3D printed guns (documentary)

Davetrials

What a shitty little "machine gun". If he was set on being a gun manufacturer he should probably set his sights (no pun intended) a little higher.

The receivers I work with as a Combat Systems Engineer are around 3 foot long and fire 30mm ammunition. 3D printed products would never hold up to any the blast or recoil forces, not to mention the pressure/heat of the gases which are released. The greases used in maintenance alone would probably melt the plastic.

The argument that a gun is just a tool is so stupid. Sure, it is a tool but it's a tool designed to kill or harm people. A knife can also be a weapon but you don't buy one for it's offensive capabilities but to chop food.

With regards to printing guns, I'm not going to be worried as long as ammo isn't easily available in my country. Frankly speaking, I'm more astounded by the positive possibilities 3d printing offers rather than some nut cases printing weapons.

I think it would be a crap reason to try and stop 3D printers becoming mainstream though. Although these guys are distributing the CAD for the firing mechanism I doubt many people would be able to gain access to printers accurate enough and with the correct material properties to make even that component work. From what I can see it's not really printing guns anyway- you have to be able to buy all the other parts of the rifle that the component firs into...