Disc Brakes

AnthonyNuttall

I fail to see a connection?... Frame design has come along a lot , most good frames are fine to run without booster now or come with one build in. By "bad accidents " you mean?

well the worst one was a 30 foot fall when my mates 33's slipped it was lucky he was wearing his helmet he spent 4 days in hospital with a concushion,

had an other mate brake his leg and ribs falling off a post box, and i dislocated my knee cap when dropping off the mat platform in manchester,

and there are some miner othrs, but they where all due to HS33's slipping and failing,

The other thing that annoys me with rear discs is pad "wobble" inside the caliper. I was always checking the disc rotor bolts to see if they were loose!

If you fancy a 26" disc frame, Simtra have some good options. Or order a Marino or Jaff frame with a disc mount on?

And when deciding what disc to get, get a Shimano Saint, anything else is pointless.

• Like 1

well the worst one was a 30 foot fall when my mates 33's slipped it was lucky he was wearing his helmet he spent 4 days in hospital with a concushion,

had an other mate brake his leg and ribs falling off a post box, and i dislocated my knee cap when dropping off the mat platform in manchester,

and there are some miner othrs, but they where all due to HS33's slipping and failing,

I meant what is the connection between boosters and crushed rims?

i'm on my 3rd hope and it's the first time i've been genuinely pleased with one, although the first two were thoroughly second hand =/ never felt a bad BB7 yet though.

Don't say that, I'm just swapping my bb7 (works brilliant) for a hope mono! Hoping it works even better! (after reading previous comments it shouldn't be bad as it was previously mentioned that they work well on mods ;)

your guna see alot of HS33s fail in trials, cause more or less everyone uses them your guna see them fail eventually. out of interest what is your current set up?

iv got a stok onza cleaner, rear hs33 and front mech disc, to be honest the 33 is good on this, theres no frame flex, i just cant trust it,

what pads, smooth rim, or a grind? i didn't think it was giving you the power you needed? hs33s are pants without some decent trials specific pads and some care and attention to detail in their set up...

HS33s can perform horribly or incredibly like night and day depending on how you prepare and set them up.

Fresh grind, some good brake pads (Heatsink Yellow, Coust, Trialtech are relatively cheap good plastic backed pads), a 4-bolt booster and an air-free hose all in combination can totally transform your brake overnight (or in just 5 minutes!)

• Like 1

Neither brake is better than the other at all really.

Its been proven that they each can work as well as each other . Ive ridden discs on my mod, and maguras. On a mod, I found my discs much nicer and reliable than a mag, while I found mag on a stock offered the same sort of performance as a disc on a mod. Theres a reason not many stock frames have disc tabs. Its not popular, it generally doesnt work as well, and its hard to produce a tab that wont crack/tear from the added leverage that a 26" wheel inducues. If its not common, frame companies wont go to the expense of producing a disc tab and increasing the manufacturing time/ cost and overall rrp.

• Like 1

You better tell that to TRA.

Tra's bike feels amazing. Avid code brake with Clarks brakepads, on a old type 200mm shimano rotor. ( XT or something)

Holds good, good bite and some modulation.. More than a equal good hs33 atleast.

Wouldn't use it on a normal trials bike though, spoke is waay to flexy. Would annoy the shit out of me when sidehopping or doing some precision stuff.

Had 200mm bb7 some years ago. Hit the disc one while i bailed on some natty rocks. Did never hit it on street, eventough i sidehop to the right

Edited by Skorp