What Would You Do?

Kevinfor

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry if this has been asked before!

So I still havent decided what kind of brake i should get..

I curently have the Echo TR disc with a 180 Echo rotor and it's just not strong enough for my liking!

So what would you do, get a new set of brake pads and see if they help (if anybody has tried this please let me know how it worked, I dont want to wait a week for the pads and then find out they didnt do the trick and have to place another order..)

Or should Iget a better disc brake (I'm thinking saints or hopes) but if you know of anything better please say so! Money is not really a problem..

Or should I just get a front rim brake, I have an Echo TR rim brake on the rear and I like it a lot, but once again if you know of anything better please let me know!

Oh and I prefer to ride TGS. Also if possible, i would really prefer stuff that Tartybikes have in stock, cause I like their service and it's faster to order stuff from tarty than to order them from mainland sweden!

Thanks for reading!

Kevin

Thanks for your reply, hypermobilty!

Anybody else have an oppinion?

Maybe somebody went from disc to rim brake and could share what that was like?

I'm not blessed with having other people riding trials anywhere near so i cant really try different set ups.

Kevin

Thanks for the replys, everybody.

So after talking to my local place I was told their supplier wouldnt get any more saints untill mid February 2013....

That means it is now down to Hope or rim brakes, and it looks like you all prefer Hopes but just to clarify you should know I have a stock and I read rim brakes are more suited for a stock.

If I do go for the Hopes, which one should i get? Whats the difference?

Thanks a lot.

Kevin

Thanks for the replys, everybody.

So after talking to my local place I was told their supplier wouldnt get any more saints untill mid February 2013....

That means it is now down to Hope or rim brakes, and it looks like you all prefer Hopes but just to clarify you should know I have a stock and I read rim brakes are more suited for a stock.

If I do go for the Hopes, which one should i get? Whats the difference?

Thanks a lot.

Kevin

Get a pair of 2011 maguras if you can, everyone says they're bad but they really aren't. Or be a sheep and get 05 maguras.

i run the echo tr discs on my onza zoot street trials bike, i had the problem of the brake not sticking i tried everything coke, cleaning you name it. In the end i roughed up the pads with some emory tape and roughed the disc up and just ridden it yes it was horrible but after a long time of hard braking in the wet and mud the brakes started to respond quite well and now are quite a good brake. I run a HS33 maggie and i would say when the discs bite they have about the same stopping power if not more and i'm able to flow my power alot more with the TR's. I've heard that the echo TR discs take a long time to bed in a lot longer than most discs. Here is a bit from the tartys website actually talking about a situation close to yours.............

Reply from TartyBikes on 10/09/2012

Hi Gavin - Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your Echo brakes. They do tend to take longer to bed in than most other brakes as their rotors are made from a harder material which may explain why they didn't perform at their best. Normal riding seems to not really bed them in particularly well, so we usually recommend pouring a little water over the pads/rotor and pulsing the brake on/off repeatedly. If you repeat this process you'll feel the brake's bite improving, and with it the hold.

If your're after power and performance and would like to stick with a disk brake, I haven't tried any disk brake that matches an avid bb7 with avid sd7 or ultimate lever, linear slick cable and 203 rotor. Alternatively you could try a front vee or magura depending on what mounts you have on your forks.

My front brake set up is shimano acera vee, avid sd7 lever, odyssey linear slic cable and coust pads.

Echo brakes suck. They leak and have are generally bad. Shimano brakes for the win!

no they don't, you just gotta bed em in right or they don't bite. mine has massive bite and hold, and it doesn't leak. don't know why people keep slating them, it's like owt else, you don't maintain it it'll turn to shit.

• Like 1

best hope setup is a trialzone on no9 caliper/ postmount.

you will need to order a brakr mount too it will cost you and extra £13 trust me its worth it for the adjustment you get. because if you rotor rubs the disc it will push the pistons back slightly and effect the feel of the brake

no they don't, you just gotta bed em in right or they don't bite. mine has massive bite and hold, and it doesn't leak. don't know why people keep slating them, it's like owt else, you don't maintain it it'll turn to shit.

The power from them when bedded in is decent, I've ridden one. The problem is that the quality sucks, almost everyone leak after like a couple of months that's why everyone is "slating" them. They do seem to work better while they're wet though..

• Like 1