Project Uber Cheap

isitafox

I just can't help myself, owning one bike just isn't enough so I'm building up a bargain ride.

Picked up a super cheap cracked frame the other day which is something I've wanted for a while. It's definitely not to everyones taste though the price brand new put a lot of people off.

My stripped and repaired Speedrace Solo frame, not sure if I'll leave it silver or rattle can it yet but this is my starting point. Planning to get this up and running for under £200 including the cost of the frame, wish me luck!

post-24247-0-18601400-1345819255_thumb.j

post-24247-0-62153500-1345819278_thumb.j

I managed to get my old ozonys going for 230. I like the frame!

Dave I have some Try-All Tyres sat here doing nothing. Theyre almost brand new, and as Im on a 24", its highly unlikely I'll use them again.

Drop me a message on facebook if your interested (Y) Also have wheels. But they'l need relacing, and the rear has a small flat spot. Inc. Sprocket.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

• 1 month later...

Update, been picking up parts here and there so I have a new picture. The wheels (which I built myself ^_^) are Onza sealed disc hubs with an Echo Urban front rim and Zhi rear both with some Stikys (though the front is bald!), headset is a First Blog Z and stem is a forged Onza jobby.

The forks are gonna be replaced by some silver Echo SL's as due to a major miscalculation by me (forgot about the headset) the steerer is miles too short.

post-24247-0-04394800-1349371968_thumb.j

Other parts I have ready to go on are a Trialtech carbon booster, standard Magura clamps, stripped 05 Magura with Trialtech splitter, Czar lever and metal tpa, Trialtech 170 cranks rawed silver with a matching silver Trialtech halfring and Echo SL FFW.

I plan to ride the comp at Shipley on it next weekend so will be borrowing the BB, Trialtech high rise bars and front Echo/Shimano disc brake to do so. All being well if it rides well I'll get it finished off and use it for the comp season next year, unless I sell it and build something else.........

• Like 1

Weren't goin past, was sat there for 2½ hours!

how much you spent on it so far ?

Frame, forks, wheels, tyres, cranks, ffw, bash, rear brake, stem and headset so far cost me £240.99. It could be a lot less (well under £200) if I hadn't splashed out on 'luxuries' like the hose splitter, decent lever blade, booster, decent ffw and rear tyre but whilst being a budget build I want it half decent.

Nice one mate, would be a big help!

As for the colour I'm tempted to do something to keep it in line with the original uci colour scheme.

In no rush though as it needs to sit for a month or so for the weld to reharden.

I have an onza unsealed front wheel, it needs an axle and bearings, but its in pretty good nic, it's yours for the price of postage

Edit: My bad you have one.

Edited by bradjohnson

Few more bits on and it's almost finished.

Stole the BB from my Inspired (cheap Onza one) which is almost knackered but will do the job for now and borrowed the Echo platforms, Trialtech high rise bars and my front brake though I'm currently using it with the original Echo rotor. Didn't fancy using my 180 hope disc with the SL's so I may get a 160 to replace it with at some point but it's not desperate. Just need to sort the rear brake out and I'll be away!

post-24247-0-82367800-1349536149_thumb.j

post-24247-0-33796200-1349536186_thumb.j

post-24247-0-66575600-1349536173_thumb.j

Due to the joyous quality of Chinese frames the snailcam adjuster is a no-no, rather bad magura mount locations (which I had read about) meant I had to rob the pre stretched chain off my 4play and fit the rear wheel without snailcams to get it forward enough in the dropouts.

post-24247-0-71721800-1349536161_thumb.j

Just awaiting the arrival of a barbed fitting then I can get the rear brake made up and fitted. One thing I particularly like about this frame is the location of a hose clip under the top tube so with the use of my Trialtech hose splitter, standard maggie clamps and Trialtech Sport pads (which I need to buy) my rear brake will be something along the lines of this as seen on Stan Shaws SL.

post-24247-0-83566600-1349536201_thumb.j

Had a quick spin on it just up and down and must admit I love the geo, not too short which is what I was after though life on a street bike means I cannot stand having such a long stem over the front wheel and will find it a struggle to get used to!