front disc brake

ashleys sugden

Hi

yesterday i was out riding, i was pretty determined to get this line done, which is like a double step rock and then a big ish pedal up after.. i was trying it for about an hour and i crashed, i ripped the front brake hose off with my leg somehow. i took the wheel out so the oil didnt go on my disc whilst waiting for my dad to pick me up. when i got home i washed the disc with hot water and the pads.. new hose and re bled and the brake works well, it just doesn't hold at all.. anybody have any solutions to getting it top notch again? ive never had any problems with hydro disc brakes before..

the brake is an echo standard front brake with magura disc and hope mono pro pads. thanks

Yeah it's probably contaminated, doesn't take much to do it. You can clean it all with meths, burn the oil off or just replace the lot which is generally the better shout even if it isn't too cheap.

Edited by Skoze
  • Like 1

find a good hill and be it in again? is it true that its best to use muddy water as it works as a grinding paste? if so try that

That only really works right after it happens , done it a couple times on my dh bike doesn't work amazingly but it'll get you home. Best in my experience , boil them then set fire to the pads and then a tiny bit of sanding. For rotor , give it a good sanding or bathe it in meths.

The brake will work again but not as good as before maybe 75-85% of the previous performance. Best solution would be new rotor/pads.

That only really works right after it happens , done it a couple times on my dh bike doesn't work amazingly but it'll get you home. Best in my experience , boil them then set fire to the pads and then a tiny bit of sanding. For rotor , give it a good sanding or bathe it in meths.

The brake will work again but not as good as before maybe 75-85% of the previous performance. Best solution would be new rotor/pads.

surely just pads will do it, and a good clean on the rotor

Wash your rotor in the dishwasher, and bake the pads of in the oven and then set them to fire, and then sand them :) The rotor will need to be bedded in like when it was new, going to take a while, like one ride. This would be my best bet, good luck! (Y)

At precisely midnight when the moon is full you must sacrifice a young virgin atop the tallest mountain in the High Peak summoning the dragon Hilgoroth. You must then mix a potion of frogs liver, the blood of a loved one and the dew from the first frost of winter, rub it onto the disc and pads and let the dragon cleanse the potion with his fiery breathe.
This magic can only be performed once though after which a new disc and pads is the only solution.

• Like 9

Do the sandpaper thingy. But before you put the pads back in. Leave them on the side for an hour say. If when you come back to check them the dusty surface has spots of damp on them the pads are contaminated with lots of oil. And you can only fix this with new pads and a really good clean on your rotor, no need to replace the rotor.

If your pads are ok then just rebedding in

• Like 1

When my bro's front brake hose split at the calliper it sent oil everywhere.

I stuck the disc in the dishwasher, and cooked the pads off at 150* in the oven for 10mins.
Ran a file over the pads after they had cooled, used some fine grade sand paper on the disc, and set it all back up.

Lethal brake, and still is.

• Like 1

When my bro's front brake hose split at the calliper it sent oil everywhere.

I stuck the disc in the dishwasher, and cooked the pads off at 150* in the oven for 10mins.

Ran a file over the pads after they had cooled, used some fine grade sand paper on the disc, and set it all back up.

Lethal brake, and still is.

You can put them in the oven to evaporate the oil that's been soaked up but they are never as good as new pads

that's some thing I have done in the past works ok