Trial Zone rotor

cardenas_26trials

Hello everybody,

Well I bought a Trial Zone rear brake (IS mount) about two months ago (installed on a ZOO! lynx) which came with the original Hope trial zone rotor.

It worked really well, had loads of bite and hold, etc. but, once when I did a gap to rear wheel, the rotor bent (I really did several tries to make it straight again or at least usable, which didn´t work out). After that, I had to use a shimano rotor for about a month until I ordered a new Hope one (It was really good actually, but just not the same! and made a lot of weird noises haha).

Thing is, the new hope arrived about 4 days ago off tartybikes (happy times!), I got it installed, nicely centred, everything tight and ready.... Lasted three days of riding, same thing happened. Gap to rear wheel to bent rotor :mellow: I DID NOT hit it, it was a gap, I,ve got a protector and I'm left footed. Also there are no marks on the disc.

My conclusion? The trial zone rotor is too weak to be used on the rear wheel. I just can't get another explanation for it. In fact I haven't seen many pro riders using it (except Theau Courtes). My setup was correctly installed, I insist. The wheel was spinning freely and the brake lever had a beautiful feel. Also, I'm not a heavy rider, I'm about 64kg (141 lbs).

It is really frustrating and annoying, now I'll have to order another stiffer rotor which can perform well and wait for about a month or more (delivery to Chile isn't the fastest). I obviously will try to make it straight again, but it won't be the same. And I know it will bend again (will move it to the front)

Has anybody of you had similar experiences? Or I'm doing something wrong :( ? And, what other options do I have? My best bet I think is the original Hope Trial rotor or an Avid maybe? Help please! any advice will be heard...

Sorry for the excessive parentesis :P
Cheers from Chile!
Esteban.

a lad I ride with has a trial zone on the rear of his rockman Austin, with the 160 trial zone rotor. as far as I know, he is problem free. and his make a funny squeaking/grinding noise when he uses them. they do feel good though

a lad I ride with has a trial zone on the rear of his rockman Austin, with the 160 trial zone rotor. as far as I know, he is problem free. and his make a funny squeaking/grinding noise when he uses them. they do feel good though

Is he running the PM or IS caliper version? I have a friend who runs the PM version without any problems. Maybe it has something to do with that? who knows :P

What size is your rotor?

160mm

Do you have any pictures of your setup please?

img0002wc.jpg

It is the best I can offer for the moment haha, sorry. Later I'll update better ones

just a thought mate, don't take this the wrong way but have you got the disk on the right way round?

As far as I'm aware, it is on the right way round....

Thanks guys!

All the stuff you have looks right in the picture.

It could be a fail due to the only two things I can think of.

When you fit the rotor do all the bolts till there half a turn of, then pull the rotor in the direction which it will take the brake force and tighten the bolts nice n tight.

I have been told but never heard of it happening of the rotor moving around the tight bolts so the leading edge comes into contact with the bolts, which in some rare cases can bend the rotor.

Or of the hub isn't champhered on the bolt threads. The same could happen. To check this take the rotor off and look at the threaded part of the disc tabs. If the holes are not countersunk it could be causing you issues but this usualy only causes noise from the brake. But we are talking trials abuse so it could cause unnessasary stress in the rotor

Can we have a photo from the back so we can see the rotor running through the caliper to check your alignment

I have two more options that could cause issues.

1) the rotor may have missed the heat treatment process. It's rare but I've seen it before, the rotors are easy to bend by hand.

2) the disc mounts on the hub could have twisted restulting in the rotor bending into a "bowl" shape. It's unlikely it has done that but you never know.

• Like 1

why would you run it the other way around?

So you're more likely to loop out than go down to bash?

Exactly opposite, so wheel is more likely to spin backwards than forwards, hence the rotor should be mounted other way round as front rotor, where 90% of forces is trying to spin wheel forwards.

How many times you see someone with disc brakes loop out?Now how many times you see someone going to bashplate after failed bunnyhop/gap?I´m yet to see someone with hope brake to loop out, but I see them landing on the bashring every ride because the brake just isn´t able to lock that amount of force...It´s basic stuff and you will get that as soon as you start going bigger(Or gain some size).

I reckon Ali might be right. Maybe it was tempered abit to much. I would send it back to hope

Check your bearing in the hub arnt lose to

I also fitted my trial zone rotor line that on my 20" and never had a problem. They are pretty light though.

I think it's how it's pictured in the little manual that come with the brake. But can't remember

• Like 1

How many times you see someone with disc brakes loop out?Now how many times you see someone going to bashplate after failed bunnyhop/gap?I´m yet to see someone with hope brake to loop out, but I see them landing on the bashring every ride because the brake just isn´t able to lock that amount of force...It´s basic stuff and you will get that as soon as you start going bigger(Or gain some size).

might give this a go, see if your right, or not.

• Like 1