Views on gay marriage

showurcolours

My (little) understanding of the catholic system is that it doesn't matter how much of a scumbag you are, so long as you repent before you die (and don't commit suicide) it's all gravy for you.

Pretty much, unless you do some really awful stuff like murder or rape. If you nick off with your brother's wife though, as long as he forgives you then you can consider yourself "repented". I think it's more to do with making an effort to make up for what you've done rather than just say you're sorry.

It's one of the only things I admire about Catholics over some other denominations, remorse isn't enough alone, you need to try to fix what you've done as well.

That's not to say you'll go to hell if you can't fix your sins, if you make the effort but the person you've wronged won't forgive you, then there's not much more you can do.

No Dave's got it right. In Catholicism everything with the exception of suicide can be atoned for and therefore you can be granted entry to Heaven. Everything else is fine. The Bible actually states that if you rape a woman you need to give her father 50 coins and you are forgiven!

Catholicism is entirely centred around fear of God and a sense of not being worthy hence the line used in every mass to the effect of "all Holy and vengeful God we are not worthy - A-f**kin-men".

How do you fix things in Catholicism though? A few Hail Marry's, say sorry to a Priest and you're good to go. That seems fair! You don't need to show any intent to 'fix' them at all - just repent.

Your last line is bullshit too, that doesn't apply to Catholicism at all. There is no teaching of that - it is not down to the individual to judge you, it is down to God alone which you contact via the priest and your prayers.

Either way it's all complete nonsense and without any relevance as it doesn't exist so whatever you do to sin/repent for them etc it's all the same in the end.

Go to a Catholic mass and really listen to every word. I'll be amazed if you find anything admirable about it.

Yeah it seems Sam has a fairly idillic idea of Catholicism based on his Gran's thoughts towards it. As someone who was raised Catholic and went to church every week until I was 15, have been Christened and Confirmed (and been to enough of the previous 2 events to write a book on them) I consider myself relatively up to speed. I also have a large family who are predominantly Catholic so I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is a whole heap of f**kers within it, and there is a shit-tonne of crap being spewed in every church across the land each week. I do genuinely believe it's a harmful institution that spread a lot of nonsense. I see very little good coming from the Catholic church.

I tell you what is a good test to every Christian or potential Christian. Go to the Vatican, spend some time there and then see how you feel.

It certainly gave me a further insight.

• Like 1

No Dave's got it right. In Catholicism everything with the exception of suicide can be atoned for and therefore you can be granted entry to Heaven. Everything else is fine. The Bible actually states that if you rape a woman you need to give her father 50 coins and you are forgiven!

Catholicism is entirely centred around fear of God and a sense of not being worthy hence the line used in every mass to the effect of "all Holy and vengeful God we are not worthy - A-f**kin-men".

How do you fix things in Catholicism though? A few Hail Marry's, say sorry to a Priest and you're good to go. That seems fair! You don't need to show any intent to 'fix' them at all - just repent.

Your last line is bullshit too, that doesn't apply to Catholicism at all. There is no teaching of that - it is not down to the individual to judge you, it is down to God alone which you contact via the priest and your prayers.

Either way it's all complete nonsense and without any relevance as it doesn't exist so whatever you do to sin/repent for them etc it's all the same in the end.

Go to a Catholic mass and really listen to every word. I'll be amazed if you find anything admirable about it.

I'm from a catholic family so I've been to several masses over the years (not the weekly ones, just the special Christmas ones), and that wasn't my understanding of how things work.

Maybe my Grandparent's church is just a very "modern" catholic church, who knows.

My last line is certainly not bullshit, but I can how you could have mis-interpreted it, as it wasn't clear. I meant that if you go to confession, and tell the priest that you shagged your brother's wife but that you've done everything you can to make it right, he will often forgive your sin.

Some churches are fear-driven I agree, but not the one I went to, if I was never scared when I was at primary school age, then how can it be fear-based? The main thing I took was was that being a decent person is a good thing no matter how you measure it.

Yeah it seems Sam has a fairly idillic idea of Catholicism based on his Gran's thoughts towards it. As someone who was raised Catholic and went to church every week until I was 15, have been Christened and Confirmed (and been to enough of the previous 2 events to write a book on them) I consider myself relatively up to speed. I also have a large family who are predominantly Catholic so I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is a whole heap of f**kers within it, and there is a shit-tonne of crap being spewed in every church across the land each week. I do genuinely believe it's a harmful institution that spread a lot of nonsense. I see very little good coming from the Catholic church.

I tell you what is a good test to every Christian or potential Christian. Go to the Vatican, spend some time there and then see how you feel.

It certainly gave me a further insight.

No idillic ideas here, I'm merely pointing out that even Catholicism isn't always as bad as everyone makes out. At the core of it I agree, it's a terrible institution, but I'm simply pointing out that decent congregations do exist.

I'm simply pointing out that decent congregations do exist.

But would they still be decent in they weren't sitting in church?

Religion is completely mental. If someone goes around saying "I shall not kill another man because God says it's wrong" then they are mental, almost like being a schizophrenic.

You shouldn't kill people because it is wrong, you don't need someone to tell you that unless your moral compass is completely screwed.

Edit: Not getting at you, just making a simple point - well off topic!

Edited by AndrewEH1
  • Like 2

I'm copying Brad and ignored the previous posts..

Why should it be regarded as a problem?
Why is it that gay people should be discriminated against because they're different?

I believe that they deserve the same happiness as a straight couple, and if marriage brings that then by all means allow it.

As far as the bible goes, although there is very little on the subject of homosexuality, Its message is it is a sin, it also states a man could walk on water and burning bushes can talk...

Those opposing the situation, I'm assuming they don't know any homosexual people, They're not all flamboyant and camp... The majority of them you'd find it difficult to tell that they're homosexual until their lips are aro.... decided not to finish that sentence..

gone off on a tangent here..

sorry guys..

Edited by Danny00135
  • Like 1

Why has the CoE been banned from preforming homosexual marriages?

I think their bishops or whatnot voted that regardless what the outcome of the legal issue is, the CoE and the Church of Wales will not allow same sex marriages in their cribs. So yeah, not so much banned as choosing to be sexualityist.

I think their bishops or whatnot voted that regardless what the outcome of the legal issue is, the CoE and the Church of Wales will not allow same sex marriages in their cribs. So yeah, not so much banned as choosing to be sexualityist.

That's completely ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't support gay marriage and is an attendant of the CoE should realise that their religion ONLY EXISTS because Henry VIII wanted to divorce his wife and the catholic church wouldn't allow it, so he formed the CoE.

What utter bullocks. Says a lot about the sanctity of religious sacraments if you ask me.

That's completely ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't support gay marriage and is an attendant of the CoE should realise that their religion ONLY EXISTS because Henry VIII wanted to divorce his wife and the catholic church wouldn't allow it, so he formed the CoE.

What utter bullocks. Says a lot about the sanctity of religious sacraments if you ask me.

What has a straight couple's divorce hundreds of years ago got to do with gay marriages in 2013? Edited by Muel

What has a straight couple's divorce hundreds of years ago go to do with gay marriages in 2013?

The fact that Religion can simply exist to serve one man's purpose for literally nothing but to twist the 'sacred teachings' of another.

Also, the fact that religion is basically pick and choose teachings, loosely based upon no ideals or anything, then people who are religious simply claim/feel morally superior.

I admit, it hasn't got much to do with current topics but I still feel it's an outlandish move on their part.

Oh yeah and discrimination and inequality may have been fine hundreds of years a go but quite frankly it's got no place in today's society, especially when religion teaches that all people are 'equal'

It just really bugs me that's all.

Edited by showurcolours

No the Church of England has actually been banned from preforming gay marriages, but I'm having a hard time understanding why. As far as I can tell, because the Church of England is the countries official religion, it's not allowed to be discriminatory so they banned them from doing gay marriages so as not to cause issues.