Big Bettys?

SamKidney

I have no doubt this is ignorant but is it a massive job for them to do one

Keep existing compositions and tread patterns and widths n beads just make it in 24??

Im not too sure. Can 24" tyres be "assembled" as it were on the same machines as the 26" with some adjustment?

I'd think so. All they do is shorten the bead a little and use a wee bit less rubber.

Not massively clued up on how tyres are made.

I was looking at that.

In the end i went for a moto digger, they are light and have a soft sidewall, if need be the stanley blade will edit the tread.

I had a moto digger on my inspired for a while and was good grip, but punctured really easily as the sidewalls are so thin, think i was running 30psi at the time.

Im not too sure. Can 24" tyres be "assembled" as it were on the same machines as the 26" with some adjustment?

I'd think so. All they do is shorten the bead a little and use a wee bit less rubber.

Not massively clued up on how tyres are made.

Not 100% sure this is how they are all made but here:

• Like 1

That sounds about right. Most times when companies say shit like "Super soft grippy compound" it'll just be some generic tat. Unless it's one of the 'good' tyre companies, it's fairly meaningless.

Yeah they feel really plastic, really hard compound that's lethal on concrete/rails.They're probably ok-ish on dirt but I'd never touch one again for urban.

I once had a Schwalbe space 2.35 folding tyre "puncture protection" (lighter than the basic version) it was a fairly soft compound & really bouncy, big tall profile too, I quite liked it, can't remember ever getting a puncture either.

I'd say they're worth a go for trials especially if you get them cheap.

I'm pretty stuck for tyres, I don't get along with semi slicks, but I don't want a tractor tyre either, I'd like some of the Danny Mac Continentals.

I use moto diggers, they're soft, grippy, feel good, but they're crap with punctures and wear out fast.

Edited by LEON

There's also Tioga factory DH.

Not everyone's cup of tea but for £7.99 I had to try it.

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=86959

Haven't ridden it properly yet but it's much thicker than a moto digger, wider too, more drag on concrete obviously, but it's not much heavier either.

They're definitely better on punctures than DMR too.

post-1701-0-60695000-1349359387_thumb.jp

post-1701-0-01940200-1349359385_thumb.jp

post-1701-0-16899400-1349359390_thumb.jp

Somebody email tryall a link to all the tyre threads!!!!!

Me and a mate of mine have got in touch with Try-All via Facebook regarding the 24" Sticky....

Their response was - "We are thinking very seriously about these".

Its a possibility!

Have posted this in a 24" tyre thread before but this is my opinion on the current options out there that I have used:

Maxxis High Roller 24x2.5 60a

Nice tyres providing you only ride street, bit heavy but good punture protection. Ride any proper natural like of camber rocks / logs then the 60a compound really is to hard and the grip really isn't there.

Maxxis Swampthing 24x2.5 42a

In my opinion this is currently the best tyres for 24" proper trials, just a little heavy but worth the weight penalty. Great tyre for natural with the 42a compound offering good grip and wear rate. Good punture protection bettered only by the High Roller. If you value grip over weight this is the tyre to get in my opinion.

Schwalbe Big Betty

Really didn't rate this tyre and can't understand why many people rate this. The compound is somewhere between to two Maxxis tyres and grips good for street and average for natural in the dry. The tyres plus point for many people is the low weight, the punture protection isn't great and I found with the light side walls you needed to run a higher pressure to reduce the tyre roll. Main issue then though is it looses grips. I managed to rip 3-4 knobs of tread of this tyre as well, wear rate is slightly better than the Maxxis Swampthing. If your a light rider who mainly rides street and your pretty smooth then maybe give it a try?

Schwalbe Fat Albert

Very similar to the Big Betty, although seems to have slightly stiffer sidewalls and slightly better punture protection. Still not as good as either Maxxis in terms of sidewall stiffness and punture protection though. Grip on street is good and on natural is fairly good but not as good as the Maxxis Swampthing on the off camber stuff or wet weather stuff. Low weight is a good point but the high price isn't.

Hopefully it won't be too long till TryAll or Continental make a tyre for 24" trials, a 24" version of the Continental De Kaiser or Try-All sticky would be perfect.

There's also Tioga factory DH.

Not everyone's cup of tea but for £7.99 I had to try it.

Haven't ridden it properly yet but it's much thicker than a moto digger, wider too, more drag on concrete obviously, but it's not much heavier either.

They're definitely better on punctures than DMR too.

i just bought one because it was 7.99 and im a cheap SHHLAAAG,

how are you finding it? im not too arsed if its really shit cos it was only 8 quid. but just wondering if i will be pleasantly suprised, :D

Yeah me too, I wasn't interested when they were £20 lol.

I grew up on factory DH lol, but back then the 26" had a F and R specific, the rear had the blocks spaced closer together, I really liked the tyre, it was bigger than 2.3 even on a skinny rim, but they were out of fashion before we had wide rims, I like them.

These 24" ones aren't F & R specific so it's a compromised mix, wider spacing than an old rear, more like a front. I only had a quick roll around the road today, they're better once you wear off the top layer & they stop screeching.

Puncture & stability wise they're pretty rigid, I don't think you'll be disappoited, they're not Maxxis dual ply solid, but they're not Dmr flimsy either.

Might be a bit too knobbly but for £8 I don't care, I'll try and have a proper ride this weekend.

Edited by LEON

I'm running a rear 2.5 Maxxis Highroller DH with a Maxxis DH tube and a DMR Moto Digger on the front with a Kenda unboxed , I've had very little problems with either tyre and both are very grippy , rode them in near torrential rain the other week and they never slipped once on some pretty sketchy lines that my tryalls haven't gripped on. I've noticed than on the very edge of the Highroller tyre is bit slippy unless you get a lot of material on but I'm sure a stanley knife would fix that.

I don't really find the weight noticeable but as I used kinetics before them that might be why , puncture resistance seems very good but then I am running a tube that's about 300g grams more than a standard tube.

I had a 2.7 high roller in 42a compound on the back of my inspired. super grippy. never punctured, never rolled off my rim. had a shwalbe space, couldn't get it to stay on the rim. best 24 tyre ever, is a 2.6 nokian gazzalodi junior. bit on the heavy side though