Keeping Fish.

Simpson

Right I've got a job now and I want fish! Living in a tiny little flat atm so just going to get a basic tank which I can start in, maybe a couple of goldfish or tropical fish? Seen this awesome fish tank table but obv. got to wait 4 months until we move into a bigger place before I can get one of those! (Though the missis says I can't have one, but she has no style)

Looking at buying this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Nano-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Tropical-Coldwater-20-Ltr-Bright-Colours-HR300-B-/180747901009?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a156a1851#ht_1685wt_1186 with a bulb, because from what I've read goldfish can grow huge, but you can get some tropical fish which are ment to stay fairly small? I need to do a lot more reading but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Any advise / Tips?

20ltrs is no where near big enough for a goldfish dude. Due to the amount of waste they produce you want 120+ ltrs to keep goldfish properly, the filters couldn't keep up with the waste in the amount of water.

That'd be a good size for a small tropical tank thou, schoal of tetra, few shrimp etc.

217937_10152088137085424_35813051_n.jpg

My set-up, sumped 600+ litres, around 50 fish etc etc. Any questions I'll try my best.

Try and get a 100ish litre set-up to start with and also get an external canister type filter, they're easier to live with and much easier to clean than the in-tank types, I happen to have a Eheim (the best) filter spare (forsale) as I don't need it anymore if you're interested.

To start with, get a tank, get a substrate in there and fill it up, get it running and cycled for around 3-4 weeks and you shouldn't have to many issues with tropicals.

*That picture is hideous, taken from my phone. I've just added 2 new lights so I should be able top get better ones from the camera now.

Edited by Boumsong

That'd be a good size for a small tropical tank thou, schoal of tetra, few shrimp etc.

Yea awesome that's what I had thought!

I don't get fish. They seems to need waaay more maintenance than the actually pleasure you get from them. Get a dog instead. If not, a dogfish at least.

Me and my missus both have jobs........ IMO fish are pretty much the only animals that you can take care of with a job short of something shit like a hamster.

Try and get a 100ish litre set-up to start with and also get an external canister type filter, they're easier to live with and much easier to clean than the in-tank types

Yea dude 100 litre is a no go, I really have no idea how big that is, but the thought of putting 50 bottles of coke into my living room would NOT fit. Im lucky to keep a couple of cases of Stella.

I know nothing but I was intrigued by how big a 100ltr tank is, seems like this is pretty typical and not as massive as you'd think if you're thinking of Coke bottles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Ltr-Fish-Tank-with-Accessories-inc-Heater-Lamp-Water-Air-Pumps-/230846240448?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35bf8216c0#ht_500wt_1413

Yea, but 100cm x 30cm x 50cm doesn't sound anywhere near as big. Get the tape measure out! Coke bottles aren't 50cm high so that's where all those extra litres are, the area floor wise isn't all that bad that way...

Basically what I'm saying is the 20ltr one looks pathetic :P