add a mysterious 20Gb of space taken up on my SSD. Seriously have no idea what is up but I want to sort it out before my Warranty expires in a month.

Help?

You aren't rendering videos while trying to play games correct?

If not check your CPU load before you try to play games and see what it is.

Edited by JT!

Tried to find the tech support page and couldnt....

My computer is being quite a odd nugget at the moment. Pretty much last year I got built up a big PC so I could do video editing/game on it. Video editing on it is sweet as but for gaming is being a tit. My spec is

Intel i7-4770 3.4GHz

DDR 3 16Gb RAM

Samsung 120GB SSD / Seagate 1TB HDD

AMD Saphire 7870 256bit 2Gb Graphics card (Overclocked apparently)

The issue is, with this spec being pretty damn good apparently, I cant play old games on ultra without lag. Trying to play Far Cry 2 on medium quality graphics still results in a noticable amount of lag.

The computer was never set up for the running on internet and I am on a campus so I cant run an ethernet cable, some people from a computer shop told me to update all my drivers. Ive recently done that but for some reason it decided to add a mysterious 20Gb of space taken up on my SSD. Seriously have no idea what is up but I want to sort it out before my Warranty expires in a month.

Help?

I'd bet the 20gb of space is just system restore points that were made just by the drivers being updated.

As for the speed thing, how fast is your RAM/chipset? No point having all those superfast components if they can't talk to each other quickly. :P What motherboard have you got?

I'd bet the 20gb of space is just system restore points that were made just by the drivers being updated.

As for the speed thing, how fast is your RAM/chipset? No point having all those superfast components if they can't talk to each other quickly. :P What motherboard have you got?

Is it possible to tell that 20gb to bugger off? My SSD seems to have a load of mystery space on it. The only real big thing on it is a few Adobe products. My games are installed on the HDD even so I have no idea how a 128gb SSD can be so full.... I currently have just shy of 10gb free on it.

I can tell you what my recipt tells you about those things? Im still in the process of learning about all these things. I literally went into the shop and told the guy I wanted a super good computer for video and gaming stuff....

This is all word for word from my recipt thing.

RAM

2x Kingston RAM Module - 8gb - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600MHz

DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 - Non ECC - Unbuffered - CL11 - 240-pin - DIMM

Chipset (I think)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Socket 1150, Intel Z87 CHipset, ATX Form, 4 X DDR3 DIMM, VGA/DVI/HDMI, 6 X SATA3, USB3,

Support AMD CrossFireX

Motherboard

Intel Latest processor Haswell Core i7-4770 3.4GHz 8MB LGA 1150 (B85, H87, Z87 Motherboard Required)

And if any of this is helpful....

COOL MASTER G700 Series 700W 80PLUS BRONZE PSU Single +12V rai, High Efficiency 85% ATX 12V

V2.31, Intelligent Fan Speed Control (Because I didn't want a High school drop out fan)

Full Graphics Card info

Saphire HD7870 GHZ OC EDITION 2G GDDR5 256Bit PCI-E 3.0 Video Card, 28 nm ASIC, 1050MHz / 1250MHz, DirectX 1.1, Dual DVI + HDMI + Display Port, Full Retail Package

For getting space back on the ssd, reduce your page file to a gig unless you know that you're going to burn through all 16gig whilst editing stuff. I recently specced almost identical machines for running solidworks at work and they do just fine without a page file.

Also look at disabling the hibernation file, even if you don't use the feature it still puts aside the disk space to do so. Disabling both of those recovered almost 20 gig of space that couldn't be touched.

For your cpu load, just hit ctrl+alt+del and goto start task manager. CPU useage will be in the bottom. If it's more than 20% when your pc is idle something's wrong.

This may sound silly to some, I have no proof. But the problem exists if you do a Google search. I can't remember which game it was now, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3? Anyway, which ever game it was I installed it on my SSD it had some lag/stutter. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, my specs should handle the game perfectly fine on near or at highest settings.

Anyway, I installed it on my HD instead and there was no lag/stutter. Just slower loading times. Whatever the problem was I have no idea.

This may sound silly to some, I have no proof. But the problem exists if you do a Google search. I can't remember which game it was now, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3? Anyway, which ever game it was I installed it on my SSD it had some lag/stutter. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, my specs should handle the game perfectly fine on near or at highest settings.

Anyway, I installed it on my HD instead and there was no lag/stutter. Just slower loading times. Whatever the problem was I have no idea.

Does your SSd works as it should be at anything else?

Yep. It's my boot drive and only files/programs/games where I want faster access to are on there. Everything else is on the HDDs. Weird eh?

but is it fast enough, does it work as quick as it should be?

the interesting thing is that games does not need quick storage to work (apart from loading).

Maybe games are not optimised to SSD?

No matter how much I love my PC I am thinking about getting a Xbox One.

Nowadays I do not game much, only BF3 occasionally and Forza Horizon on 360

And now games for the Xbox one are beautiful (yeah, I know that 120 FPS Ultra 1080p would be better, but I just do not want to afford that Pc :/) and the controller easy to use and made for gaming, whereas I want my PC to be more as a workstation (no need for ultra powerful video card, but like 3 monitor, loads of ram, 2 HDD (1 for backup) are the plans) and I want to separate gaming from my work

It is fast enough I guess? I see a quicker load times, file transfer, encoding etc.

I built my PC up for gaming primarily but for the last few months I've been on the PS4 more as I have several friends that owns a PS4 and there's a bunch of games we play online a lot.

But GTA V has been annouced for PC so I'll be back on the PC when that's out. Can't wait for the mods to come.

Edited by weirdoku

For getting space back on the ssd, reduce your page file to a gig unless you know that you're going to burn through all 16gig whilst editing stuff. I recently specced almost identical machines for running solidworks at work and they do just fine without a page file.

Also look at disabling the hibernation file, even if you don't use the feature it still puts aside the disk space to do so. Disabling both of those recovered almost 20 gig of space that couldn't be touched.

Sorry man, I am a complete chump when it comes to computer tech. Could you enlighten me on how to complete such a task?

For your cpu load, just hit ctrl+alt+del and goto start task manager. CPU useage will be in the bottom. If it's more than 20% when your pc is idle something's wrong.

Okay, it sits at around 12-15% when using an internet browser.

I've been talking to a lot of different people about this, I've been told to update drivers and all sorts, which I have but it didnt make a difference. The last two people I have asked have both told me that its simply because a game as old as that is not capable of running full 1080 because it just isnt designed to do so. One said its like putting on an old crappy pair of shoes and trying to run a marathon, they wont hold up. Seems to make a lot of sense to me......?

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. But I guess you could try downloading a free demo of a modern game and seeing if that works well?

This may be a stupid question but you do have your monitor(s) plugged into the grahics card? Right and not the motherboard?

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. But I guess you could try downloading a free demo of a modern game and seeing if that works well?

This may be a stupid question but you do have your monitor(s) plugged into the grahics card? Right and not the motherboard?

Uuuuuuuh, I have the HDMI coming out of the back of the monitor into an HDMI in the back of the tower? Next to a DVI and VGA port.

Well your motherboard is likely to have a HDMI, DVI and VGA port. Your Graphics care is also likely to have all 3. You can tell your graphics card ports from the motherboard ports easily, if you have a bunch of USB ports around that's the motherboard.

A picture of the back of your pc would clear this up.

Well your motherboard is likely to have a HDMI, DVI and VGA port. Your Graphics care is also likely to have all 3. You can tell your graphics card ports from the motherboard ports easily, if you have a bunch of USB ports around that's the motherboard.

A picture of the back of your pc would clear this up.

Pretty sure its in the motherboard

2zr2s75.jpg

Oh wow. You aren't even using your graphics card. You're using the motherboard's integrated graphics. Turn off your pc. Then do this...

post-4715-0-16068700-1402547808_thumb.jp

And then turn it back on.

That will solve your problem 100%.

Edited by JT!
  • Like 1

Oh wow. You aren't even using your graphics card. You're using the motherboard's integrated graphics. Turn off your pc. Then do this...

attachicon.gifnogpu.jpg

And then turn it back on.

That will solve your problem 100%.

Am I that dumb?..... Hahaha.

I hope it is as simple of a fix as this! Trying now

Yeah you aren't actually using your graphics card. It's sat there doing nothing.

So basically you're using the motherboards graphics which are generally good enough for some facebook games but that's about it. Once you get HDMI cable into your actual graphics card you will not have any more issues.

Dude can we please be best friends? Haha. Thank you so much, played it on ultra right off the bat, no lag what so ever!

Only problem I currently see is that my monitor is bigger than 1080 and I have a one inch black border around my screen and its pretty contrasty