Flangeless Hubs?

Blake

Love these hubs. Just look so damned cool! Seriously contemplated getting one just for the looks when building up my current bike but the price tag got in the way :(

Do they work any better? I guess they're stronger as you can't snap the flange?

Well, the force ends up at the flange via the spoke whether you have a disc brake or not :) And at least with a disc brake the torque is equally (pretty much) spread between all 16 trailing spokes, whereas a harsh landing only transfers into the few spokes opposite the impact.

Yeah I understand that just thought that with the rim or hub being held in place by the brake the spokes and flange would be under more stress when you apply pressure to the pedals. It's hard to explain what's in my mind, I seem to be getting worse at this anyway. Must be old age...

He's got a point :P In fairness though, the last few times I've ridden you've been riding pretty smoothly :)

Tree, Simple and Animal have also been doing straight pull/flangeless hubs for a while. For BMX they're good as you don't have a flange to grind/batter the shit out of, and you snap spokes less as they're not exposed to whatever you're grinding as much. Seems Animal don't do theirs any more though...

From Tree:

front-black.jpg

rear-blue.jpg

...and Simple:

hub_eject_v2_all.jpg