CPU Usage Question

Joe O'Connor

Hey people,

I recently got a computer built up that cost me a butt load of money. Being fairly dumb on the topic of good parts and stuff, I took a lot of advice from the guy at the shop. I don't doubt the computers speed at all and think its rad, but I am a little curious if I haven't done something right.

I brought it so I could do a lot of video editing and graphics given my notebook being pretty crappy at it. The first thing I've been doing on it is making a lyric video in this fashion (The guy who made this video made a tutorial about how to make them)

Ive got to the stage where I have animated all the word movements and placement and am now messing around with the camera movements. Doing a few test exports to see how it looks with the song with the motion blur and everything on the computer is pushing around 80-85% CPU power and 40-50% RAM. I feel like the RAM levels are alright (I have 16gb), but the CPU level seems to be so high and I don't know if it should be? I don't know if I've not got some random settings somewhere not right, given me being a noob with computer tech stuff. So yeah, there is a question in there, hope you know what I mean?

If its any help, here are the computers specs

post-23508-0-61666200-1374824666_thumb.p

But like I said, I don't know if I've done anything wrong, they set up the computer at the shop and tested the parts and I picked it up. I forgot to ask if I need to and ended up putting in all the CD's I got with it and installing them (Cant remember the names but they were for the graphics card and other parts inside it). Would installing them have goofed up anything they had done? I have no idea....

Thanks people

tl;dr Feel like my CPU shouldn't be running at such a high percentage when exporting After Effects graphics

I'm no expert (shut up then I hear you shout) but surely the job of the CPU is to carry out as many calculations as possible to undertake the task as quickly as possible. If the PC is carrying out a CPU heavy task like exporting/encoding a video or whatever I'd hope it uses as much of its CPU power as it can... If it was using 85% just surfing the interweb I'd be worried.

When I create a video file my cpu is at 100% while it's processing. Is that what you mean by exporting? If so I'd be more concerned as to why it isn't running at 100%.

Edited by JT!

Chances are it won't necessarily be running at 100% because not all programmes will utilise multi-threading fully, cores 1-3 might be at 100% usage (75% total on a quad core) but core 4 might only be at 50% giving your total usage to be around the 80-85% mark.

A good case in point, solidworks doesn't actually utilise multi-threading when modelling/assembling/drawing so a fast i3 dual core cpu will be just as fast if not faster than a 4-6 core i7; it does use the additional cores with the render engine though.

As said I wouldn't worry, if it is thrashing at 100% constantly then your cpu is underpowered or the software isn't optimised for the work you are doing :)

Edited by forteh

Thank you guys! I was kinda getting a bit worried here. Kinda looked at it from the perspective that if its bad to sit your car/motorbike at full revs then it must be somewhat the same for your computer hahahahaha. Yeah like I said, not very smart with the computer jazz.

Well I'm glad to know that I should be up around that mark.

Luke, I don't know how in depth you want to go with model names or whatever but I can copy down what it says on the order form for you...

Processor Intel Haswell Core i7 - 4770 3.4GHz

RAM 2x Kingston 8gb RAM 1600MHz DDR3 - 1600/PC3 - 12800

Solid State Drive Samsung 120GB 840 Series 2.5" Solid State Drive

HDD Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 HDD

This thing Cooler Master G700 Series 700W 80Plus Bronze PSU

Graphics Card Sapphire HD7870 2GB 256Bit PCI-E 3.0 / Direct X 11.1

Misc. Shiet Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Big ass 23" LG IPS LED Monitor that I am glad I got instead of the 27" I was considering but couldn't afford.

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does me...

Thanks people (again)

If you are encoding large amounts of data then I would try to work with it on the SSD if you have the room to do so, hard disk transfer rates can play a huge part of the speed of operation as the cpu can be waiting for the hard disk to read/write :)

Edited by forteh

It's a pretty sweet spec, so I wouldn't be worrying too much that the CPU isn't working harder at all. Provided it's giving the results you were after then it shouldn't be straining too hard, but it still takes some effort to render so that'll be why it's not lower too. Certainly nothing to worry about :)

If you are encoding large amounts of data then I would try to work with it on the SSD if you have the room to do so, hard disk transfer rates can play a huge part of the speed of operation as the cpu can be waiting for the hard disk to read/write :)

Yeah all my programs (Adobe Master Collection) are on the SSD, the dude told me to do that.

It's a pretty sweet spec, so I wouldn't be worrying too much that the CPU isn't working harder at all. Provided it's giving the results you were after then it shouldn't be straining too hard, but it still takes some effort to render so that'll be why it's not lower too. Certainly nothing to worry about :)

Thanks man, I wanted to get something that will hold me up for a while and it seems to be doing the job so far, not that Ive done much at all on it.

Yeah it does everything I want it to do, I was just curious if it was bad that it was running like that, stoked its a good thing ha

What I meant was that the data you are saving/streaming should be working from the SSD as well rather than off the slower HDD. Once you have finished working with it then you can happily move it over to the larger HDD for storage but when it is your current work project you should have it saved on the fastest disk available.

Cheers people.

But surely you see where my concerns came from? Having a CPU reader that looks like a spedo that has red at the high end of it can lead one to believe what I believed right? haha.

As far as I'm aware, red is a bad color in situations like that...........

But yeah, pretty stoked with the spec on it

Cheers people.

But surely you see where my concerns came from? Having a CPU reader that looks like a spedo that has red at the high end of it can lead one to believe what I believed right? haha.

As far as I'm aware, red is a bad color in situations like that...........

But yeah, pretty stoked with the spec on it

Is it the Win 7 built in speedo?

If yes, then it is only a design feature

That cpu, if you wont tweak ( in BIOS changing settings, DONT DO THAT), and if you keep the area clean, it should last "forever" for you, they designed for that purpose, and it does not have any parts that can wear out over time

For example I had a a laptop with a powerful cpu (it was back then) after 7 years it worked perfectly, but slowly. It did not slow then, the programs needed faster processor

The pc you have will be enough for video editing for years for you. Maybe it will not do stuff at 85 percent usage and that fast,( programs will require more power) but it will just take more time, it will work perfectly

If any of you were curious at all to what I was making, I can show you.

Warning! This is a metal song made up by me and my mates "band called bLuud. Do not take any of this seriously because its a tribute song we wrote for some twins 21st birthday. However if you do like it then that is also good. But if you want to mute it then feel free.

Also any feedback is welcome, there is stuff that I could've done better but it was my first attempt and I ran out of time

But yeah, here is what I pretty much bought my new computer to make....