Up To Fronts

rocky111

Hi was just wondering if you really need a powerful brake for up to fronts, or is it just mostly technique as in, get down low and then throw your weight forward more getting knees past your stem?

any tips would be most appreciated.

Edited by rocky111

managed to almost get this dialled this evening did it 10/15 attempts or so.

I was trying to take off to far back and involve a bit to much technique and kick, I found you sort of ride towards the object like you were going to back wheel but a bit slower and jam on your front brake and push your front wheel into the corner of the object and lean all the way forward.

EDIT: but to answer your question, i find a powerful front brake is essential.!

Edited by liam n

I'm kinda useless at them, but I found making like a rainbow shape with your front wheel when hopping up (rather than a linear movement) realllllly helps the brake lock as your bike is above the wheel more. And in general makes you get higher too.

yeah I know what you mean about the rainbow movement. was just wondering to myself as I'v seen videos where people do a wheel swap onto rails, surely you just couldn't do that without a really good brake. Just won a Hope tech trial brake off ebay should hopefully do the trick, then I won't have the excuse to blame my brake :P.

• Like 1

I'm kinda useless at them, but I found making like a rainbow shape with your front wheel when hopping up (rather than a linear movement) realllllly helps the brake lock as your bike is above the wheel more. And in general makes you get higher too.

you taking the piss? I've seen you do loads of up to fronts and they look pretty good to me. with I could be as useless as you at them :)

yeah I know what you mean about the rainbow movement. was just wondering to myself as I'v seen videos where people do a wheel swap onto rails, surely you just couldn't do that without a really good brake. Just won a Hope tech trial brake off ebay should hopefully do the trick, then I won't have the excuse to blame my brake :P.

Was it £60?

Ive got decent at these (sounds so big headed) and a nice calm approach helps. As said, dont hop forward taking off far back, get close and force the front wheel onto the lip of said object. It acts as a pivot point, allowing the front wheel to pivot onto the top surface, with weight over the front too.

The speed of the aproach depends on the height of the object. I tend to take a slow aproach, and in the final crank rotation and a half (leading with my good foot to use my left to initialise the lift after a half crank) to give a final boost and spring upwards.

Any tips on how to keep it on rear?

Practice your wheelswaps! ;)

It is all about being able to wheelswap well if the object is reasonably narrow, or have a quality rear brake to hold you on the lip if you dont swap all the way through. Just practice swapping on flat, aiming to get your rear wheel where your front was.

yeah £61

Haha, that was my friend euans, mental. He was annoyed it sold for so little :P

Practice your wheelswaps! ;)

It is all about being able to wheelswap well if the object is reasonably narrow, or have a quality rear brake to hold you on the lip if you dont swap all the way through. Just practice swapping on flat, aiming to get your rear wheel where your front was.

I can do them but I just can't pedal kick out of the, :( i'm so far over the back and I just have to watch the front slowly droop down and hit the floor.

I can do them but I just can't pedal kick out of the, :( i'm so far over the back and I just have to watch the front slowly droop down and hit the floor.

Too far back? Like the bikes too vertical after the swap? Get your brake on earlier to stop the front rising so much, or slow the wheelswap to a more controllable rate.

Haha, that was my friend euans, mental. He was annoyed it sold for so little :P

haha and I was happy it went so cheap, although I'm gunna have to cut the hose down and re bleed it :/ for use on front, not looking forward to that.

The thing with the rainbow shape, is that when you go even higher, you have to hop higher.

Its effectively a big, nose down bunnyhop. A large bunnyhop, or rainbow, would be noticably harder to do above a certain height Id imagine.

Rolling up and going up vertically and then forcing the front wheel onto the object will allow you to go higher, easier. :)

Its what Ive found anyway.

The thing with the rainbow shape, is that when you go even higher, you have to hop higher.

Its effectively a big, nose down bunnyhop. A large bunnyhop, or rainbow, would be noticably harder to do above a certain height Id imagine.

Rolling up and going up vertically and then forcing the front wheel onto the object will allow you to go higher, easier. :)

Spot on (Y)

It depends on the object height.

The problem the original poster is having is he's just learning them, so the object is small.

If he used your technique, he'd be coming at the wall almost horizontal, which is why he asked the question about his front brake. Because he's hitting it horizontally, his brake just rolls forward because of his body position.

The rainbow thing Dan is talking about means your weight is automatically more over the front, the force is downward into the object not horizontally across it, and your brake has a much better chance.

Now on larger stuff, over say 40" you're right, it'd be harder to do that rainbow technique, and your technique works because of where your weight is.

I generally either tap to front or use the rainbow thing depending on how high / what the object is.

It depends on the object height.

The problem the original poster is having is he's just learning them, so the object is small.

If he used your technique, he'd be coming at the wall almost horizontal, which is why he asked the question about his front brake. Because he's hitting it horizontally, his brake just rolls forward because of his body position.

The rainbow thing Dan is talking about means your weight is automatically more over the front, the force is downward into the object not horizontally across it, and your brake has a much better chance.

Now on larger stuff, over say 40" you're right, it'd be harder to do that rainbow technique, and your technique works because of where your weight is.

I generally either tap to front or use the rainbow thing depending on how high / what the object is.

Which is why I mentioned it would be harder above a cetain height :P

Was just pointing it out to Dan really :)

You cant help but do the "rainbow" shape on low objects really, but yes, it does help with initaily getting weight over the front wheel.

Yeh, I was talking around 40" or so. I cant do the rainbow shape above 42", to get 51" I have to do the vertical thang, which is harder get to grips with, but sooooo sweet when you get it!

Its all progression ey.

Edited by Echo Lite 09