Avid Elixir 5 vs. BB7

bagre15

Neither would hold. On a 180 rotor.

Maybe a 203

A hope trial brake will hold on a 180

This is untrue. Any brake can be made to perform well with the right combination of pads or rotor. Both my Avid Elixir Rs and my Avid Elixir 5s have been on my Inspired when I have had problems with my XTs. Both were savagely good! Almost on par with my Shimano Saint 203mms! Unfortunately my deep rooted hatred for anything Avid took over, and they were replaced by Saints!

Similarly, the best brake I have ever felt and used was a Avid BB7, Nukeproof Pads, 180mm Cleansweep G3 rotor and an XT trekking lever.

I have never got a Hope Mono Trial of any generation to work as well as I wanted, thanks to the stupid IS and washer setup they have going on!

Go for the BB7, get some new pads and one of these levers: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70099

Don't look back!

Which brake would perform better on the front of a 24" bike, an elixir 5 180mm or a BB7 180mm?

BB7.

My 160mm BB7 is easily powerful enough for my 24" (Echo Trial 24", so I'm using it for 'pure trials'. I use a SD7 lever and an Odessey Linear Slick cable), so a 180mm would be insane.

Set it up correctly and don't let any contaminants near the pads or rotor.

the best brake I have ever felt and used was a Avid BB7, Nukeproof Pads, 180mm Cleansweep G3 rotor and an XT trekking lever.

You don't happen to know what version of pad you were using do you? according to CRC there are 3 to choose. just an option for my next set of pads, thats all.

on topic, 45quid for a lever! For example, avid ultimate or XTR can be bought for that second hand and not much more new!

I use SD7s, shopped around and I bought as a pair for £20 sent off google. IMO, much more like it.

Edited by CC12345678910

I use SD7s, shopped around and I bought as a pair for £20 sent off google. IMO, much more like it.

Same, I managed to find a pair of SD7 levers for £12 with free delivery (from Cycle Surgery if I remember correctly).

That is for a pair of levers. A single can be had for the same price as a SpeedDial. It's simply that I had CRC open on my browser and couldn't be bothered to search elsewhere! :P

I prefer the XTs due tot he longer lever they come with. Much more power!

You don't happen to know what version of pad you were using do you? according to CRC there are 3 to choose. just an option for my next set of pads, thats all.

on topic, 45quid for a lever! For example, avid ultimate or XTR can be bought for that second hand and not much more new!

It's the trail version I use boss! :)

James

Hope Trial zones come avalable with post mounts, I haven't used or tried the older is mount ones.

Buy have used saints, zee, deores, lx, slx, xt, avid elixir,code , juicy, bb5, bb7. Magura Louise,Clara marta,hs33,11.

Formula, rx, oro.

Tektro, thingys.

Only saints, zee and codes had anything similar to the hope trial zone. But still don't match the power.

Hope Trial zones come avalable with post mounts, I haven't used or tried the older is mount ones.

Buy have used saints, zee, deores, lx, slx, xt, avid elixir,code , juicy, bb5, bb7. Magura Louise,Clara marta,hs33,11.

Formula, rx, oro.

Tektro, thingys.

Only saints, zee and codes had anything similar to the hope trial zone. But still don't match the power.

The short end of it is everyone has a different opinion. They can all perform the same power wise, although Shimano for longevity/reliability, BB7 for cheapness, Hope for the bling factor...

Sorted :)

Brakes are much like good wheel builds. If you know how to set them up they will work at there best.

Bb5/7 are very easy to setup correctly.

As they use those washers and post mount. So you won't ruin the brake pads by letting them drag constantly. Like I am guessing would have been the problem causing the hopes to be a bag of shite.

The hopes use alloy pistons which unfortunately overheat quickly and won't help much if you fit these brakes to a bike used for trials and paper rounds, school,work ect... If the pads are dragging it will be broken in no time.

Hopes are a faf if you think setting the brakes up correctly is too much hard work.

Bb7 is better in some cases yes.

Maybe you could try a trialzone lever on a v2 caliper to improve the relabilty

I have a 180 bb7 on the front of the triton, it is by far the most powerful disk I've used. Bearing in mind I've had 203mm hopes for 10 years (on the mountain bike) so I know how to set them up, they have always been disappointing on the trials bike, lacking both bite and hold.

I initially put the bb7 on the 203 rotor and it was dangerous, with the speed dial on minimum power/maximum modulation it would still throw you regardless of speed, hence the drop down to 180 which is plenty powerful enough.

Curiously enough I tried a 185 bb7 on the rear and it was less than worthless, couldn't hold on the edge of a curb so got switched back to the maggie.