time for a serious talk about fat bastards...

ogre

@ Murph, sorry to hear about the crohns dude, that messed me up quite bad a few years ago till I found my trigger.

I have a big, huge issue with weight loss. A HUGE industry of bullshit has sprung up to serve people with over complicated weight loss methods just so they can avoid the obvious solution of eating less. Losing weight has to be one of the easiest things in the world, just don't eat, yet people go to the gym to lose eight, they take harmful pills, they keep eating tonnes but instead follow some bizarre and potentially dangerous diet.

I get abuse in school for being the weight I am, and all I have is less than 20% body fat. I exercise everyday(hard exercise, not doing squats with water bottles and all that bullshit), but being asked if I need a bra, or having someone pull their jumper out so they can impersonate me is actually really saddening, and if you think that abuse is alright then we have a problem. And if you hate my mother for the eating habits she has,you're going to be the one who ends up draining the NHS.

I'm not sure if your post is pointed to me, but if it is; I never bully fat people, I just express my discomfert with fat people, but never towards an individual. A fat person might be near me when I express it, and that is when they feel personally attacked and start to defend themselves. I don't hate your mother, she is probably a wonderful woman like every mother is. But however nice she may be, her weight might discomfert me.

I have a big, huge issue with weight loss. A HUGE industry of bullshit has sprung up to serve people with over complicated weight loss methods just so they can avoid the obvious solution of eating less. Losing weight has to be one of the easiest things in the world, just don't eat, yet people go to the gym to lose eight, they take harmful pills, they keep eating tonnes but instead follow some bizarre and potentially dangerous diet.

'Eating less' is not how you lose weight. Stuffing your face with the right foods is the way to go.

• Like 3

I can't understand the mentality of some people, playing a driving game. It's not a massive ball ache to go and do the real thing, going for a thrash down a back lane in a knackered old diesel mondeo.

Nothing to add on the fat people matter, that just tickled me, driving a shed down a lane is fun for sure, but it's not really a real life alternative to hammering a Ferrari round a race track :lol:

• Like 1

Obesity is such a hard thing for to feel bad for someone to have because it's a very "first world" problem.

I mean this in that, yeah if someone has cancer, then yeah feel bad for them they don't deserve it etc etc.

However if someone's just sort of wasted their lives away and not taken care of themselves enough to get obese then I can't help but think it's their own fault pretty much, and if they cared enough they could do something about it.

You don't see advertisement for african kids weighing 15 stone do you? So I can't help but think it's natural selection.

Of course It's easy for me to say this when I'm only 11 stone and 6'2. So I've never had any problems with getting fat, I don't know if it's easy or if it's something that just creeps up on you.

To be fair, I find the ultra fit people more annoying. Bragging about what they've done in the gym, Facebook status about how people who don't go to the gym are failures in life, the 'lads' who insist on wearing a XXS tee shirt outside in the middle of December....

I'd rather be a fat b*****d any day.

(Ps, I'm neither fat nore muscle...Mr Average)

• Like 1

Bringing this topic back to life. I need more arguments for when obese people try to somehow claim that it is not their own fault :P

Read this http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Why-people-become-overweight.htm

Bottom line is that they may well be genetically predisposed to gaining and holding weight more than other people. However the same fundamental calories in vs calories out applies. That is, it's not their fault they get overweight more easily, but it is certainly their lack of motivation and conviction to weight loss that has caused them to become fat.

Edit: As an after thought, could you/should you blame people that have to try really hard to stop being fat? My knee jerk reaction is that fat people are lazy and weak willed when it comes to their weight. But I've never been what anyone would actively call overweight so I don't really know. It's easy to fault them for being weak, but I've never been in that situation. I like to think I'd never let myself become a fatty, but I do eat enough to make me a lot fatter than I am. But then, maybe that mindset and consciousness about my weight prevents me from getting overweight?

I think you'd have to know the person for a while and observe just how much effort they've put into weight loss before you can criticise...

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

So the title says 'Why do people become overweight?' and unless the article is largely blaming over eating, unhealthy diets and lack of exercise then I'd disagree with it. Genes may be a factor, but it'd say it's mainly down to lifestyle.

I'm one of the lucky ones. It seems impossible for me to exceed 11st. I've been 11st on the dot for 10 years now, even after binge-ing on chocolate and crap for a days. I've not exercised in 1 month too. So come to think of it, genes may play a part in it.

Also, a scientist took volunteers from a prison and overfed them. They all reached a maximum weight and couldn't gain any more.

So the title says 'Why do people become overweight?' and unless the article is largely blaming over eating, unhealthy diets and lack of exercise then I'd disagree with it. Genes may be a factor, but it'd say it's mainly down to lifestyle.

I'm one of the lucky ones. It seems impossible for me to exceed 11st. I've been 11st on the dot for 10 years now, even after binge-ing on chocolate and crap for a days. I've not exercised in 1 month too. So come to think of it, genes may play a part in it.

Also, a scientist took volunteers from a prison and overfed them. They all reached a maximum weight and couldn't gain any more.

Well, I'd take what a Havard publication has to say a bit more seriously than someone's anecdotal review.

But they do consider all factors of weight gain and even though genes can influence your size, the bottom line is that if you restrict what you're taking in, you will lose weight.