Brake Slipping

bike_dummie

Hi,

Recently switched to Magura due to the echo 24 frames not having as disc mount but it keeps on slipping? I don't really know much about Maguras so any tips on stopping this would be great :P

My set up is

Echo 24

Echo 7075 clapms (filed down so they are washerless)

Echo Sl lever body with piston ect

Magura fittings and hoses

ADM pads

TrialTech Carbon Booster

Neon rim

Thanks Adam :)

Booster increases hold.

In past experience, on my Echo 24" with TNN ADM Pads, Echo Clamps and a Neon Rim the booster made it worse.

I'm sure i'm in a position to tell him how to make it better seeing as i came from the same set up.

I can try and find a picture if you don't believe me?

In past experience, on my Echo 24" with TNN ADM Pads, Echo Clamps and a Neon Rim the booster made it worse.

I'm sure i'm in a position to tell him how to make it better seeing as i came from the same set up.

Not sure how a picture can demonstrate how much hold a brake setup gives.

Obviously i was talking about a picture of the set up.

I'm sure you are.

I'm just sayin' a booster will increase hold but DECREASE bite. So agreed, will 'feel' like a better brake without a booster because it will tend to vibrate a bit more, giving more sound and more bite.

But a booster stops the stays flexing putting more of the effort onto the rim, increasing hold. I know you know this, but just for anyone else out there.

However, brakes are black magic and everyones are different so i'm not gonna argue with you.

EDIT: Also I don't need a picture to confirm that you arn't lying to me about your brake set up, life is too short, don't worry about it lol.

• Like 1

I'm sure you are.

I'm just sayin' a booster will increase hold but DECREASE bite. So agreed, will 'feel' like a better brake without a booster because it will tend to vibrate a bit more, giving more sound and more bite.

But a booster stops the stays flexing putting more of the effort onto the rim, increasing hold. I know you know this, but just for anyone else out there.

However, brakes are black magic and everyones are different so i'm not gonna argue with you.

EDIT: Also I don't need a picture to confirm that you arn't lying to me about your brake set up, life is too short, don't worry about it lol.

Yeah sorry for coming across like a knob.

The booster should in theory give it better hold, but in my instance it didn't, for some reason the brake slipped and the noise was minimal (obviously due to the lack of vibrating cause by the booster.)

Back on topic, Try taking the booster off (there's no harm in trying) also try regrinding, and make sure the pads hit the rim square.

Thanks alot guys i will try the brake without a booster :) and i will ask ali to re-grind my rim when he gets a chance as admittedly mine wasn't the best :P

Is investing in a 4 finger lever worth it? how spongey does it make the brake feel?

Thanks Adam

I was using an echo 24 frame with tnn clamps and a tt booster straight on top with shorter bolts.. bite and hold was amazing and lever was solid with a 4 fingerer

personally i would regrind, re setup, make sure you have a good bleed and get a 4 finger lever, with a good bleed you will hardly notice the sponginess, i wouldn't take the booster off till you've tried that yet. boosters do increase your hold, and with a 4 finger lever it should work amazingly, if it doesn't after all that then take the booster off, do a process off elimination

out of interest what year brake and pads are you using?

Thanks alot guys i will try the brake without a booster :) and i will ask ali to re-grind my rim when he gets a chance as admittedly mine wasn't the best :P

Is investing in a 4 finger lever worth it? how spongey does it make the brake feel?

Thanks Adam

Just grind it yourself if you're gunna do it again, practice makes perfect :) no one does a perfect grind first time, but by the third rim i'd done they were pretty much perfect :)

I was using an echo 24 frame with tnn clamps and a tt booster straight on top with shorter bolts.. bite and hold was amazing and lever was solid with a 4 fingerer

Thanks I will defiantly try this before I get rid of the booster :) was it carbon or alloy as I have both to try :)

personally i would regrind, re setup, make sure you have a good bleed and get a 4 finger lever, with a good bleed you will hardly notice the sponginess, i wouldn't take the booster off till you've tried that yet. boosters do increase your hold, and with a 4 finger lever it should work amazingly, if it doesn't after all that then take the booster off, do a process off elimination

05 slaves on a sl body with 05 internals :)

05 slaves on a sl body with 05 internals :)

Just grind it yourself if you're gunna do it again, practice makes perfect :) no one does a perfect grind first time, but by the third rim i'd done they were pretty much perfect :)

Ok I will try again, and any tips?

Ok I will try again, and any tips?

check the tnn video :) just go at it steady and think about what you're trying to do before you start, just cutting grooves in the rim.

also try and be consistant and get the right angle :)

check the tnn video :) just go at it steady and think about what you're trying to do before you start, just cutting grooves in the rim.

also try and be consistant and get the right angle :)

Thanks for the tips :) i will look at the video aswell :)

Hey it was the alloy one :) but im sure carbon might work too ?

I may aswell use the alloy one as you say it works well :)

Thanks Adam