Still concerned about this. ..

UK_SPAWN

So since I had the bike its had a carbon downtube protector on it and I just took the guys word for it not being damaged (daft I know)

Just wondering if there was a dent/crack there would there be any audible difference when knocking it ( like the old " how to find a hidden secret door by knocking on the wall")

Heres a vid I just made not sure if you can hear the change in sound.. and im thinking maybe the bashguard bolt hole/weld is changing the tone... I dont want to take off the guard if possible as I cant get a new one right now.

It seems to ride fine and not noticed any creaks or stress sound's. Just having never checked under there it worries me slightly. ..

Vid;

Think mine came with some of them ashesive pads to secure it in place as they tend to slide about under impact which scratches the frame so probably a couple of them holding it down. Just pull it off top to bottom gently.

• 2 weeks later...

the frame has been sanded even by the look of the edge... :(

The carbon protectors aren't edged properly and scratch up your frame when they move around its really annoying. Like isitafix says they are normally stuck with double sided foam tape. If it has been glued on with epoxy it will be okay that carbon stuff is mega strong,

Also mine makes a similar change in tone where it get close to the bb, its just stiffer there.

Can confirm the sound change on mine too towards the bb.

Also, I took 3 layers of clear 3M stickytape (comes in 2mx40cm or something). No scratches and no hassle taking it back off. Just incase someone doesn't want to stick it ;)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Recently put a carbon protector on a mates rockman frame, and took it off a couple of times as well. Same protector as this, wasn't easy to get it off. Just try and pull it off as hard as you can, it won't break haha.

• 3 weeks later...

hello bud, really sorry to shit on you're parade but this frame does actually have a small crack in it, just above the bash plate mount, i know this because i ride with the previous owner in my local town, he told me had had told you it was cracked and you were fine with it? obviously not the case and if i knew he was going to do this i would off told you, this is well out off order, if i was you i would get a screw driver and prise that protector off and check it to see if its spread, you wont break the protector im sure, sorry to be a bearer of bad news bud, i will be having words with this guy

Whats the guys name I got it off?

And whats your local town?

I ask cuz iv allready had this "oh its cracked mate... near the chainstays"... no its not...

So u say its cracked above the mount. I havnt landed on it yet, frame feels stiff, no new or unusual noises.

Cba to take off the protector as its gluedon with some shit... yeah it could have a crack there I have been suspicious. .

But if there is, its not effecting the bike.

Ill be having a brand new frame in afew months anyway..

Cheers

Edited by UK_SPAWN