Winter Riding Gear!

BradJohnson

not ran out of beer dude, just can't be doing with people talking shit about something they have never tried or know nothing about. ok he might not be a cheeky young scallywag, but there's nowt wrong with getting Lycra'd up to do it right. same as playing golf in the daft trousers. or American football with all the pads. tell joe prattley or nick manning they are gay for wearing Lycra and riding a road bike. I know what answer he'd get back straight away

Plus 1 about the Nick Manning comment, that is one guy i wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of, hes a scary bugger.

Ok so today was pretty cold. I know you Slovakian / Russian / Arctic riders get mad cold winters, but you're used to it so whatever.

Anyway like I was saying I was on Dartmoor today and it was 20mph winds, slightly drizzly and about 6 degrees. So what I'd call 'pretty cold'.

So I wore a goretex shell over a jumper over a t-shirt, with jean shorts under Altura waterproof shorts. The jumper was taken off after like 20 mins as I'd warmed up.

And I was fine, no hypothermia and certainly no lycra / skin suits / whatever in sight.

i love my thermal tops, it started with compression underwear to prevent chafing... it's like wearing a hoodie and trackies without the weight or restriction. whats not to like? i wouldn't ever ride in just lycra though, thats wierd for trials. makes a but tonne of sence for roadiers or people racing, where everything counts...

full lycra for the haloween ride?

i love my thermal tops, it started with compression underwear to prevent chafing... it's like wearing a hoodie and trackies without the weight or restriction. whats not to like? i wouldn't ever ride in just lycra though, thats wierd for trials. makes a but tonne of sence for roadiers or people racing, where everything counts...

full lycra for the haloween ride?

neither do I for trials. I wear just Lycra on my road bike, cos its aerodynamic and you DO notice the difference. but on trials bike, it's usually a compression top and my Oakley shorts. my road gear is not just plain Lycra, it's from the shop where I got the bike. Blagged the riding top for free

plus it's unfair to call roadying boring untill you've tried it, i was a huge hater on roadying for a long time, then i nailed a thousand miles in a month and i want a 2 grand racing machine asap...

me too!!!! then I went and bought one to train and help my old man get a bit fitter. it's quality. had it 3 weeks, and my trials riding has already improved through better fitness and energy levels. my steed

826B7302-C0C2-4695-BA85-B76C7F53E3FE-789-00000062BD35FBEA.jpg

and now I want a wiggins rep bike, a £14k pinarello dogma 65.1. I'll be able to afford it in about 50 years

Edited by bing

So I knew nothing about this topic until Chris McClelland put it on Facebook, and I've got a few responses.

not ran out of beer dude, just can't be doing with people talking shit about something they have never tried or know nothing about. ok he might not be a cheeky young scallywag, but there's nowt wrong with getting Lycra'd up to do it right. same as playing golf in the daft trousers. or American football with all the pads. tell joe prattley or nick manning they are gay for wearing Lycra and riding a road bike. I know what answer he'd get back straight away

It's certainly not 'I like how the lycra feels against my skin. Like Dan has said for himself, I decided to get a road bike for fitness, not to maintain but improve. People tell me running and swimming are better than cycling for fitness. I feel like I'm going to collapse after 2 miles of running, and swimming, well I do about a length of a pool rest, do another then i'm done. I do not have the fitness/stamina or leg muscle for running or swimming, so I decided why not just cycle lots of miles. The benefit of a road bike is that you don't need to go anywhere to ride it, your terrain is right on your doorstep. As for the lycra it makes you more aerodynamic and I find prevents me from sweating so much (or at least notice i'm sweating so much), as the lycra seems to keep you cool. It also makes cycling miles on a road bike easier as the wind cannot catch anything, plus you can have some nice padded lycra shorts.

Plus 1 about the Nick Manning comment, that is one guy i wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of, hes a scary bugger.

I'm not sure why Brad, hopefully I've have come across as friendly and approachable rather than the above.

Peta Todd, I know where she lives hahah.

And if you ever ride barrow farm...you might go pst there house..

Joe your such a stalker!

hahahahahahaha made my day that!

Thanks Dave.

Shorts and a tee. Its all you really need you pansy's ;)

Maybe in the summer, but for the winter and those colder days wearing compression clothing is a real benefit. It is tight round your body but stretches everywhere, allowing you to warm up from your activity, warming your body up externally, internally and importantly warming your muscles up. The compression clothing then helps to keep your muscles warm whilst performing your activity thus preventing you from pulling muscles or having any strains.

So you may well feel that we are pansy's, but it is us that are looking after our muscles and maintaining our performance without injury.

Haha it's just a bit of banter mate.

No problem, just couldn't see myself being compared to Arnie, I know my shoulders are big and to be completely honest they are that way because of 12 years of trials riding and nothing else. Unfortunately my torso is the issue which has resulted in the road bike, hopefully by the spring I'll have shed some weight and be some what fitter :)

I find a decent base layer keeps me way warmer than the compression top I got ages ago. I've said it before, but the Heat-tech shit Uniqlo do is really good and usually pretty cheap. I've been wearing the long and short sleeve base layers they do for the past couple of years and there's a noticeable difference. They also look fairly normal which is a bonus. I'm guilty of the long sleeve base layer under a short sleeve T thing, but the bonus with the Heat-tech stuff is that it's not skin-suity, so it just looks like a normal T-shirt. It just happens to be way warmer.

So yeah, jeans, base layer top, T-shirt, hoody/jumper.

Maybe in the summer, but for the winter and those colder days wearing compression clothing is a real benefit. It is tight round your body but stretches everywhere, allowing you to warm up from your activity, warming your body up externally, internally and importantly warming your muscles up. The compression clothing then helps to keep your muscles warm whilst performing your activity thus preventing you from pulling muscles or having any strains.

So you may well feel that we are pansy's, but it is us that are looking after our muscles and maintaining our performance without injury.

Just abit of banter lad. Just I always over heat in the summer. I love winter because I can ride for longer with out sweating like a b***h. Aslong as I keep moving I dont get cold. So I never wear anything more than shorts and tee.

I find a decent base layer keeps me way warmer than the compression top I got ages ago. I've said it before, but the Heat-tech shit Uniqlo do is really good and usually pretty cheap. I've been wearing the long and short sleeve base layers they do for the past couple of years and there's a noticeable difference. They also look fairly normal which is a bonus. I'm guilty of the long sleeve base layer under a short sleeve T thing, but the bonus with the Heat-tech stuff is that it's not skin-suity, so it just looks like a normal T-shirt. It just happens to be way warmer.

So yeah, jeans, base layer top, T-shirt, hoody/jumper.

I'm using Nike Pro Fit, was pretty cheap from Sports Direct, I've got some Under Armour t-shirts which like you say are not tight but effective.