24" Should I Grind The Rim?

Ash-Kennard

had my marino a fair while now, got an echo tr brake on the rear, 2 bolt booster, heatsink yellows with metal backings on a smooth inspired rim and my brake is basically appalling. i rarely go onto my rear wheel because of it, which means i still havent learnt to manual because i have no confidence with going too far and i barely ride trials on it, just ride into uni and back with no playing at all.

this could be solved very quickly with a grind, but i dont want to be honking away with everything i do, I like the stealthyness, but its too shit to use.

are there anyother options open to me? i dont have disc tabs on the frame, nor the funds for a new disc brake, before someone mentions that.

any helpful replys are welcome,

cheers, ash

If winter wasn't literally on our doorstep i probably would, I haven't used tar for a number of years, but as far as i can remember it was still pretty crap braking, have to get the amounts just right, and on a full black rim that shit will be difficult :(

get a vee?

or a little tar, until the grind is dead you will hate it.

IM NOT MADE OF VEE ADAPTERS haha, but no, ive broken several, cant be dealing with that shit again, but yes your right, that really would sort me out probably

How about some monty spray instead?

Ot Pi's canned jizz? no thanks

But nice one for thinking out of the box xx

Edited by Ash-Kennard

I would try a new bleed and give the pads and rim a good clean. Then maybe try playing with the booster set up, like taking it off or trying a 4-bolt booster if you have one. And obviously make sure the pads are hitting the rim dead square, just a little off makes a huge difference on smooth rims I find.

I am running Heasink yellows on a smooth rim at the moment as I just built the wheel and couldn't find the grinder and it is pretty darn good.

i forgot to mention, i have the metal backings on the yellows, they are sat very close, and square to the rim, repeated fresh bleeding, always with oil in this brake, and i clean the rim with proper degreaser so there is no residue messing it up, i clean the pads too, the sock can juuuuuust squeeze in between the pad and the rim.

I hope it isnt the brake, ive got the same brake on my other bike and it is excellent. this one doesnt leak either, i just dont understand where im going wrong here...