Pimp new GU frame... as a replacement for my Slate 3

TrashZen

Yep, I finally opted for a GU:

Pimp ride, I tried out various chainstay lengths by tweaking the half-link chain, and finally opted for a 378mm chainstay (that definitely feel very sharp and reactive on the rear wheel).

You can check out the full specs Here

I don't have a scale precise enough to give a weight.

gu2013crank.jpggu2013ftwheel.jpggu2013-1.jpggu2013-2.jpg

Edited by TrashZen

A regular link chain would end up in the same point - using 18:15 and a normal chain it sits at roughly 380mm, so a half link would change that by quite a lot, not just the 2mm you've mentioned there. Similarly, the brake mounts were positioned to work with a full-link chain at 18:15 so I'd imagine a half-link would mess that up a bit. It might be worth counting the links you're using, and if it's an even number just putting a normal chain on - I've only ever had bad experiences with half-link chains, so if you're not getting the benefit of being half way between positions a normal chain would be in, it just seems like a heavier, weaker chain for no reason.

That aside, the bike looks cool (Y)

A regular link chain would end up in the same point - using 18:15 and a normal chain it sits at roughly 380mm, so a half link would change that by quite a lot, not just the 2mm you've mentioned there. Similarly, the brake mounts were positioned to work with a full-link chain at 18:15 so I'd imagine a half-link would mess that up a bit. It might be worth counting the links you're using, and if it's an even number just putting a normal chain on - I've only ever had bad experiences with half-link chains, so if you're not getting the benefit of being half way between positions a normal chain would be in, it just seems like a heavier, weaker chain for no reason.

That aside, the bike looks cool (Y)

Yes, in fact, I first used my old chain, it was roughly at the same spot, but then the rear tyre is was really feathering the yoke, like is has 2mm left, and I thought I would add half a link to space it up (and then the brake mounts were a bit on the fringe and also, I felt the bike was less reactive)

So I reverted to the same chain length (removing a half-link). It is a 1/8"gusset, typically used for BMXs. Supposed to be solid. :'(

Edited by TrashZen

Remove that death-chain right now! Or get a fidelity card by your local dentist...

Whoaaa!!! That's a bit harsh innit? Well, I'll consider it... :ninja:

You lots are getting me scared now... I usually keep my chains for a couple of years, that's when they start breaking into bits... :excl:

I'll keep you updated.

You lots are getting me scared now... I usually keep my chains for a couple of years, that's when they start breaking into bits... :excl:

I'll keep you updated.

Because I really don't want what happened to one of my friend to happen to you.

I'll keep you updated.

Get KMC Z510 HX and change it every season or if possible then even more frequently, then you'll be all right! BTW Epic bike, would ride!

I 've got a fairly simple policy of not changing parts until they break... but hey... I'll see how this chain goes.. (A)

I agree for some parts only.

A chain has to be a secure element. It's not like a wheel which breaks.

Two months ago I broke my nose on a transfert because of a chain snap. The chain (KMC Z610HX) was only 3 months old and didn't have any hits as far I'm aware (and I know how to correctly mount a chain)