Freewheel's (advice)

Paperclip

I got a Echo sl freewheel about 2 years back now the silver ones that lasted me a year. Since I replaced that I must of had about 5-6 of the black sl ones they just don't seem to be as good (For some reason)

I want something that I can just stick on my bike and not have to worry about having to replace it after a couple of months.

What's the tensile 60 click like against the Echo one?

Tensiles are great once they've been flushed out, I ran a 2nd hand one with at least 2 of the springs knackered for over a year and it never skipped on me once.

You should have seen the state of Flipps when his finally packed in and that thing had some serious abuse!

Tensile 60's are very reliable, hardly have to do anything with them, other than bed them in, I would go for the 96 version purely because of the higher EP.

I have just bought an Echo SL, currently in the post, I hope haha. I hope I don't have the same experience and if the spanner hits the fan I will immediately go for a Tensile 96.

• Like 1

Tensiles are great once they've been flushed out, I ran a 2nd hand one with at least 2 of the springs knackered for over a year and it never skipped on me once.

You should have seen the state of Flipps when his finally packed in and that thing had some serious abuse!

How do you mean Flushed out?

Tensile 60's are very reliable, hardly have to do anything with them, other than bed them in, I would go for the 96 version purely because of the higher EP.

I have just bought an Echo SL, currently in the post, I hope haha. I hope I don't have the same experience and if the spanner hits the fan I will immediately go for a Tensile 96.

I presumed it was my riding I have bedded in all my freewheels correctly and I presumed it was just my riding style but its not just me.

I am not that bothered about the engagement points its not going to improve my riding hopes have 48 engagement points.....

Yeah the Tensiles have some pretty thick grease in them which makes the pawls stick occasionally so they don't engage properly. Just needs flushing out with some GT85 to be on the safe side.

I bought another off here just for the sake of it as a possible spare which now resides on my sons bike and has done for the last year or so, pics of it in here

By flushed out they mean that the grease has been removed. Tensiles come packed with grease so they take longer to bed in but you can take the lockring of and clean it out with a rag and a bit of thin oil.

Cheer's that's sweet I didn't know if he just meant spray it out with a de greaser or just do it by hand.

so the tensile is well up for the job then, Ill give one a try

I've had a tensile 60 for like 9 months, worked great! Snapped 1 pawl, but I just rode it and hoped that the pawl would be destroyed inside the freewheel, which it did. Ran it like that for 3 months. And then I decided to go for a Sl, sooo worth it!

But if you want reliability, go for a chris king hub.

I've had a tensile 60 for like 9 months, worked great! Snapped 1 pawl, but I just rode it and hoped that the pawl would be destroyed inside the freewheel, which it did. Ran it like that for 3 months. And then I decided to go for a Sl, sooo worth it!

But if you want reliability, go for a chris king hub.

Your advice just became invalid as soon as you posted that last sentence

Edited by Seabasss
  • Like 1

I broke my wrist, Elbow and had stitches because Chris kings are shit, I witnessed a rider brake his Jaw and have a head brace on for 2 months because Chris kings are shit and the riders I see near me who still ride them all skip's.

Mixed options are cool but I did ask for freewheel advice, I can't see why a Echo is better if there not reliable

I broke my wrist, Elbow and had stitches because Chris kings are shit, I witnessed a rider brake his Jaw and have a head brace on for 2 months because Chris kings are shit and the riders I see near me who still ride them all skip's.

Mixed options are cool but I did ask for freewheel advice, I can't see why a Echo is better if there not reliable

Where they newer kings by any chance?

Where they newer kings by any chance?

Mine came off a bmx so it was pretty well bedded in a serviced if that's what your leading towards. the guy who broke his Jaw had an iso I think its called? and one of the riders today has a very well looked after classic and that was skipping today..........

Would the inspired one be worth looking at? As the rest of there stuff is bomb proof so I'm guessing it will have undergone some heavy testing.

You would say that about trialtech too but there freewheel is rubbish.

I wouldn't have thought they would have done much testing with it seen as they all use pro2's.

• Like 2

I know some peoples that rides with chris kings, everyone are so happy with their hubs. Two that I have ridden theirs for 10 years without replacing anything. So if I'm honest I do trust them.

Echos are much better because of the higher EP, the quality seems better, lockring located against the crank arm (which tensile hasn't which can make the lockring to unscrew and your freewheel is pretty much dead.)

I had one of the very first when i was learning and it was replaced by an echo sl within a week. Skipped sooo much and i was only following the local riders around and maybe the odd trackstand :P Although i have read that the newer trial tech freewheels have a much higher quality and are relatively reliable.