Bike Diet.

williams

^ doyou actually beleive that? (@ liam n) Tie a 2kg weight to your frame and go for a ride...

Saving half a kilo wont improve your technique, but it will damn sure make it easier to get right.

If weight didnt mater then why would companies make lighter parts? Why get carbon bars and superlight pedals when you could bang on cast iron forks and 3kgs worth of tyres?

Duh

But saving like 200g ... Thats doing literally nothing i agree, it has to be a sizeable weight saved.

Me? Or Liam haha

Duh, says @Liam n. Im a nob hahaha

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Jesus!! I've never said that I was going to drill my frame! Im NOT going to. I asked for a cheap way to trim the bikes weight down because I know the difference of a light and a heavy bike. And a light makes everything easier.

The only mod I might be doing is to cut of knobbs on my tyres. Otherwise buy new parts.

And Yeah totally agreing in the 3 comments above me.

Didn't wan't this to end up like a big discussion, just wan't to CHEAP SAVE SOME WEIGHT OF MY BIKE. Made that caps so it's obvius now.

^ doyou actually beleive that? (@ liam n) Tie a 2kg weight to your frame and go for a ride...

Saving half a kilo wont improve your technique, but it will damn sure make it easier to get right.

If weight didnt mater then why would companies make lighter parts? Why get carbon bars and superlight pedals when you could bang on cast iron forks and 3kgs worth of tyres?

Duh

But saving like 200g ... Thats doing literally nothing i agree, it has to be a sizeable weight saved.

he's not talking about extremes here his bikes going to weigh around 10 kg i reckon. he's going to make a saving of 500g tops. That will make no difference. and until your up to a suitable level of riding there's no need to start changing parts. it's not like he's riding an Old Czar or something that weighs 12kg.

if you're going to start cutting 20grams off your tyres or saving 100 g on new cranks or buying a pair of carbon bars, fisrt buy some pixie boots and lycra, and maybe wear a pair of shorts over the lycra trousers at a push (excess weight n'all) or go on a diet.

but if you want to go for it, get carbon bars, lightest forks, echo SL cranks (maybe Zhi drilled one), onza pro diamond rims back and front, take up dual mag. monty pro race tyres front and rear.

Its Trials Forum though, nothings ever THAT straight forward ;)

You ask a question on a forum to get feedback from a range of people, a discussion is need to come to a better conclusion other wise you'd always have a bias/one sided answer?

Edited by liam n

Cutting off nobbles wont realy do anything to be honest. I do it cos i think it grips easier on corners of walls etc, gives something for the wall to sit in. But whether thats right or its a psychologicalthing im not sure. Butni like it. Youll only save 100g. But it may be worth it.

Only other option is buy new bits.

to be honest i dont think there is a cheap option when it comes to trials. Unless you ram raid tartys. But then you need to buy gloves and balaclavas. And tools to steal a get away car.. Ive gone on a tangent again..

• Like 1

Its Trials Forum though, nothings ever THAT straight forward ;)

You ask a question on a forum to get feedback from a range of people, a discussion is need to come to a better conclusion other wise you'd always have a bias/one sided answer?

Can you not tell this was a joke? Faackin 'ell boi.

I know how a forum works :L

• Like 1

I think all the ideas/ possible methods have been suggested haha.

Cutting the nobbles off the tyres is a tiny difference, but everything adds up.

Take Dan Cox (Dann2707). He made very small changes to his comp, lighter headset, cut down tread, lighter front tyre, drilled rim sidewalls, rawed frame (that was asthetics more than anything), opened up the headtube, removed his bash mounts, singlwalled his rear rim, lighter tubes.... hardly massive amounts of money, and just little bits shaved off here and there brought his bike down to 8.2 or something close. His riding seemed to rapidly improve following the changes.

If you can do it on the cheap, why not!

• Like 2

my advice would be to start big. so get the tyres, and general light parts such as frame and forks etc. but dont forget the little things. bits like pedals and headsets can save you alot.

got this headset at the moment link saved alot of weight from my pig headset. i also run revell pedals. like 600g for the pair. could easily be swapped for some 300g pedals

remember every little helps and it doesnt all have to be done at once

Can you not tell this was a joke? Faackin 'ell boi.

I know how a forum works :L

No, as it wasn't funny, i cannot tell whether you're joking.

I'm glad you know how it works, most seem not to.

I think all the ideas/ possible methods have been suggested haha.

Cutting the nobbles off the tyres is a tiny difference, but everything adds up.

Take Dan Cox (Dann2707). He made very small changes to his comp, lighter headset, cut down tread, lighter front tyre, drilled rim sidewalls, rawed frame (that was asthetics more than anything), opened up the headtube, removed his bash mounts, singlwalled his rear rim, lighter tubes.... hardly massive amounts of money, and just little bits shaved off here and there brought his bike down to 8.2 or something close. His riding seemed to rapidly improve following the changes.

If you can do it on the cheap, why not!

Dan, is definitely just pro. it's probably just the placebo effect where you believe it makes a difference, in which case you (meaning the person who started the topic) should convince yourself that skittles are performance enhancing drugs and can make you ride with a kg heavier bike.

Edited by liam n

he's not talking about extremes here his bikes going to weigh around 10 kg i reckon. he's going to make a saving of 500g tops. That will make no difference. and until your up to a suitable level of riding there's no need to start changing parts. it's not like he's riding an Old Czar or something that weighs 12kg.

if you're going to start cutting 20grams off your tyres or saving 100 g on new cranks or buying a pair of carbon bars, fisrt buy some pixie boots and lycra, and maybe wear a pair of shorts over the lycra trousers at a push (excess weight n'all) or go on a diet.

I'd question this. I think 500grams is quite alot, especially in trials. Even if lightening the bike causes a placebo effect, who cares? It'll cause you to ride better, weather or not its your brain tricking you, or you actually having a lighter bike.

William, i just recently lightened by bike by about 500grams, and this is what i did:

Different BB : 148.5 grams saved

cut the steer tube : 24.7 Grams

cut every other knobble off : 43.2 grams

Tock of chain stay protector : 13.6 grams

changed the front wheel : approx 200/300 grams

The bottom bracket i saved a decent amount, i dont have a picture of that though. total maybe comming up to 150ish grams? i did my front rim too thats included in that weight.

Link? i couldn't find it.

That would be my thread... theres been a fair bit more done since i last updated that thread link is here

How good are you exactly? I wouldn't bother shaving weight unless you're struggling to get 8ft or so gaps, over 45" sidehops/pedal ups/taps, because everything up to those measurements (and even bigger) can be done on a heavy bike no problems. Just put on a bit of arm muscle and take a shit before you ride and you'll be right as rain.

Are the last one supposed to be funny...?

jesus if I wan't to light up my bike it's my decision isn't it? If I think it improve my riding, then fine it's my "problem" then wheter it does it or not.

Ignore them, they've got nothing better to do. to be honest, I lightened my bike cause it rains in Cornwall 8 days of the week. >_<

• Like 1

Cheers Sam! :)

Yeah it deffo did help me out, the bike felt so much more evened out and generally easier to throw about which made me ride a bit better I reckon.

And it annoys me when people say don't do that it will only save you so much. It all adds up, the weight saving. Do itttt.

• Like 1

I'd say go all the way with it though if your going to do it. Does anybody know what you would save rawing the frame?

Only a small amount.

Having it anodized following that would lighten it further, but no more than a few grams.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Are the last one supposed to be funny...?

jesus if I wan't to light up my bike it's my decision isn't it? If I think it improve my riding, then fine it's my "problem" then wheter it does it or not.

When asking a question on a forum expect controversial, differing opinions and answers. don't take people on the internet to seriously...

if your going to save weight i vote for saving as much as possible, like 2 or 3 kg by buying new parts and it might actually make a difference, but rawing frames and drilling holes, is silly.

• Like 2