Portable Heating Questions

JD™

As TF can always help with these things...

Basically, my office is now getting super cold again. The windows are from the 70s, single glazed and it's probably colder in here than outside. That was fine for me last year but I'm already getting complaints from the others... There's no heating in this building, so that rules out turning the radiators on. If I plug anything in heaters wise my old man (who gives me the space to use) gets arsey at the amount of electricity being used being as it's billed to him and not me. So I'm looking for the most effective way of providing some heat in here while using the least amount of energy.

Anyone know the pros and cons of oil filled heaters vs fans vs element types?

Build a fire.

Edit; More seriously though, I've got a couple of element-type heaters which claim to use as little as 3p per hour they're on. I'm going to go ahead and assume that firstly, that's running one of the multiple elements and secondly that it's an underestimate, but even so 5p per hour isn't too bad. Can't comment on facts and figures any further than that though I'm afraid.

I have got a meter reading device so works out elecy used at time and a rate when any elecy devices are on

We have the oiled filled ones found pretty dear to run 1.5kw one

Gonna try a halogen ones this year

Our other heaters are storage heaters and charge at night so give out heat slowly during day but but the time 8-9pm its cold before they come on, you would need to wire in fuse box and a switch at heater more hassle for you to fit and phone elecy company for a off peak tarriff

Average day tarriff say 13p per kw

1.5kw heater 10hrs a day around £2 mark 5 days a week

£10 a week £40 per month max

we had a few heaters on low heat all winter during the - weather and below which has been alot last few years( one year was -18) so worked out petty dear for us just to let you know

Edited by weebryan

Well this 1kw one, at 8.3p per kWh and running for 8 hours a day, would cost 66.4p a day at full power. Yet to see whether it would need full power as the office is only about 15m2 so it should be ok I reckon.

Maybe try some of this stuff too http://reviews.wicke...014/reviews.htm i remember having it on our house as a kid to keep the heat in in the first place.

You basically stick it on the inside of your windows (so there is an air gap) the heat it with a hair dryer to remove any wrinkles. Downside is you can't then open any windows but its cheap enough to rip off in summer and redo next winter.

• Like 2