Retro-direct gearing, pedal backwards to go forward, and forward to go

Jake.

Link doesn't work btw.

Quite simple really, those setups work like that as they are essentially 2 separate freewheels just with one chain.

Pedaling one way engages one of the freewheels then the other way the second freewheel. So having differing sizes means you can have 2 gear ratios.

Link doesn't work btw.

Quite simple really, those setups work like that as they are essentially 2 separate freewheels just with one chain.

Pedaling one way engages one of the freewheels then the other way the second freewheel. So having differing sizes means you can have 2 gear ratios.

Just add:

's_Red_Bike

On to the link once you've clicked it.

Sorted it out :)

Looks more like it's a bodge to make a right hand drive freewheel work with left hand drive. Trace it round, if you move the crank 'forwards' then the top half of the chain at the freewheel is the bottom half of the chain at the wheel and as such pulls the wheel the right way.

Wouldn't you have to pedal backwards though? :S the EPs in the freewheel would still be the wrong way?

I don't understand this one little bit! Haha I'm sat with an old freewheel trying to work it out!

One freewheel goes on which can freewheel clockwise and the other one freewheels anticlockwise, the chain goes over the normal freewheel then once it's around that one it gets turned round and looped around a freewheel that's the other way round, then loops round the cranks.

When you pedal forward the pawls in the freewheel that rotates anticlockwise (the first one it loops round) engage and allow you to pedal forward in say 44t by 16t ratio.

The clockwise freewheel will be freewheeling when you're pedalling forward because the chain just pushes through it, imagine pedalling backwards on a normal single speed, the chain will just push through the freewheel if that makes sense?

Hope that clears it up a bit, just explaining that helped me understand it too lol.

what?

post-30389-0-67860700-1368084790_thumb.j

even if the ffw would be mounted the other way round it wouldnt go in the direction youre pedalling?

edit:and it would kill the pulley rolls if it was that way haha

edit:or did you mean "forwards" as in"like the crank´d be supposed to"?

Edited by FamilyBiker

One freewheel goes on which can freewheel clockwise and the other one freewheels anticlockwise

I don't think that's right. Both rear sprockets freewheel normally, in the same direction (clockwise = drive, anticlockwise = freewheel). The bike can freewheel rolling forwards.

Pedalling normally (clockwise) pulls the chain clockwise across the smaller sprocket which engages and drives the wheel. The chain then goes around the pulley and back round the larger sprocket in reverse direction, which spins (anticlockwise) freely.

Pedalling backwards engages the larger sprocket clockwise so still moves the bike forwards. The chain returns via the smaller sprocket freewheeling as it spins anticlockwise.

I love it. Really want a go!

That trials bike is weird though. Pedalling backwards when you're trying to E.g. sidehop / gap etc is just plain wrong!

Yeah that's what I mean basically, one freewheel goes on the other way round. Only way I could describe it to make sense was to say it went on anticlockwise, does that make sense? Lol.